PDA

View Full Version : new bowls...

Fred Perreault
03-03-2010, 5:53 PM
I have been in the shop the past few days, dubbing around. I managed to lay up a walnut and maple bowl, about 11" x 3.25 ". The winged bowl is white oak, 10" x 1.75". All of the wood came from my property, or an adjacent town. Good wood can still be found in this built up area. There are a few older trees coming down once in a while, and lots of "specimen" trees, planted on upscale estates 70-100 years ago. Now there are septic systems, additions and demolitions which puts these trees in harms way. Whoopie, our gain...!

Toney Robertson
03-03-2010, 5:58 PM
Both are very nice Fred.

Toney

Steve Schlumpf
03-03-2010, 6:02 PM
Nice work on everything Fred! Really like the White Oak - just something about the way the grain stands out! Nice work! Thanks for sharing!

Allen Neighbors
03-03-2010, 6:20 PM
Holy Mackerel, Fred, those are beautiful! I love the way you did the layup on that Walnut and Maple bowl... nice design!

Bernie Weishapl
03-03-2010, 6:26 PM
Wow Fred those are beautiful. Really nice woods.

Ted Calver
03-03-2010, 6:35 PM
Great work Fred. The white oak is my favorite. I like your wood collecting philosophy too. Making something nice out of tree that has to be taken down sure beats turning it into firewood or mulch or having it rot in the landfill.

Ken Glass
03-03-2010, 6:50 PM
Fred,
Great looking pieces, both of them. The flow of the square bowl really brings out the wood. The contrast of your Walnut and Maple bowl really is striking and the joint looks super. Well Done.

Baxter Smith
03-03-2010, 6:53 PM
Very pretty bowls. I shall have to file these pictures. I have some yellow birch and Walnut that I have thought about doing something like that with. Did you cut the center out of the walnut top then glue up or did you turn it out? I am thinking that if you cut out the top you could then use it for the bottom section.

Really like the shape and grain of the oak one as well!

David E Keller
03-03-2010, 7:08 PM
Nice duo. I really like the grain pattern in the oak, and the joints in the other piece look great.

John Keeton
03-03-2010, 8:44 PM
Fred, I am kind of partial to walnut and maple, and it is good to see another "layered" bowl. Nice work!

Even with my bias on the walnut/maple, I think the white oak has more character. Very nice color, and the grain really shows well.

charlie knighton
03-03-2010, 8:48 PM
very nice, i am partial to the white oak, mainly because i like chunk turnings, your versatility abilty is shown with the range of your turnings, thanks for sharing

Donny Lawson
03-03-2010, 8:54 PM
NICE, Walnut and Maple always go good together.
Donny

Fred Perreault
03-03-2010, 10:46 PM
Bax, the first time I did not cut out the center, but the next time I will as walnut is not an easy find around here. And I resist buying wood. As for the bi-color walnut/maple, the truth is that I fell in love with the colors when I saw Johnny Keetons' masterpieces. So I took a little liberty with his idea.