PDA

View Full Version : Finished this up just yesterday

Fred Voorhees
03-03-2010, 4:55 PM
Been wanting to build a coffee table for many months now. Why, well, the former coffee table in our family room was much to low for the wife and I to eat at while watching television (usually Law and Order SVU - I LOVE Mariska Hargitay!). So I passed the idea of building a new coffee table that would be much higher than normal past my wife and she was all for it. Now, we can sit on the couch and the height of the coffee table puts our dinner plates at a height that closely resembles us sitting at the actual dinner table. Eating while watching tv now is a comfortable venture. Red oak with walnut raised panels, drawer faces, slats, shelf and tabletop edging and inlay. This has been a roughly three and a half week project from start to finish.

Art Mulder
03-03-2010, 5:15 PM
Nice looking table

Makes me wonder what other people would favour in a coffee table... you favoured eating height. Whereas in my house, a coffee table needs to be the perfect height for putting my feet on it as I stretch out. :cool:

Fred Voorhees
03-03-2010, 5:35 PM
Nice looking table

Makes me wonder what other people would favour in a coffee table... you favoured eating height. Whereas in my house, a coffee table needs to be the perfect height for putting my feet on it as I stretch out. :cool:

Art. I am wondering just how long it will take before I allow myself to do that to this one.:D I know I eventually will and I'll use the excuse that I built it....I can rest my feet on it if I want to.:confused:

Jay Jolliffe
03-03-2010, 5:48 PM
Nice table

Ray Bell
03-03-2010, 7:19 PM
Very nice, and 3 1/2 weeks... that would have taken me months, and it still would not have looked as good.

Fred Voorhees
03-03-2010, 7:45 PM
Very nice, and 3 1/2 weeks... that would have taken me months, and it still would not have looked as good.

You give me to much credit Ray. There are quite a few guys here at SMC who are much more talented than I and could have done the project in half the time. I strive to be as good as some of these craftsman.

Tony Shea
03-03-2010, 8:07 PM
Very nice. You should also post in the projects section. Eating and watching TV. Bad habits my man. I can't remember the last time I did that. I have always sat at the dining room table even if I'm by myself, just brought up that way I guess. Good place for good conversation. To each his own and great job on the dining, i mean coffee table.

Brad Westcott
03-03-2010, 8:46 PM
Very nice work and I love the design.

You should enjoy it for years to come.

Matt Roth
03-03-2010, 9:38 PM
Nice! I'd love to see a closer shot of the table top. Looks great!

Clarence Miller
03-03-2010, 9:43 PM
Looks really great. and I like the idea of a taller table.

Fred Voorhees
03-03-2010, 9:55 PM
Nice! I'd love to see a closer shot of the table top. Looks great!

Matt, here is a closer look pre-finishing. Hope this satisfies your curiosity. If not, I can always go snap a close up of the table at any time.