PDA

View Full Version : Questions/Advise on "Nova" Chucks - Please

john brady
03-03-2010, 2:08 PM
Hello all,

I want to order a new chuck, but I'm concerned with the weight of the full size chucks on my inexpensive lathe. I'd appreciate some advise before I place an order...

Originally I was considering the Barracuda2 at PSI (if/when the get them). But now,after Harvey Taylor's post alerted to the sale price of the NOVA2 at Woodcraft, I'm considering the Nova2. Here's my questions / concerns:

Lathes / Chuck size-weight:
I don't have expensive lathes - I have two Delta's - a 14" (one with the swivel head), and their 10" midi. Should I be concerned about getting TOO HEAVY a chuck (for the larger lathe of course) or does "the bigger the better" apply. I also don't turn very large stuff (get kind of squeamish) but figure as I work up in size I'll get over it. Should the Nova2 be ok for my 14".

(If anyone is familiar with it - I'm currently using a Grizzly chuck I purchased a few years ago - their #G8784 (the black one). It's heavy, but don't know if it would be similar to the size/weight of the Nova2. Never used it on the midi - assumed it was too big).

I was originally considering getting the smaller/lighter Nova G3 or the Precision Midi, so I could use it on both lathes. But with the SuperNova2 on sale, if my larger lathe can handle the weight, maybe the larger would be a better purchase. Just don't know if I'd use one on the smaller lathe enough to make it worth the purchase - then regret not having a bigger one.

Spindle Adapter:
Harvey stated in his post on the SuperNova2: "Like the fact the spindle adapter can be changed for about 5 or 6 bucks." ??? - Woodcraft lists the spindle adapters at $23/each. Can you get them elsewhere for "5 or 6 bucks"?

I assume you must purchase the spindle adapter (that fits your lathe) separately when you order the chuck? They don't mention that on their page.

JAWS:
Is the jaws that come with the SuperNova2 sufficient for most turnings, or should I get another set of jaws right away? If so which ones ( I don't turn any one thing in partictular)?

I like the idea of being able to use the same jaws in either if I'd purchase the two Nova chucks. Is that REALLY true? Does ALL the jaws interchange, or only some? (Ex the pin and long nose jaws).

I know I'm asking a lot, but I don't want to make the wrong purchase and get myself into trouble or ruin my lathe.

Thanks...John

Al Wasser
03-03-2010, 3:00 PM
I can't see how the chuck would be too large or heavy for your lathe. Our club has a Vicmarc chuck on a little Jet lathe and it works fine. The Vicmarc is heavier that the Nova. I have the Nova chuck in question and pretty happy with it. I'm debating if I should pick up another while they are on sale. Yes, all the Nova jaws and Sorby jaws will fit the Nova chucks. As far as getting another set right away, I'd wait until I had a need for a certain size then get them. The 2" jaws handle a lot of work for me, but I do have larger and smaller sets

Kyle Iwamoto
03-03-2010, 3:00 PM
The only jaws that do not interchange is the Titan jaws. All the other Nova jaws interchange.

I have the G3, Midi and the SN2. I have used the SN2 on my Jet mini, (just for kicks) and it does work, but it is overkill. The G3 is better suited to a mini IMO. If you plan on upgrading to a bigger lathe, you may want to pick up the SN2. The Midi is only 1x8 threads, if you didn't already know that. Finally, if you didn't already know about the vortex, you may as well get all three. Someday you have all three anyways, and more.

The Nova line is not the "best" chuck you can buy, but IMO it does offer the most as far as selection, expanding and quality.

Bob Hampton
03-03-2010, 3:56 PM
i bought 2 different chucks from woodcraft ..i think the brand is called woodtech or something like that...anyway one is a single handle scroll chuck and the other is a scroll chuck that uses the tommy bars ...both work good and very smooth...i have used them both on my old hf3706 lathe and on my jet mini without a hitch..i really dont think the weight is a big issue...the single handle was $169 and the other was $89...im happy with both
Bob

Aaron Wingert
03-03-2010, 4:03 PM
Size of the chuck or weight of the chuck won't negatively affect your lathe. In my opinion it makes your setup more versatile. Just because you have a mini or midi lathe you don't need to use mini chucks just like you don't have to use mini tools. I've been using a supernova 2 on my Jet 1220 for a long time.

The thread adapter insert for the Teknatool Nova chucks is about $20'ish...Never seen them for $5 or $6. Yes, you must buy the adapter to be able to use the chuck.

