PDA

View Full Version : Will this hold a big CRT tv?

Michael Donahue
03-03-2010, 11:57 AM
Hey folks, I've been planning a new TV stand for a while. I currently have a 32" CRT TV that weighs in around 150 pounds, so I need to make sure the stand can take it! I just did a quick sketchup image of the carcass. It'll measure 48" wide, 16" deep, and 27" high. There will be a face frame, screwed on back, I'll use 3/4" oak ply, and I want a 1" thick solid oak top.

I may be overthinking this, but will this be suitable for my TV? Thanks!

Rod Sheridan
03-03-2010, 12:00 PM
Most definitely.

I have a Sony WEGA 32" on a stand that has a 1" thick white oak top, gables spaced at 34".

No detectable sag after 7 years...............Rod.

Lee Schierer
03-03-2010, 12:05 PM
I don't think it will sag as long as you have the back screwed in place. The back would only need to be 1/4" thick. As added insurance add a small leg between the bottom board and the floor at the back center.

Myk Rian
03-03-2010, 12:07 PM
Our 200lb 34" sits on a cabinet similar to it. Most of the weight is on the ends, so the sides of the cabinet hold it up. 1" oak on ours also.
Will you be installing a back to it? That will keep it from racking on you.

Mark Saberniak
03-03-2010, 12:31 PM
you are most deninitely fine the way it is. 32" flat panels are not too heavy plus the back panel which only needs to be 1/4 inch can withstand a ver heavy weight when stood on edge like it will be. Just make sure it is brad nailed or screwed in to the vertical boards also

Michael Donahue
03-03-2010, 12:46 PM
Thanks folks!

Myk Rian
03-03-2010, 2:01 PM
you are most deninitely fine the way it is. 32" flat panels are not too heavy plus the back panel which only needs to be 1/4 inch can withstand a ver heavy weight when stood on edge like it will be. Just make sure it is brad nailed or screwed in to the vertical boards also
It's a CRT, not a flat panel.

David DeCristoforo
03-03-2010, 4:37 PM
"I currently have a 32" CRT TV that weighs in around 150 pounds, so I need to make sure the stand can take it!"

Sounds like a perfect excuse to buy a new TV! LCD's have never been cheaper...

Van Huskey
03-03-2010, 4:47 PM
"I currently have a 32" CRT TV that weighs in around 150 pounds, so I need to make sure the stand can take it!"

However, if the CRT is a HD set then he will be trading down in picture quality! The stupid (IMHO) lifestyle trend of flat panels has made better technologies obsolete, and although it is true that CRTs had serious limitations on screen size, DLP did not and just about the time DLP began to mature with LED light engines etc etc it has been dropped by all but Mits. My 60" Samsung LED based DLP has as good a picture (when both ISFed) as my 60" Pioneer plasma (far and away THE best flat panel) and it cost 1/3 as much. Compared to all but the highest quality plasmas or LCDs it is lght years better but alas my DLP is 12" deep and can't be wall mounted, two things that mean little to me.

To the OP you should not have any sag issues as long as the cabinet has a back and it is well attached to the cabinet.

Glen Butler
03-03-2010, 9:57 PM
I'd wager that that thing will hold up a car.

Michael Donahue
03-03-2010, 10:15 PM

I wish! LOML decided we needed a new mattress first though. She doesn't seem to understand why we need a bigger TV! :D

David DeCristoforo
03-03-2010, 10:57 PM
" She doesn't seem to understand why we need a bigger TV..."

Just keep moving the TV a few inches farther away every day. After a week or so she will start asking you if you are having trouble seeing the screen. That will be your opening...

Van Huskey
03-03-2010, 11:20 PM
" She doesn't seem to understand why we need a bigger TV..."

Just keep moving the TV a few inches farther away every day. After a week or so she will start asking you if you are having trouble seeing the screen. That will be your opening...

Now thats evil! :D Suggesting a man make his wife into Ingrid Bergman and gaslight her...