PDA

View Full Version : Bed pictures

Ted Shrader
11-01-2004, 8:53 PM
All -

This is a cherry queen sized bed built for my daughter and son-in-law. The posts are one piece from 16/4 stock and are 56" (HB) and 36" (FB) tall. The frame construction is 5/4 stock finished to <sup>7</sup>/<sub>8</sub>", the raised panels are <sup>3</sup>/<sub>4</sub>". The finish is stain (cherry gel) and finished with home brew.

The shots are a top view showing the basic construction with the rails in place, a front view for design proportion and a detail of the raised panels.

The last is the expert shop help. He is just about finished with his apprenticeship and will be moving to journeyman soon. :) Grandson - 4 years old.

Regards,
Ted

Gary Max
11-01-2004, 8:57 PM
I love it---The bed looks perfect.
I would hate to guess what that would cost in a fine furniture store if you could find anything near that quality.

Dave Bartley
11-01-2004, 8:58 PM
You have created a very fine heirloom piece of furniture. You are also very lucky to have some good shop help. Stand Pround!! Thanks for sharing with us. It is a great inspiration.

Shelley Bolster
11-01-2004, 9:19 PM
Ted, one of the most beautiful beds I have seen! The curves, the color, the craftmanship - all outstanding! Could you share your technique you used to get the curve on the top of the stiles so perfectly joining the rails?
If your grandson chooses to continue his woodworking career, he couldn't ask for a better mentor than grandpa!
Thanks so much for sharing it with us.
Shelley

Michael Stafford
11-01-2004, 9:27 PM
for a moment. When I saw the posting title all I could think of was you and those pictures that Ken Salisbury altered and put you into a dress. :p :eek:

You can imagine my relief when I discovered it was just pictures of your beautiful bed and not pictures of you in bed :o :eek: . That is more than I wish to contemplate at this hour.

Your bed is absolutely gorgeous. It will be an heirloom for sure. It is very spectacular and I must agree that it would be a fortune if you could come close to finding similar quality. Congratulations on a job well done! :D

Also give a great big pat on the back to your apprentice!

Dale Thompson
11-01-2004, 9:29 PM
Ted,
BEAUTIFUL WORK!!! Observing REAL talent turns me into a werewolf!! :eek: Whatever, the fact that it is made out of Cherry REALLY makes my fangs grow. I haven't had the opportunity to work with Cherry for several years. I really miss it! The scent of the wood is indescribable. So are your skills. Thanks for the pics!! :) :)

Dale T.

Christopher Stahl
11-01-2004, 9:37 PM
Wow, that's a gorgeous bed. Terrific Job!!!!

chris

Jim Becker
11-01-2004, 10:00 PM
Ted....man, you're rasin' the bar on all of us! That is beau-ti-ful! Awesome! Very nice, too... The curl on the panels really sets things off as does the contrast between the headboard and footboard. And my favorite, too...cherry! Very kewel.

Tyler Howell
11-01-2004, 10:03 PM
Very nice Ted! a beautiful work of art.:cool:
Looks like good help too! So hard to find these days

Jerry Olexa
11-01-2004, 10:12 PM
Ted outstanding job!! I'm in final stages of a similiar arch top headboard project (w different curves) using cherry and raised panels, My 2 challenges are: (1)having some difficulty w R&S and panels all fitting together accurately when on such a large scale and (2) How to handle final glue up considering all rails. stiles and panels and curves involved as well as short working time of most glues and clamp limitations. How did you handle?? Your results are outstanding! I hope I can come close. Thanks...

Roger Myers
11-01-2004, 10:33 PM
Ted, that is a terrific looking bed...very nice job! The apprentice looks like he was a big help!

Martin Lutz
11-01-2004, 10:35 PM
gorgeous, gorgeous, gorgeous

Mike Scoggins
11-01-2004, 10:45 PM
Ted,

Very nice! I like the contrasting curves between the headboard and footboard. I love the color of the finish too. I'm sure your daughter and S-I-L are thrilled! Great job.

