PDA

View Full Version : Excalibur ceiling mount gloat

Jon Todd
03-03-2010, 7:38 PM
Got my excalibur ceiling mount done today. seems to work really good . I used 1x1 sqare stock to secure it to the ceiling.

http://www.ncwoodworker.net/pp/data/1120/medium/DSC00934.JPG

http://www.ncwoodworker.net/pp/data/1120/DSC00935.JPG

Van Huskey
03-03-2010, 8:26 PM
Very cool!

I had been curious about these. I like their over-arm but it seems it would requre some thought for me to use the ceiling mount. I would have to figure a way to get it to swing out of the plane of the blade or up significantly higher.

Scott Rollins
03-03-2010, 9:38 PM
I had not seen this before. I like it. Just another thing to add to the shop...

Peter Aeschliman
03-04-2010, 2:35 AM
very cool setup.

Can you get it completely out of the way very easily? Say for example, if you want to make tenons with your tenoning jig?

Van Huskey
03-04-2010, 2:47 AM
very cool setup.

Can you get it completely out of the way very easily? Say for example, if you want to make tenons with your tenoning jig?

Thats my issue, tenons and cutting keys on box sides etc.

Jon Todd
03-04-2010, 7:31 AM
I used 1 inch square flat stock tubung so i can get some 1.25 stock and make a slip joint so i can move it easily. i will pull 2 pins and the entire setup is gone . takes about 3 minutes

Terry Hatfield
03-04-2010, 8:58 AM
Just a bit jealous. Looks super!

t

Rod Sheridan
03-04-2010, 10:46 AM
Looks very nice, I like the Excalibur guard.

The saw mounted one swings out of the way for blade changes, or can be telescoped to the right as desired.

Regards, Rod.

Sean Nagle
03-04-2010, 11:21 AM
very cool setup.

My Excalibur has a tube within a tube that allows the boom to slide out of the way if required. It takes some fiddling to both move it out of the way and back in place, but it isn't too painful.

Rod Sheridan
03-04-2010, 12:16 PM
My Excalibur has a tube within a tube that allows the boom to slide out of the way if required. It takes some fiddling to both move it out of the way and back in place, but it isn't too painful.

Sean, is yours one of the newer models where the entire boom pivots out of the way after releasing a lever?

Mine is the older style that the boom is held with a bolt, not as convenient as the new model.

Regards, Rod.

Sean Nagle
03-04-2010, 12:21 PM
Mine is the older one. I didn't know the newer one had that feature. That would be very convenient.

Peter Aeschliman
03-04-2010, 12:29 PM
Good plan on the telescoping. Again, great looking setup. I bet it's a huge improvement over having nothing!

I've been thinking about doing the same, but now I'm thinking about a sawstop (with the dust collecting blade guard). Otherwise, I'd be copying you.

Chris Padilla
03-04-2010, 12:32 PM
Peter,

If you're really interested in getting most of the sawdust from a TS, you really need to capture it below AND above the table so keep thinking.... ;) :D

Paul Steiner
03-04-2010, 12:34 PM
Awesome, my school's tablesaw needs a guard and I was thinking about ceiling mount. Looks great!

glenn bradley
03-04-2010, 12:54 PM
Sweet. I often have to swing mine completely out of the way but, ceiling mount was my original intention. Looks great.

Rod Sheridan
03-04-2010, 12:55 PM
Mine is the older one. I didn't know the newer one had that feature. That would be very convenient.

Sean, I saw it at a show a couple of years ago.

I've just taken the old saw and guard out for delivery to their new owner.

I decided I wanted the new pivoting Excalibur for my new saw.

I sure like the dust collection, and finger protection........Regards, Rod.

Sean Nagle
03-04-2010, 1:31 PM
Sean, I saw it at a show a couple of years ago.

I've just taken the old saw and guard out for delivery to their new owner.

I decided I wanted the new pivoting Excalibur for my new saw.

I sure like the dust collection, and finger protection........Regards, Rod.

Post pictures when you get the new Excalibur on your slider.

Rod Sheridan
03-04-2010, 2:04 PM
Post pictures when you get the new Excalibur on your slider.

Will do Sean, probably won't have it done for a month or more, I'm swamped on other issues.

Regards, Rod.