I have two novas and they're great chucks. Perhaps the Oneway or Vicmarks are a little better but there's nothing cheap about the Novas (made in New Zealand I think) and they're of great quality. I have a few different sets of nova jaws and they all interchange like Kyle said.

The jaws that come with the supernova2 are the 55mm jaws as I recall. They're great all-purpose jaws for things like bowls and pepper mills. You'll soon find that it is nice to have an assortment of jaws though.

Joshua Dinerstein
03-03-2010, 4:41 PM
The thread adapter insert for the Teknatool Nova chucks is about $20'ish...Never seen them for $5 or $6. Yes, you must buy the adapter to be able to use the chuck.
The WoodRiver adapter is $5 or so. They work in the Teknatool chucks. I know because I tried it. I was having trouble with my Lathe and I blamed it on the insert. After figuring it all out the insert wasn't the problem. I have continued to use that insert since without any troubles.

I think that getting the better/more expensive insert could prevent certain problems from arising but they cheaper ones really do work.

Just my $0.02...

Joshua

Harvey M. Taylor
03-03-2010, 4:55 PM
To clear the air, maybe the 5 bucks is just for the original purchase of a sn2 chuck. Max

john brady
03-03-2010, 5:06 PM
Thanks everyone for your comments / suggestions. I guess I'll go with the SuperNova2 for now and see how well it works on both lathes before I go for the other one.

Thanks again for the help...John

Ryan Baker
03-03-2010, 9:51 PM
I would have no concerns at all putting a SN2 on a mini lathe. It's really not that big or heavy, and it shouldn't be an issue on either of those lathes. Nothing against the G3 or midi at all, but I really don't see the point in bothering with either when you can get the SN2 for less money right now and have a chuck with some room to grow.

The Nova inserts are around $22. The WoodRiver inserts are the $5 ones, and numerous people have reported wobble problems with them. Choose whichever one you prefer. No insert comes with the chuck, and there isn't any special discount on the insert now.

As mentioned, ever Nova jaw except the Titan Powergrip jaw (which you probably can't even find now) will interchange on any Nova chuck. That is a very good feature of the line. The standard 50mm jaws will serve you well for a while, but you will eventually need lots of other jaws. We can't really suggest what to get, because it depends entirely on what you want to turn. Best bet is to add them as you find the need. You probably won't be turning too much large stuff on those lathes, so the bigger jaws are less important for you. The pin jaws will do everything the 25mm ones will and more. The long-nose jaws are nice. You may want a set of the 35 or 45 mm spigot jaws if you do that kind of work. There is a new set of four jaws for small work that may or may not have any value to you. (I always have a SN2 with 50mm jaws and one with 100mm jaws ... and my others vary between many others depending on need. The 100mm are my favorite by far.)

Gordon Seto
03-03-2010, 10:24 PM
One caution about the Barracuda2 is it is 1" X 8 tpi and only has insert for 3/4" X 16 tpi. With the standard of mini lathe is 1" X 8 tpi already; if you upgrade to a full size lathe, you can't just replace with a proper size insert.

The Pinnacle or WoodRiver insert from Woodcraft do fit the Nova. The only difference is the Nova chuck spanner won't fit. You would have to use a wrench. Woodcraft has a very good customer service, if it doesn't work, you can return it and exchange for the expensive one.

Harvey M. Taylor
03-04-2010, 5:50 AM
Chucks are a lot like lathes. You can turn small stuff with a big chuck but you cant [safely] turn large stuff with a small chuck.imho. Max

Clint Baxter
03-04-2010, 6:24 AM
One other thing that hasn't been mentioned is that the Oneway Talon jaws will also fit the Nova chucks. You can get a set of straight ones that have a terrific grip on straight tenons, (no need to turn the dovetail on your tenon.) Or you can get dovetailed jaws like the ones Nova offers. You just have to remove a pin before installing them on the Nova chucks.

