PDA

View Full Version : General tool new Dovetail jig

Dave Lehnert
03-03-2010, 8:35 PM
I was walking around the Home Depot tonight. They just remodel the tool dept. I was looking at a new dovetail jig. Looks interesting at $39.99.

Anyone have experience with it?

http://www.generaltools.com/Products/EZ-Pro-Dovetail-Jig__860.aspx

Victor Robinson
03-03-2010, 9:20 PM
Would be a great value if it works well. Only one review on Amazon...not too hot but also rather vague.

Roger Pozzi
03-04-2010, 7:54 AM
Yes I have it and I think it works very well. It is not the fastest way to create dovetail joinery but, it does do a superb job with excellent results.
My first try created perfect fitting joints and then it gets to be quicker as you understand just how it works.
Personally though, I do not care for the through dovetails it makes but, then again, I really only wanted to do half-blind joints.
The only thing I do different than the instructions is I use a guide bushing in place of the bearings. And, I use mine only on my table, not hand held. Sight line is great that way and I can tell exactly what I'm doing.
I think you would be pleased with it, and the price is great!!

Andrew Gibson
03-04-2010, 11:15 AM
No experience with the jig. The only one I have used was a craftsman one that is buried somewhere in a box. I just don't like being tied into what the router and jig are capable of. The router is a great tool, I just hate the noise and mess it makes.

There is something so freeing about a good back saw and a chisel. I'll sneak back to the Neanders now.