PDA

View Full Version : Quick Q - Best way to glue a t-track/miter track?

Victor Robinson
03-03-2010, 3:06 PM
When you're placing t-tracks or miter tracks into dados in your jigs, what kind of adhesive do you use?

Construction adhesive? Contact cement? Epoxy? Please recommend your favorite cheap, easily obtainable adhesive. :)

John R Green
03-03-2010, 3:24 PM
Gorilla Glue.....clamp it too.

Stephen Edwards
03-03-2010, 3:29 PM
I know this doesn't answer your question but, thus far, I've always screwed my miter and T-Tracks into the dados of jigs, fixtures, etc. I suppose that might be a problem if you're working with 1/2" material, though.

The reason that I prefer screws is so that I can easily re-use the tracks in case I want to to update the jig later.

If I were going to use an adhesive for this task I'd use this product:

http://www.uline.com/Product/Detail/S-6753/Adhesive-Transfer-Tapes/3M-969-Adhesive-Transfer-Tape-1-2-x-18-

Or, this one:

http://www.uline.com/Product/Detail/S-6753/Adhesive-Transfer-Tapes/3M-969-Adhesive-Transfer-Tape-1-2-x-18-

Their house brand is almost as good and quite a bit cheaper. I wouldn't hesitate to use it either. I've used thousands of feet of this stuff over the years attaching plastic to metal. It bonds instantly and the bond becomes stronger over time, yet you can still remove it if you do so carefully without damaging the metal tracks:

http://www.uline.com/Product/Detail/S-8409/Adhesive-Transfer-Tapes/1-2-x-18-Heavy-Duty-Adhesive-Transfer-Tape

http://www.uline.com/Product/Detail/S-8410/Adhesive-Transfer-Tapes/3-4-x-27-Heavy-Duty-Adhesive-Transfer-Tape

You can purchase as few as 6 rolls from this company, which should last for years for shop uses.

glenn bradley
03-03-2010, 4:21 PM
I am sure an epoxy or other glue of that strength would be fine. I am the sort who changes things as my needs change so I went with screws. The transfer tape seems like a perfect fit; no squeeze out or dripping ;-)

Chip Lindley
03-03-2010, 4:26 PM
+1 on Screws. IF the track ever needs replacing, you will be glad you did. Gorilla Glue is wayy permanent!

Drill and countersink more holes than provided on the miter slot strip. The strip will not lift or shift.

Van Huskey
03-03-2010, 4:50 PM
I agree screws is the only way to go IF there s no constuction parameter that prevents their use.

Jason White
03-03-2010, 5:09 PM
Countersunk flat-head screws only. No glue needed.

Jason

When you're placing t-tracks or miter tracks into dados in your jigs, what kind of adhesive do you use?

Construction adhesive? Contact cement? Epoxy? Please recommend your favorite cheap, easily obtainable adhesive. :)

Chris Padilla
03-03-2010, 5:33 PM
Ok, I can see how screws make much more sense if possible. But I'm using undrilled t-tracks and don't have a drill press. I was wary about trying to drill and countersink metal freehand, so glue seemed like a better option. :confused:

Victor,

More than likely, the T-tracks are aluminum: piece of cake to drill and countersink with a hand drill. I also screw mine down. :)

Michael Prisbylla
03-03-2010, 5:34 PM
I've done it both ways, depending on whether or not the jig was 'permanent' or not. When I have glued I've used the HF 5 minute cheapo epoxy. Great stuff.

Victor Robinson
03-03-2010, 5:39 PM
Victor,

More than likely, the T-tracks are aluminum: piece of cake to drill and countersink with a hand drill. I also screw mine down. :)

You can tell I drill a lot of metal huh? :o

Victor Robinson
03-03-2010, 6:00 PM
Ok, I can see how screws make much more sense if possible. But I'm using undrilled t-tracks and don't have a drill press. I was wary about trying to drill and countersink metal freehand, so glue seemed like a better option. :confused:

Josiah Bartlett
03-03-2010, 6:12 PM
I wish somebody would make a T-track with a dovetail on the outside. Then you could route a dovetail slot into your surface, slide the track in from the edge, and place a couple of screws to keep it from sliding around. It will be very strong, not rely on screws or glue to keep it from pulling out, and be reusable.

Michael Wildt
03-04-2010, 8:52 AM
Great idea. Why not try to submit that to Rockler or Incra ? who knows maybe they will consider it.