Bill Blasic
03-04-2010, 7:42 AM
Nova offers jaws with the serrated teeth in them, 3" bowl jaws, 3" long nosed jaws, and the regular power grip jaws and all these jaws also have the dovetail. I just do not understand statements that say that the Nova is not as good a chuck as another. I've used them all and it is more important that you have the piece seated against the top of the jaws to get the mechanical advantage that the jaws are designed to do. It seems that chucks, lathes, etc. are like cars and brand loyalty - Ford vs. Chevy everyone has their favorite and it is better than the others. I use Novas, why? They put one in with my DVR when I bought it. I then found out that all the jaws fit all the chucks (if I bought a bigger chuck I didn't have to buy new jaws to fit it). They do not cost as much as some others and I do not like changing jaws and they regularly have their product on sale. I'm not going to tell you that the Nova is better than the others but I will tell you that it is on a par with any of the other two big names in chucks that I've used. I'm not trying to brag but I have probably given away to my club members and friends more chucks than some people own due to being a tool junkie who decided to use just one brand (Nova chucks open and close in opposite directions than other chucks so by not having the others all my chucks open in the right direction). Again it is way more important that your tenon is correctly made than what chuck you are using, improperly made tenon design will mess you up no matter what chuck you use.;) Just my 4 cents!:D
Bill

Gordon Seto
03-04-2010, 7:44 AM
Nova has several serrated / dovetail jaws, such as the spigot and long nose jaws.
http://www.teknatool.com/products/Chuck_Accessories/Jaw_Sets/images/JS-SP45.jpghttp://www.teknatool.com/products/Chuck_Accessories/Jaw_Sets/images/long-norsed.jpg
Nova has a lot of accessories. I like their face plate rings also. They are not tied to your lathe spindle size.

john brady
03-04-2010, 1:09 PM
OK - Took the plunge! After sleeping on it, I ordered the SuperNova2 this morning! I was really leaning toward waiting for the Barracuda2 to come in, mostly because of all the accessories that come with it. But as several of you stated, what finally swayed me was the replaceable threads. I don't see myself ever buying another lathe (money/honey restraints), but you never know - as they say 'never say never' (don't keep that picture of the Oneway on the wall for decoration!).

I was also wondering if I'd really use all those accessories-- or are they in the kit more for marketing - to make it look like your getting a better deal or to justify the additional cost)?

A few more questions about the SuperNova2 - If I may...

1. What are they talking about with the SuperNova2 where they talk about the "Backing plate design"... for "indexing accessories". What is the "Backing Plate" - and how would it be used for "indexing"?

2. What other Jaws / accessories would be useful to buy for the SuperNova2? a) With the cost of the Jaws at over $50 each, I would imagine most of you only buy then when the need arises - rather than to buy them to have on hand 'just in case'? b) Would a screw chuck really be useful (rather than using a standard screw chuck as I do now)?

I imagine the Cole Jaws would be useful? However I have two sizes of the wooden Longworth's that I made. But I would assume the aluminum jaws would be much more stable? AND would think the 8" jaws would be more useful than the 5"?

Thanks...John

Jeff Johnson
03-04-2010, 1:40 PM
It kinda depends on what variety of stuff you are going to be making. If you are going to make one size of something, then one Jaw set is all you need. I've been using mine for making boxes, and started with the standard jaw set, then wanted to make some bigger, then something small so I needed spigots, then I wanted to....

As long as you don't mind waiting a few days when you figure out that you'll need the next size jaws, and luck into free shipping or can visit a store with jaws in stock, you should be fine ordering jaws as you need them. But really, a person might as well figure on eventually needing the range of jaws.

Brian Greb
03-04-2010, 1:41 PM
Ok John, I think I can answer your questions.

1. The backing plate is the back of the chuck. The one in question has holes for an indexing pin... I'm uncertain what the accessory looks like as I have an indexing lathe.

2. I have a collection of 7 jaws currently. But I started with the set that comes with it, a set of pin jaws, and the Cole jaws... then I Got the set of mini's when they went on sale(couldn't pass up a good deal). since I have purchased as necessary. I also have a set of soft jaws, They worked nice to make an odd jaw that I "needed".

3. As for the Cole jaws... if you have the longworth jaws and they work for you stick with it.

There is only one "kit" that they offer and that is the set of 4 mini jaws for $100 unless they go on sale again.

I would also recommend a set of bowl jaws... I like them but there not a necessity.

Ryan Baker
03-04-2010, 11:07 PM
The backing plate has the (very small) holes that theoretically can be used for indexing. Teknatool doesn't make an accessory to use these holes for indexing though -- you have to work out that part on your own. Given their location and access between the back of the chuck and the headstock, it would be difficult to use. You had better also use the set screw to lock the chuck on the spindle, because the chuck moving would screw up the indexing. I consider this one to be all marketing frankly.

