PDA

View Full Version : SawStop w/ router table extension

John Coloccia
03-03-2010, 3:11 PM
I asked this once before, but I figured we'll get an update. I want to replace the right extension wing of my SS contractor saw with a router table. I'm looking for a drop-in solution, not a project. Anyone know of anything.

My setup is the SS contractor saw with the 36" extension. I have the cast iron wings, if that matters.

I don't even care what the material is. What's important to me is that I can spend a couple of hours bolting it together and use it. I don't want to fit it, shim it, rout it, scratch my head, etc. And I don't want to search for days looking for the right hardware that will fit the SS with the proper lengths, countersink angles in the fence, etc. I know I can modify a lot of things that are on the market, but I don't want to.

I know, I know....it's a lot to ask for, but I really really just don't want to build anything else for the shop right now. :D

Anyhow, if anyone knows of anything, or a combination of things, that will just work, I'd much appreciate some advice. Thanks much!

Victor Robinson
03-03-2010, 3:18 PM
Hi John,

Timely thread - I was just looking into this yesterday as I'll be getting the CS in April and wanted to know about RT solutions. There's not much out there, but I found this thread by Kerry Adams who has the Benchdog cast iron RT in his 36" SS CS. He likes it. Send him a PM if you want more info.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?p=892213

It seems like there's at least one [almost] drop-in solution for this. Maybe there are others.

Victor Robinson
03-03-2010, 3:42 PM
By the way, seems like the Benchdog CI RT (40-102) is on backorder from most places. There's a $300 plateless version and Rockler has $350 versions (that appear to be in stock) including the right plate to fit your router.

John Coloccia
03-03-2010, 4:49 PM
I'm almost considering just replacing the whole thing with a Jointech system, and selling my rails & extension table. I tried calling the folks at Peachtree to see if they knew if their table was suitable for a SawStop. When they came back with, "Is that a benchtop saw or a floor model?", I didn't bother asking for anymore details. LOL. I've called a few different places, and apparently nobody knows anything at all about these products. At least Jointech appears to know what they're selling.

Anyone have any experience with Jointech?

Jim O'Dell
03-03-2010, 5:16 PM
I've got their smart miter. I talked to a rep at one of the shows a couple years ago that I had failed to reset things after moving my saw, and the blade cut the little plastic end at the right side, and wanted to know if I could get a replacement. He said ship it in, they would redo it and check to make sure it was all still in specs under warranty. Cost to me would be shipping it in! I'd say that's a good company to deal with!! Jim.

Paul Ryan
03-03-2010, 7:49 PM
I don't see why you couldn't get a 27" deep router top and install in place of your extension table. That is what I plan on doing. Right now I have my 36" rails but i am not using sawstops legs that came with the saw. It is plenty stable with out the legs. But if I plan on replacing the black extension table that came with the saw with a cast iron extension. That will add more weight at that end of the saw, so I will have to bolt on the legs at that time. MLCS seems to have some decent choices for router tops that are fairly nicely priced too. I would like to find out if any one is using their tops to find out if they like them.

As far as I know you should be able to put any 27" piece in there and bolt the rails to it. Wa laa you got a router extension. Then it is just a matter of a fence and dust collection. Unless it isn't that simply but I don't see why not.

John Coloccia
03-04-2010, 4:25 PM
Well, I decided to simply do a Rousseau router table insert with the new Triton 3/14hp router. I just took the advice of my local Woodcraft, and we'll see how it goes. I'll install it tonight, and maybe take some pics. The whole setup, including the router and the routing template, was less than $400. Works for me :)

John Coloccia
03-04-2010, 4:35 PM
Re: why not use just any table
I wanted to know it would actually fit properly, ie no interference with their stiffener, proper thickness, no intereference with the leg, etc. No one I talked to knew enough about their product to know if it would all work properly. I didn't want another project.

In retrospect, if I had it all to do again, and if I ever upgrade my saw, I would absolutely buy the saw as stripped down as I could, and install the Jointech system. It wouldn't have cost appreciably more and I would have had a really nice setup. Mental note for anyone looking to buy a saw.

Victor Robinson
03-04-2010, 5:01 PM
John, just curious if anything particular about the Benchdog made you shy away from it? I was planning on using it when I get my SS CS....

John Coloccia
03-04-2010, 5:27 PM
It's much thicker than the original SS extension table. Right there that told me that at least a but of work was going to be requiredto make it fit. I thought I would have a head scratched figuring out how to attach legs to it. It would probably work fine, but I just wasn't interested in working it out, ordering appropriate hardware once it showed up, possibly modifying the saw. I don't know what would be involved and I just didn't want to deal with it because I have an immediate need.

Before you order the SS, definately check out the jointech stuff if you're considering the upgraded fence. I really wish I had done that now.

Homer Faucett
03-04-2010, 7:07 PM
If you're looking at Jointech, check out Incra as well. I bought the Sawstop ICS, I bought it stripped down, and checked out the Incra and Jointech systems, which look nearly identical in most respects. At the time, Incra was less expensive, and their customer support was great with talking me through the system and understanding it. Jointech has had some customer support issues in the recent past, from my understanding. Hopefully, they've gotten it figured out, but I'd check up on that before ordering one.