PDA

View Full Version : Pendent Backer

Bernie Weishapl
03-03-2010, 4:33 PM
Since there has been some activity on these lately just thought I would say I got my pendent backer today. I know a lot of you have these and this thing looks great. It did have a note in it from Richard saying that this is even more updated version. If you notice on the thinner piece it has for countersunk holes. This he said is a modification he is doing so you can screw the sacrificial piece on instead of using double sided tape. He said much easier to take off the sacrificial piece.

Ted Calver
03-03-2010, 4:54 PM
Bernie, Bet you can't wait to try it out. I had alreaady thought of modifying mine to screw on the sacrificial backer and am glad Richard has added the holes. Should be easy enough to drill and countersink mine to make the mod. Have fun!!

Alan Zenreich
03-03-2010, 5:12 PM
Bernie,

That's the same version Richard sent to me a few weeks ago, a nice update.

Scott Lux
03-03-2010, 5:15 PM
Nice update indeed. I just glued mine on with ca. Oddly enough it's held. I see a mod in my weekend.

Allen Neighbors
03-03-2010, 6:17 PM
How do these things work? Bernie?

Bernie Weishapl
03-03-2010, 6:47 PM
How do these things work? Bernie?

Sent you a PM Allen.

David E Keller
03-03-2010, 7:12 PM
Looking forward to seeing some turnings from that thing. I'll likely modify mine, but the tape has held well so far. I think you'll enjoy it.

John Keeton
03-03-2010, 8:47 PM
Congrats, Bernie!! Now, it is time to see what this thing will do. Looking forward to seeing another pendant maker - I kind of like looking at those things. Seems there are a lot of variations one can do with the pendants.

Donny Lawson
03-03-2010, 8:58 PM
Who has these and about what do they cost.I was watching the video in the other post and they look like fun to make.
Donny

Brad Vaughn
03-03-2010, 9:05 PM
Since there has been some activity on these lately just thought I would say I got my pendent backer today. I know a lot of you have these and this thing looks great. It did have a note in it from Richard saying that this is even more updated version. If you notice on the thinner piece it has for countersunk holes. This he said is a modification he is doing so you can screw the sacrificial piece on instead of using double sided tape. He said much easier to take off the sacrificial piece.

And the sacrificial piece is very useful I to have the this model and find it very handy. I still use the double sided tape from Home depot for mounting the pendent wood or plastic. Then I don't have to watch out for getting in to the backer and has for the most part worked very well. I find pendents as something to do for a quick turn to be fun and don't forget other things to turn such as fake counter top scarps are very easy to turn into pendents.
grrr cant think of the name of the plastic stuff for counter tops.......:confused:

Paul Douglass
03-03-2010, 9:21 PM
Brad - Corian

I'm thinking that the 4 screws is a bit of over kill although I guess there is no harm to it, but I think three or even 2 would be enough. With out the screws it is being held with a piece of tape....

Jim Underwood
03-03-2010, 9:29 PM
Here's another "how's it work" from me....:confused:

Ted Calver
03-03-2010, 10:39 PM
Post #5 of this thread has links to a couple of how it works videos.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=134399

Graham Sugar
03-04-2010, 12:32 AM
Berni
Could you please advis where you got the penndant backer set from??
I have searched down our way and can't seem to find anything
Regards
Graham

Jim Sebring
03-04-2010, 12:34 AM
Mine is enroute!

Peter Lamb
03-04-2010, 9:09 AM
Does anyone have an email address for Richard Joyner? If so could you post it?
Thank you
Peter

Alan Zenreich
03-04-2010, 10:36 AM
Peter,

I just sent you a private message with a link to Richard's pendant thread. You can PM him there.

Allen Neighbors
03-04-2010, 12:22 PM
I went to the Creative Designs Website, and there wasn't anything on it about the Pendant Backer. There was a way to contact Richard Joyner on that site, though, so I sent him a message, asking how one could purchase the PB. Waiting on a message from him.

Alan Zenreich
03-04-2010, 12:47 PM
He's listed in the Business Classified section of the Penturners.org web site under a thread called Pendant Backer Plate.

Gee, it would be so much easier if we were allowed to post a link <vbg>

Stephan Larson
03-04-2010, 1:16 PM
Ted,
Tried your link and Explorer won't display it. Would like to see the vid myself.

Stephan

Ted Calver
03-04-2010, 1:27 PM
Stephan,
I just tried to log onto his site YoYoSpin dot com and couldn't get on either. PM me your email address and I'll send you the files

Tom Baugues
03-04-2010, 10:42 PM
I finally got out and used my backer plate tonight for the first time. It may take a pendant or two to get the "hang" of it but it looks like it will be fun. I made my first one tonight but no pics. I too have the newest version of this backer plate.

Tom

Paul Douglass
03-04-2010, 10:44 PM
Do an internet search on YOYO Spin, it will be right at the top of the list. Lots of info there.

Jim Sebring
03-04-2010, 11:50 PM
My 'backer plate' came in the mail today!

I spent some time this afternoon making sacrificial backers to attach the blanks to. I used a 2 1/8 inch hole saw (without the pilot drill) on some baltic birch 3/4" scraps.

The next step (not mentioned in any of the IAP threads or Ed's videos) is getting the backup scrap centered on the thin microadjust plate. I think I'll mount the scrap in my 50mm chuck jaws and mount the thin plate in a Jacobs chuck in the tailstock to get both centered. A piece of double backed tape between the two ought to get the two stuck together on center. I can then add some #8 FH woodscrews to hold everything together securely.

Sorry for the long-winded musing, but perhaps others can benefit from my too-analytical approach to getting the job done. ;)

Mike Stephens
03-05-2010, 6:18 AM
Jim you are turning eccentric at least 1/2 of the time you are making a pendant. So I do not think it makes a difference weather or not your sacrificial 3/4" backer is perfectly centered.

Alan Zenreich
03-05-2010, 8:08 AM
Agreed... it's not essential for the sacrificial board be dead center.

Two thoughts...

You could simply draw some concentric circles on the aluminum backer plate with a Sharpie pen and center by eye

When cutting sacrificial wood with a hole saw, use a hole saw with a pilot bit. Then put a small piece of tape on the backer plate and use the tailstock center to press the wood onto the tape, it will be centered

Then screw the wood to the plate.

I'm leaning towards the latter as SOP for setting up the rig.