Youhave to figure out what kind of work you typically do to figure out which jaw sets are right for you. I have almost all of the Nova jaws. I probably use the 100mm jaws 70% of the time, 50mm jaws 25%, and various other jaws the other 5%.

I would say do not buy the Cole jaws, especially since you have Longworth chucks already. Many of us start out using Cole jaws, but before long switch to other methods. I almost never touch the Cole jaws any more -- they really aren't that useful. If you are going to get some, get the largest available ones that will fit on your lathe.

john brady
03-07-2010, 1:38 PM
Hello - Received my chuck yesterday already! Couldn't wait to open it - the SuperNova2 is like a Cadillac compared to my Grizzly chuck.

Wanted to report on my experience with installing the (thread) insert since some commented having issues getting theirs seated properly. Rather than trying to save a few bucks and the hassle of finding one elsewhere, I purchased the Nova insert along with the chuck. Mine threaded in very smoothly and screwed all the way in (since you can't realy see if it seats all the way in - I used a piece of paper as a guage to check to see if there was any gap). It runs true - no wobble whatsoever.

Very anxious to give it a spin - but I twisted my back again the other day, putting me out of commission for a few days, so I'll have to wait a few day before I can get back to the shop.

I'd like to ask for some advise on other jaws or accessories to purchase:

First - Jaw prices - When I first started looking at Jaws on the Woodcraft site, I saw some that had much cheaper prices then what I had seen before - more than half the price of what I thought they were. There wasn't any mention of the brand or chucks they went to, so I pulled out a catalog, and found that those jaws were the WoodRiver brand jaws. Do these fit the NOVA chucks? Are their any other websites that sell the Nova jaws / accessories that may be a little cheaper?

Which other Jaws to buy - the 50mm jaws that came with my SN2 are the same size as the ones on my Grizzly, so I was thinking of getting at least one additional set of jaws. Any suggestions on which jaws you guys (or gals) have found to be useful or necessary? Probably a better question to ask would be which jaws/accessories do you have/use?

Right now I mostly turn small/medium sized stuff, so I don't think I want to get any larger jaws. But would a smaller set be useful? Maybe the 25mm or 35mm spigot jaws? I assume there isn't any job that you could put on the 25mm that wouldn't also work on the 35mm spigot - making the 35mm spigot more useful?

How about the STEP jaws? Would these be more useful with the wider range?

Would another wormscrew be useful? How about the faceplate rings? Is the dovetail tool they recommend REALLY useful (how would you sharpen it and keep the proper angle)?

I know I'm asing a lot - so any any help you could offer would be appreciated. Thanks again for the previous useful information!

John

Mike Peace
03-07-2010, 10:03 PM
I would pass on the spigot jaws until you turn enough to decide that is what you really need. They are primarily for hollowing large pieces. Or as Teknatool says:
These jaws provide a strong grip to unsupported spigot turning applications, e.g vases, goblets. Designed to grip both in the contracting and in the expanding mode.

You may want to go to the Teknatool website and download their accessory jaw manual and review it closely. Lots of jaws and somebody probably has a use for all of 'em. If you turn a lot of small spindle stuff like ornaments, eggs, etc from stock of less than two inches, I would get either the pin jaws or the 25mm bowl jaws. I do a lot of small stuff and probably use my 25mm bowl jaws (never for bowls) almost as much as I use my 50mm jaws. It all depends on what you are going to be turning. I know a lot of folks don't turn small stuff so would never use the small jaws.

I use the worm screw that came with the SN2 a lot for roughing bowls and would see no need for another. I can't imagine I would ever use the step jaws but maybe that is just me.

Michael Mills
03-08-2010, 10:55 AM
I don’t think the Woodcraft jaws will fit a Nova chuck.
Jaws to buy – I have a Woodcraft chuck also. When I got my Nova I purchased the small set of jaws for the Woodcraft ($20). Does Grizzly sell small jaws? Unless you just hate the chuck it should be sufficient for small items and would allow you to not have to swap jaws.
I used the standard 50mm jaws on my SN2 until a good deal came up on the G3 also.
I have now purchased a set of PowerGrip Jaws. The G3 now has the 50mm and the SN2 has the 100mm PowerGrip.
Using expansion or contraction, these three covers almost anything (3/8" to 4 5/8" tenon or recess) I will probably ever turn. .
You have one worm screw…don’t know why you would need another.
Did a faceplate come with your lathe? If so, why use faceplate rings?
Never used step jaws.
If you have a midi lathe the 50mm may be all that you need (I used mine for over a year for everything).
If you think you will turn larger (diameter) items or hollow forms you may want to go to ebay and search for "Nova Premier PowerGrip Jaw by Teknatool" - $44.90 with shipping. From most woodworking stores they would be around $70 if you have to pay shipping and taxes.
Dovetail tool. I made my own, very simple. Nova sells a dovetail tool, however, every manual I have from them states to use a skew chisel. Guess they haven’t upgraded their printing.
Nova makes a great chuck and I’m sure you will enjoy it.