Mike

John Miliunas
11-01-2004, 11:09 PM
All I can say is that little fella' has one heckuva' craftsman teaching him the necessary skills! :D Simply gorgeous, Ted! The design, the wood and especially the execution, bringing it all together is fabulous. You have every right to feel very, very proud of that creation! Thanks for posting it! :cool:

Boyd Gathwright
11-01-2004, 11:42 PM
…. Nice piece of work, great job and a real craftsman, congratulations on a fine piece of workmanship. You have certainly put a lot of hours in on this project. I imagine it’s a little breezy at night though! :D
<O:p</O:p

Boyd :rolleyes:

<O:p</O:p

All -
This is a cherry queen sized bed built for my daughter and son-in-law.
Regards,
Ted

Jason Tuinstra
11-02-2004, 7:47 AM
Ted, that is outstanding!!! I absolutely love it. I'm sure your daughter and son-in-law, and generations to come will get plenty of use out of this project. Way to go.

Donnie Raines
11-02-2004, 9:06 AM
Very nice.......!

Dan Gill
11-02-2004, 9:24 AM
Man! You hit that one clean out of the park! Beautiful work.

Ken Fitzgerald
11-02-2004, 9:35 AM
Ted.....everyone else has said it all! Fantastic piece of craftsmanship.....Years from now that little guy will be able to say....."I remember helping Grandpa Ted make that !"

Dave Avery
11-02-2004, 9:50 AM
Beautiful work, Ted.

Lou Morrissette
11-02-2004, 9:54 AM
Ted, what a fine piece of work. This thing just oozes with craftmanship. You've set the bar pretty high my man. Great work.

Byron Trantham
11-02-2004, 9:57 AM
Ted,

WOW!!!!

David Hayes
11-02-2004, 10:38 AM
Ted,
Thanks for posting this wonderful project. The cherry looks fantastic.

Good lookin' apprentice ya got there!

Dave

Greg Narozniak
11-02-2004, 10:48 AM
:eek: Georgous Bed. Excellent Work!!! :eek:

Brad Schmid
11-02-2004, 11:08 AM
Beautiful job Ted!
What hardware did you use to fasten the bed rails?

Brad

Keith Christopher
11-02-2004, 11:16 AM
Ted OUTSTANDING, very nice. I like the contrasting curves between the headboard and footboard. VERY VERY flawless !

Ted Shrader
11-02-2004, 11:25 AM
. . . Could you share your technique you used to get the curve on the top of the stiles so perfectly joining the rails? . . .

Shelley -

Thank you for the kind words. To answer your question about the curved tenon ends, hope the following will help.

Both edges of the top rails of the headboard and footboard were cut using a router with a straight bit on a trammel. An 11' 9<sup>7</sup>/<sub>16</sub>" trammel to be exact. The pivot point was moved over 3" (plus bit thickness) for the board width.

Then I clamped the blanks for the vertical stiles on the top rails in the appropriate location and marked the ends. The curved ends of the stiles were rough cut on the bandsaw, then a disk sander finished up to the mark. Tenons were added to the ends with a rabbeting bit on the router table using a sled with curved sacrificial blocks to prevent tear out. Finally, each stile was cut to length on the bottom (square) end and a tenon added in the same manner.

Regards,
Ted

Ted Shrader
11-02-2004, 11:31 AM
for a moment. When I saw the posting title all I could think of was you and those pictures that Ken Salisbury altered and put you into a dress. :p :eek: AAAAH!! :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: I had forgotten about that.
That is scary! Don't even go there. :)

Ted

Lars Thomas
11-02-2004, 11:52 AM
Ted, that is one of the nicest beds I have seen in some time. Very well done. I didn't even think about the curved on the stiles - Glad Shelley asked. Looks great. Lars

Bruce Page
11-02-2004, 1:20 PM
Ted, simply outstanding work! I love the way the two arches balance each other. I would love to see some pictures of it in about five years!

P.s., Send your helper out this way when he gets his journeyman’s card. ;)

Denny Lawson
11-02-2004, 1:24 PM
Ted,

Outstanding work;)
Beautiful:)

Roger Fitzsimonds
11-02-2004, 1:34 PM
WOW Ted, that is fantastic. You got the color just right and the curves balance each other perfectaly. A job to be proud of. Great shop assistant also.

