PDA

View Full Version : Titanium... a bit off topic

Dan Hintz
03-03-2010, 2:36 PM
I'm starting to get a bit desperate, so I'm posting here in the hopes someone knows someone's uncle's friend's father.

I'm getting hitched at the end of June, and I have been unsuccessful in finding a ring that matches what is in my mind. Here are the specs:
1) Black Titanium
2) Tension setting
3) Square cut diamond

I can always find two of the three, but never all three at once. Most titanium comes from China due to the nasty chemicals used to work it, but that also means custom stuff is practically non-existent... you order what's in the catalog or nothing at all.

Does anyone know a jeweler-type who also works with Ti and would be willing to do some custom work? I can provide pics of what I like, the diamond, etc.

thanks!

Daniel Reetz
03-03-2010, 2:57 PM
Not a direct answer to your question, but there are a load of guys over at candlepowerforums who do serious titanium work for custom flashlights. If there was someone to know, they would probably know.

Jeff Belany
03-03-2010, 3:15 PM
There's a guy on the Yahoo Penturners that makes rings. Check him out; Also, one other. They do make Titanium but not sure about Black Titanium.

wwwDOTjoyjewelersDOTcom

wwwDOTdesignbandsDOTcom/

Jeff in northern Wisconsin

Scott Shepherd
03-03-2010, 3:33 PM
Most titanium comes from China due to the nasty chemicals used to work it,

Nothing says "I love you" more than the fact that 7 people got respiratory diseases in making this ring for you :D

Bruce Dillingham
03-03-2010, 3:49 PM
Check this guy out. He can make any ring you want. I have visited his shop. Very impressive. http://www.boonerings.com

Belinda Barfield
03-03-2010, 4:10 PM
Try Savannah College of Art and Design. They love custom projects.

http://www.scad.edu/metals-and-jewelry/index.cfm

Dan Hintz
03-03-2010, 4:10 PM
Bruce,

I love this quote from the site you linked to:

We are one of the leaders in titanium tension sets, making the tough asymmetric designs that others can't do.
I think I'll try them first!

Thanks for the suggestions one and all. Amy was going to make me "settle" for the black tension TI with the round stone, but I wanted mine to match her square cut. I'll only settle on that one if I have to (wedding <4 months away!).

Dan Hintz
03-03-2010, 4:12 PM
Nothing says "I love you" more than the fact that 7 people got respiratory diseases in making this ring for you :D
:D While probably true (unfortunately), the reason many in the states no longer do Ti is because of the regulatory commissions on handling of those chemicals. The shop in China could be ultra-clean (not likely, but possible), but without regulations like we're hamstrung with here, the work is gone.

Belinda Barfield
03-03-2010, 4:27 PM
Thanks for the suggestions one and all. Amy was going to make me "settle" for the black tension TI with the round stone, but I wanted mine to match her square cut. I'll only settle on that one if I have to (wedding <4 months away!).
[/COLOR]

Please post a pic when you get the ring. I'd love to see it!

Don't forget to stop back by if you get cold feet. We'll try to find someone to knit you a nice, warm pair of socks. :D

Gary Nicholls
03-03-2010, 4:45 PM
Hi Dan, I would also look into Boonerings, I have seen some of his work and he is really good.

Dan Hintz
03-03-2010, 5:28 PM
Ha ha, two people here for Boone so far, and Mike Bush contacted me offline to suggest the same... :)

I just spoke with Bruce (Boone) and he said it wouldn't be a problem. One of his current designs is practically a dead ringer for what I want, except for the black, and that won't be an issue for him. Now all I have to do is find a proper stone to send to him and we're off to the races.

Thanks everyone! :D

Dee Gallo
03-03-2010, 5:33 PM
Dan,

I just got an email from a jeweler friend in NYC - if you can't get what you want from Boone, go to Stuart Moore (NYC)... but bring bags of $$$.

cheers, dee

Kim Vellore
03-03-2010, 6:05 PM
Dan,
Congratulations...
Kim

Scott Shepherd
03-03-2010, 6:22 PM
:D While probably true (unfortunately), the reason many in the states no longer do Ti is because of the regulatory commissions on handling of those chemicals. The shop in China could be ultra-clean (not likely, but possible), but without regulations like we're hamstrung with here, the work is gone.

Whatever you have to tell yourself to get through it Dan :D

Too funny :)

Chuck Stone
03-03-2010, 7:24 PM
I was going to suggest Bruce too .. but someone beat me to it.
he does some really nice stuff..

Dan Hintz
03-04-2010, 7:32 AM
Whatever you have to tell yourself to get through it Dan :D

Too funny :)
Hey, if I don't save on the ring, how am I supposed to afford to pay my crew of underage slaves loading/unloading my meth lab? You can only pay people $1/day for so long before it gets too expensive to stay in business. I gotta make a profit, ya know?

Bruce Boone
03-05-2010, 7:49 AM
Thanks guys. Let me know if I can answer any questions about the rings.

Dan Hintz
03-05-2010, 8:36 AM
Bruce I see by your post count that you're not a new face around these parts... glad to see you chime in. I need to find some free time <insert maniacal laugh here> to pick up the stone, but you'll have it once I do.

Bill Cunningham
03-09-2010, 7:43 PM
Hey Dan is this ring gonna be for the finger or the nose :D

Chuck Stone
03-09-2010, 9:48 PM
Hey Dan is this ring gonna be for the finger or the nose :D

Silly.. the ring is for the finger.

.. the finger is for the nose. :p

Bill Cunningham
03-09-2010, 10:25 PM
Silly.. the ring is for the finger.

.. the finger is for the nose. :p

Ha... Yup, those nose rings are so classy.. Especially when you sneeze :D

Terry Swift
11-29-2010, 11:42 AM
Have a customer here local in a jam to get a titanium wedding ring done and doesn't want the sending out of state issue.

Any recommendations for DFW Area laser people with a Fiber laser to do this?

Need ASAP unfortunately...

:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:

The ring needs engraving on inside of ring. Boone does it if truly titanium but uses rotary only. Found a place in Wisconsin that use a Fiber one; but customer iffy on sending out of state with Christmas. But with UPS / FedEx one or 2 day service - I see no issues myself.

May have to just not tell her it's out-of-state; which is what I should have said to being with. TMI for customers is dangerous. ROTFLMAO

Gotta love this business, if not - then it'll kill because of the stress.

Thanks Dan - you're the man. Love your advice and almost always (99.9%) right on target. Nobody is perfect.

Dan Hintz
11-29-2010, 11:45 AM
Terry,

Is he trying to get it made, or just engraved? If engraved, inside or outside? If outside, that's fine, but it takes specialized equipment to laser engrave inside.