PDA

View Full Version : Delta 28-150 9" Band Saw

Brandon Weiss
03-03-2010, 5:45 PM
I just picked one of these up off my local CL. $75, near brand new. A little rust on the bolt hardware from sitting in a shop but has the original blade and works like a champ. It didn't come with the fence or miter gauge though. Anybody know where I can get either of these items? I did some preliminary searching last night and wasn't too lucky in either case.

John McClanahan
03-03-2010, 6:14 PM
I think Sears has a Craftsman band saw fence for about $40. Otherwise, you may spend more on a fence than you did on the saw. I would check ebay for a miter gauge.

John

Adam Strong
03-03-2010, 11:47 PM
I picked one up off of CL for $30 in new condition 6 months ago (I didn't realize quite how good the deal was at the time)... like you, no fence or miter gauge. I use the miter gauge from my Ryobi Belt/Disc combo sander, and for a fence I simply use a straight piece of scrap lumber clamped to the table. I don't need a fence or miter gauge often, I bought this one in addition to my 14" to use for scroll type cuts. So usually anything I need to miter or use a fence for is done on the larger saw.

Brandon Weiss
03-04-2010, 9:03 AM
I picked one up off of CL for $30 in new condition 6 months ago (I didn't realize quite how good the deal was at the time)... like you, no fence or miter gauge. I use the miter gauge from my Ryobi Belt/Disc combo sander, and for a fence I simply use a straight piece of scrap lumber clamped to the table. I don't need a fence or miter gauge often, I bought this one in addition to my 14" to use for scroll type cuts. So usually anything I need to miter or use a fence for is done on the larger saw.

Wow, I thought I got a good price! I didn't really think it was gloat-worthy though and good thing. Your gloat would have whipped my gloat's butt. You're right, I have seen a design in a mag for the makeshift fence. I think I may do that. I was hoping I could get a miter gauge for cheap since it's a smaller gauge. But, if I don't you bring up a good point, I need a bigger Band Saw!! That's your point right? That's the way I read it. Time to shop for another tool.....

Adam Strong
03-04-2010, 9:20 AM
But, if I don't you bring up a good point, I need a bigger Band Saw!! That's your point right? That's the way I read it. Time to shop for another tool.....

lol... Read into it what you want, I know an excuse for a new tool is always welcome. Stick with the 9" for a few months, use it to learn your way around a bandsaw. If you find yourself wanting to progress into resawing, milling your own lumber, or simply needing more capacity of size and power, then you have an excuse for a new tool. The 9" Delta is a great band saw, you didn't go wrong there.

Floyd Mah
03-04-2010, 11:51 AM
I had one of these a while back. I handled the lack of a fence by bolting a 1" angle iron to the front and back edges, so that one flange is level with the surface of the table. This gave me a consistently flat surface that I could clamp my fence to. (as you may observe, there are irregular areas under the table, the ribbing, which make clamping a challenge). I constructed a fence that was in the shape of a "U", with one arm of the U smaller. This meant that I had four faces to the fence, 4", 3", 2" and 3/4". There was blocking inside to maintain the squareness and stiffness. I could accommodate different height work by which face I placed against the workpiece and then adjusting the upper blade support.

The only drawback to this arrangement was that I could not use a miter gauge easily. I did not find that a problem. You could notch the front flange if you wanted a miter gauge to pass over it, or shorten it. Also this BS needs to have a small brush installed under the cover to wipe the lower wheel, else a lot of debris will collect on that wheel.