Roger

Chris Padilla
11-02-2004, 1:35 PM
An heirloom is born from the fine hands of Mr. Ted Shrader! Outstanding craftsmanship and design, Ted.

If any of those raised panels are glue ups, you did a terrific job matching them up...I might be able to see some transition but I had to stare at the pictures for a couple minutes.

Ted Shrader
11-02-2004, 1:57 PM
Chris -

Took a lot of board swapping and studying, but every single one of those panels are glued up.

Regards,
Ted

Dave Brandt
11-02-2004, 2:10 PM
Ted,

That is one gorgeous bed! I've always been a sucker for cherry, and you really made some great selections. The panels don't hardly look like glue-ups and the curves are perfect. Great piece!

Mark Singer
11-02-2004, 3:59 PM
Ted,

Excellent work! Beautiful!

Shelley Bolster
11-02-2004, 5:06 PM
Thanks Ted for taking the time for the explanation. I could not figure out how you were able to make a curved tenon and I was sure that there were no pocket screws used! I've copied out your reply just in case one of these years my level of skill will allow me to attempt a simular piece. Once again - the bed is fantastic!
Shelley

Ted Shrader
11-02-2004, 5:07 PM
Jerry -

The same thoughts went through my mind as assembly time approached.

When doing the dry assembly, I marked the stile positions on the rails so they would be available as ready reference for final adjustments with glue in the joints. At the end, all that was left was to check the diagonal measurements for square. (Believe me, I measured every conceivable diagonal after it was glued and clamped ;) :))

Titebond 1 gave me enough working time to get the assemblies together. BTW - The rail/stile/panel assembly was the only thing glued up in one step. The posts (attached by mortise and tenon with pins) were added after the panels had dried.

I used the waste left from cutting the curve on the top rails as clamp pads. Broke out the Besseys, took a deep breath and went for it. Everything was staged to the side to eliminate as much delay as possible.

Good luck with yours. AAPAE (<b>A</b>s <b>a</b>lways, <b>p</b>ictures <b>a</b>re <b>e</b>xpected)

Regards,
Ted

Ted Shrader
11-02-2004, 5:24 PM
Brad -

The hardware is from Woodcraft. Product # 127456. Just mortise the post and rail with 5 x <sup>5</sup>/<sub>8</sub>" mortises and install with screws. Hooks go into holes and draw tight with downward pressure.

Thought about bolts, but didn't want holes on the outside of the posts.

Regards,
Ted

Jack Hogoboom
11-02-2004, 6:24 PM
Ted,

Absolutely beautiful!! Can you talk about how you did the raised panels? I'm not sure how you got a curve in a raised panel.

Thanks for sharing.

Jack

Christine Tiede
11-02-2004, 6:33 PM
Ted-
I'm sitting here in awe of your bed! I think I"m a definite convert to cherry wood, and I sure hope I will get to try actually using it one day!

Todd Burch
11-02-2004, 7:47 PM
Ted, thanks to you, now I am hosed. Connie saw it and has re-emphasized, rather energetically, that she wants a new bed frame for our King bed. (Uggg.)

Very nice! I was hoping to see a fitness model on it, as one might see for a mattress advert... but alas, this is a family-style forum. :0

Todd

Jim Young
11-03-2004, 12:32 AM
Great looking bed. I like the rich color.

Kirk (KC) Constable
11-03-2004, 1:18 AM
Everything else has been said. That's a fine looking bed. :)

KC

Keith Outten
11-03-2004, 4:59 AM
Ted,

Beautiful design and craftsmanship, you should be very proud of your latest project.

Ted Shrader
11-06-2004, 6:39 PM
Jack -

The shape of the top edge of each panel was marked using the corresponding top rail, then cut on the bandsaw to rough size. Snuck up on the line with a drum sander (footboard)/disk sander(headboard). Then used a horizontal panel raising bit with bearing to shape the edge.

Ted

Kent Cori
11-07-2004, 12:06 PM
Ted, all I can say is ... WOW!! That is terrific execution of a beutiful design. I know your daughter and son-in-law will cherish that bed for decades to come.

Now you have to come clean. Was it really you who built that bed or did your apprentice do all the hard work and you just took the credit? :D