Also, if you go to the teknatool web site, click on Home, click on "Nova Owners Group"
It will give you a link to enter you name and email address to join the group if you are so inclined. (Only the Home page link works)
Also, you may want to look at "Nova Woodworking" on Facebook.
Can you tell I’m a loyal fan? :D
Mike

john brady
03-08-2010, 12:39 PM
Thanks guys for your comments. I did get the manual and I reviewed all the jaws and their size limitations on the website. I kind of got overwhelmed with all the different jaws, hence my asking here for what jaws are really used most often. Later I found the accessory jaw manual. Very helpful. Especially their explanition of the specific uses they had in mind for the individual jaws.

Face plate rings - Yes I have my own face plates. Didn't really understand why anyone would use the rings, which is why I ask.

My Grizzly chuck - I bought those at the time because they were inexpensive. I was just getting started turning and wasn't sure if I'd stick with it. I contacted Grizzly later about other jaws, and they said they didn't have other jaws for that one. I got excited though when I first saw the Nova jaws, because they have the same design on the rear where they match up to the chuck body as my Grizzly and I though they might fit. They fit on perfectly, with the inside screw hole matching up, but the outer is off just enough that the screw won't go in.

Thanks again for taking the time to give me your suggestions.

John

Robert Poling
03-09-2010, 11:03 AM
Woodriver chuck insert threads register in the chuck differently than the Super Nova or G3 chucks. They do thread in but for best accuracy we don't tell anyone they are interchangeable here at Woodcraft. Woodriver jaws are also machined differently and don't interchange. If I can help with questions on these please call 800-535-4486

Bob Borzelleri
03-09-2010, 12:29 PM
Thanks guys for your comments. I did get the manual and I reviewed all the jaws and their size limitations on the website. I kind of got overwhelmed with all the different jaws, hence my asking here for what jaws are really used most often. Later I found the accessory jaw manual. Very helpful. Especially their explanition of the specific uses they had in mind for the individual jaws.

Face plate rings - Yes I have my own face plates. Didn't really understand why anyone would use the rings, which is why I ask.

My Grizzly chuck - I bought those at the time because they were inexpensive. I was just getting started turning and wasn't sure if I'd stick with it. I contacted Grizzly later about other jaws, and they said they didn't have other jaws for that one. I got excited though when I first saw the Nova jaws, because they have the same design on the rear where they match up to the chuck body as my Grizzly and I though they might fit. They fit on perfectly, with the inside screw hole matching up, but the outer is off just enough that the screw won't go in.

Thanks again for taking the time to give me your suggestions.

John

John...

I don't have the face plate rings, but it would appear to me that their primary benefit would be a strong, accurate and repeatable point of contact rather than cutting a recess. The jaws would expand into the rings instead of into the obviously softer wood.

...Bob

Ryan Baker
03-09-2010, 9:39 PM
The step jaws are basically useless. Don't waste your money.

The pin jaws are more versatile than the 25mm, so pick the pin jaws.

Avoid the spigot jaws until you know they are right for your work. They aren't great for grabbing short tenons.

From your description so far, it sounds like the best jaw accessory would probably be the new 4-jaw set they just released (see at Woodcraft), that has four new jaw sets for smaller work.

The Nova line still desperately lacks a set of jaws for compression gripping small items. The 25mm and pin jaws won't do it because of the lack of internal dovetails or serrations -- and the flex in the jaws tends to "eject" the workpiece.

The faceplate rings are just another way to do faceplates. It makes the rings less expensive, because they are much simpler, and mount right to your existing chuck. It saves you from removing your chuck (in some cases), if that matters to you.

You don't need another woodworm screw. You will get another one anyway with every extra chuck you buy (and eventually you WILL buy more).

The only jaws that fit your chuck are the Nova line and the Sorby Patriot line.