PDA

View Full Version : Stone Cold Gloat Made a Stand

Jim Koepke
03-03-2010, 8:57 PM
Finished making the Stone bench today and put the stone in its place.

I was able to carefully get the stone in place by myself. That sucker is heavy. Maybe all that weight training when I was young paid off. Once it was up on end, if did not have to be lifted far to get it to lay down. Just had to make sure not to crush any fingers.

Since this picture was taken, a strip of PSA 80 grit has been applied and three planes have been lapped. My #4 is now taking even shavings across its width. The #4-1/2 is doing a much better job and the #65-1/2 looks good, but the blade needs to be sharpened before making a final determination.

Guess a few more of my planes will be lapped, then I will have to go out and look for others to fix up.

Like a dog at a water dish, I am just lapping it up...

:p

jim

jerry nazard
03-03-2010, 9:30 PM
Jim,

That is indeed sole inspiring. :D

-Jerry

BTW: A super great idea and execution. Gives a new meaning to "getting stoned".

Jim Koepke
03-03-2010, 9:39 PM
Gives a new meaning to "getting stoned".

Well, a lot of planes are going to learn about "getting stoned."

jim

Thomas love
03-03-2010, 9:41 PM
I like it Jim

Fred Bryant
03-03-2010, 9:43 PM
Looks great. How did you tie it down?

Thx's, Fred.

Adam Woznicki
03-03-2010, 10:19 PM
Man, that is just bad ass.

But it deserves nicer wood, maybe figured walnut?

Adam Woznicki
03-03-2010, 10:23 PM
btw, that works out to 168lbs

Jim Koepke
03-03-2010, 11:20 PM
Looks great. How did you tie it down?

Thx's, Fred.

Pure gravity, it seems strong enough. Joinery is laps and half laps with glue and screws.

Man, that is just bad ass.

But it deserves nicer wood, maybe figured walnut?

Well, I just used my spare and scraps. The top was actually a 2X12 from the Borg scrap bin at 50¢. The end pieces are from the leftover of ripping that down.

Someday I may do something better. Maybe a hollowed log from a storm downed tree.

jim

Tom Godley
03-04-2010, 7:08 AM
That cool !!

Is that granite ? Looks thick!

Chen-Tin Tsai
03-04-2010, 11:28 AM
Cool. Now you can start a plane sole lapping business! :D

How flat is the piece? Did you end up measuring it with a straightedge and feeler gauges, or is it enough to just eyeball it?

Terry Beadle
03-04-2010, 11:57 AM
I would suggest that you put some 2 inch wide by 6 inch long pieces of hardwood along the sides and ends. That way if the saw horse bench ever gets bumped by a sheet of ply or whatever, you will have some chance of catching it before the stone breaks on the floor or a big toe.

Sure is a beauty !

Jim Koepke
03-04-2010, 12:20 PM
Tom,

I think it is granite. I got it from a monument maker.

Chen-Tin,

Not sure about going into business other than to rehab old planes as they are found and then selling them.

I put my excuse for a straight edge on the piece and it looks pretty good. The three planes that have been lapped on it have come out better. One of them was not making even shavings across the width of the blade, it is greatly improved and looks like now it is only a few ten thousandths from being right on.

Another plane was just a little tricky at times and it has improved.

The third plane was just scratched up a bit. Lapping it showed there was a hollow spot on the sole and it also seems to be improved.

Terry,

Thanks for the idea. I may build a cover for it that latches in place that will protect it from free floating elements and accidents.

jim

John Keeton
03-04-2010, 12:47 PM
Good job, Jim!! I followed the other thread a bit when you were searching for a piece. Glad you got this one setup and in use.

Floyd Mah
03-04-2010, 1:29 PM
Now I know what I can bring along when I pay my yearly visit to the ancestors at Colma (http://maps.google.com/maps?client=safari&rls=en&oe=UTF-8&um=1&ie=UTF-8&q=colma&fb=1&gl=us&hq=colma&hnear=Dublin,+CA&ei=yvqPS-7ZMIzetgPqp-3GCA&sa=X&oi=local_group&ct=image&resnum=4&ved=0CDEQtgMwAw) besides my lunch.

Tom Henderson2
03-05-2010, 12:41 AM
What kind (brand) sandpaper are you using?

I bought some 180-grit PSA paper a while back, and it doesn't hold up well to tools; it is essentially dull after only a handfull of passes.

So I'm interested in finding a better solution.

-TH

Jim Koepke
03-05-2010, 1:14 AM
What kind (brand) sandpaper are you using?

I bought some 180-grit PSA paper a while back, and it doesn't hold up well to tools; it is essentially dull after only a handfull of passes.

So I'm interested in finding a better solution.

-TH

Tom,

I am using some 80 grit that I got from supergrit dot com. With this set up I have been using a strong magnet inside some of the backing paper to pick up the metal shavings after every few strokes. With a strip about 4 feet long, I have done four planes soles and it looks like I can get one or two more. It is worn, but still has some tooth to go.

I have been getting the 4-1/2" F-weight rolls. The abrasive is red. I was just talking to the person on the phone about my use and that I wanted to last and this is what I got. My first order of mixed grades worked so well that I ordered 3 more rolls of the 80 grit. OK, just went out to the shop and found the paper work. Their item #10930A is what was purchased for the 80 grit. I have found this seems to be enough for plane soles and backs of blades.

Maybe if you do call them you should encourage them to buy an add on Sawmill Creek. Maybe if enough of us convince them that there are a lot of people here that want to buy from them but we do not know about them they will help support SMC.

jim

Randy Bonella
03-05-2010, 1:21 AM
Now that is one serious lapping stone!!! Great Job Jim. I may have to make a trip to your neck of the woods to lap my #7.

Randy...

Jim Koepke
03-05-2010, 2:22 AM
Now that is one serious lapping stone!!! Great Job Jim. I may have to make a trip to your neck of the woods to lap my #7.

Randy...

Let me know if you want to.

I think Charlie Gummer is planning on coming by in a couple of weeks with a plane to tune.

I could put on some fresh sand paper and elbow grease and fire up the Barby.

jim

Rob Fisher
03-05-2010, 11:58 AM
...item #10930A is what was purchased for the 80 grit. I have found this seems to be enough for plane soles and backs of blades...

Do you ever go any finer than 80 grit? Say 120 or 180? Or is that unnecessary for function and just and aesthetics thing?

Rob

Jim Koepke
03-05-2010, 12:53 PM
Do you ever go any finer than 80 grit? Say 120 or 180? Or is that unnecessary for function and just and aesthetics thing?

Rob

I used to go up to finer grits. The 80 grit seems to give a very good sole. The finer grits would just polish it. Maybe it is time for some pictures of the results.

For chisel and plane blades a higher grit can be used, but the do not need to be on the big rock.

jim

Rob Fisher
03-05-2010, 1:52 PM
Maybe it is time for some pictures of the results.

Yes. I'll second that. :D

Rob

Jim Koepke
03-06-2010, 2:19 AM
Here are some pictures of the planes that have been lapped so far. The block plane is a #65-1/2. The others are two #4s and a 4-1/2 all of these are type 6. Both of the #4s could use a little more work, but both are doing pretty good as is.

Before lapping, one of the #4s was not making an even cut all the way across. It was light or not at all in the center and cutting at both edges. That is now cured by lapping.

The #4-1/2 was also a little twitchy at times and has improved a lot from having a truer sole.

jim