PDA

View Full Version : Super Nova 2

Harvey M. Taylor
03-03-2010, 11:24 AM
Took advantage of Woodcraft sale on Supernova2 thanks to postings on this thread. Have to get used to opening and closing jaws being in reverse of other chucks. Didnt like the rounded end on the Allen chuck wrench, so will cut it off. Other than that, good serviceable chuck. Like the fact the spindle adapter can be changed for about 5 or 6 bucks. Plan to get another one as soon as budget permits.Max.

Allen Neighbors
03-03-2010, 1:23 PM
Harvey, you'll love that SN2. I wish I was near a Woodcraft so I could take advantage of some of those offers. I need another SN2, but I'm out in the woods of the Texas Hill Country.

Bob Borzelleri
03-03-2010, 1:27 PM
I picked a 2nd SN2 at the sale price. That makes 2 at less than $120 apiece.

However, it don't take long to turn this thing into a mega buck investment what with needing this jaw and that jaw.:rolleyes:

Nick Mastropietro
03-03-2010, 1:31 PM
Ya I got bit too, bought 2 because of all the threads that say they have more than one chuck and figured a little bit more spent now might-might save some money later. I picked up a set of cole jaws too. Does the suck of the vortex ever subside?:confused:

John Keeton
03-03-2010, 1:31 PM
Like the fact the spindle adapter can be changed for about 5 or 6 bucks. Max.Max, I am aware of the sale, but how do you get another size insert for $5-6? I thought they were $22 or so.

Baxter Smith
03-03-2010, 1:47 PM
Does the suck of the vortex ever subside?:confused:

No.:) I picked one up as well with a LR insert so I could turn larger blanks on my outboard side. Picked up a set of 100 mm jaws as I already had two other chucks with 50's. Thought I might as well skip the 75mm ones. The blanks I have ended up turning aren't quite as big as I had thought so the 100's are too big for a good recess DT and the 50's are too small.:)

Jim Slovik
03-03-2010, 1:52 PM
John,
I think he's referring to the after market adapters not the Technatool ones.
Jim

Robert Parrish
03-03-2010, 2:11 PM
Allen, you can order the SN2 from Woodcraft with free shipping until the 27th of March. I just received their new catalog yesterday and the price is $119.00

Jamie Oren
03-03-2010, 3:43 PM
i got one 2 but paid about 20 dollars more... the price for living in 80 and sunny and curly koa all the time
:)

Robert Parrish
03-03-2010, 4:16 PM
Rub it in Jamie! I live in what used to be sunny Florida. I was thinking about moving to Hawaii!

Harvey M. Taylor
03-03-2010, 4:44 PM
John, all I know` is, the insert costs another 5 or so. The salesman said you can change the insert by backing the small allen setscrew and unscrewing the insert and screwing the new one in and tighten the setscrew. Maybe the 5 or so dollars is for the original chuck. I liked it because If if I sell the smaller lathes, I can convert it to the PM3520b, which is very unlikely.Max

Darin Kauffman
03-03-2010, 4:57 PM
This might be a ridiculous question but, is there any lathe that doesn't need an adaptor to use the SuperNova 2 chuck?

I know, I know.....:p

James Williams 007
03-03-2010, 5:19 PM
I couldn't resist anymore so I picked one up. I went with the 22$ insert but I probably could have gone with the 5$ woodriver insert that they sell as others have. Seems to be a smooth and rock solid chuck!

Allen Neighbors
03-03-2010, 5:20 PM
This might be a ridiculous question but, is there any lathe that doesn't need an adaptor to use the SuperNova 2 chuck?

I know, I know.....:p
Yes, Darin. If you want an SN2 to fit a 33x3.5 threaded spindle, it will come threaded with that particular thread, and then cannot be mounted on another lathe.

Darin Kauffman
03-03-2010, 5:28 PM
Yes, Darin. If you want an SN2 to fit a 33x3.5 threaded spindle, it will come threaded with that particular thread, and then cannot be mounted on another lathe.

Gotcha!

Thanks!:)

Dolan Brown
03-03-2010, 8:46 PM
Harvey,

I suggest you use the allen wrench a while before you cut off the round end. I find it easier to insert the wrench with the rounded end. But you might not.