PDA

View Full Version : Woodworking show in Reading, PA?

abram godshall
03-03-2010, 8:07 AM
My son thought he saw a TV ad for a woodworking show in Reading this coming weekend (3/6;7/8th). Does anyone have info on it?
Thanks in advance,
Abram Godshall

Michael Heffernan
03-03-2010, 8:48 AM
Abram,
Yes, there is a show in Reading, PA this weekend, March 5-7. You can find out times and locations at http://woodworkingshows.com/
Lately, the shows have not been very good; fewer vendors and a little disorganized, IMO. But, if you haven't been to a woodworking show, it's worth checking out.

Andy Haney
03-03-2010, 8:49 AM
http://cms.thewoodworkingshows.com/cms/Home/ReadingPA3537/tabid/164/Default.aspx

Aaron Wingert
03-03-2010, 9:50 AM
If you've never been to the show it is great and you'll probably enjoy yourself. If you have been before, don't plan on seeing anything new. Most folks go there expecting to find real good deals, and they're few and far between.

Paul Steiner
03-03-2010, 11:17 AM
This is something I am thinking about too. Next week the woodworking show is in Fredericksburg VA, real close to my house. I have been before when it was in chantilly and I know I will not see anything new and the show has definitely gone downhill. But you can go and find things you would generally have to order out of a catalog and you might save on shipping. But the tickets are $10, so if you don't find something you need you are out $10. Military, police and fire get in free. I still can not decide if I will go and spend the $10.

Ed Griner
03-03-2010, 6:01 PM
Does anybody know what happen to the shows at Ft.Washington,Pa? Ed

Fred Voorhees
03-03-2010, 6:16 PM
This is something I am thinking about too. Next week the woodworking show is in Fredericksburg VA, real close to my house. I have been before when it was in chantilly and I know I will not see anything new and the show has definitely gone downhill. But you can go and find things you would generally have to order out of a catalog and you might save on shipping. But the tickets are $10, so if you don't find something you need you are out $10. Military, police and fire get in free. I still can not decide if I will go and spend the $10.

I couldn't find things as basic as wood glue and #20 bisquits. I'm not kidding you. And I tried. I just the other day ordered kreg screws because I couldn't get them at the woodworking show also. I was thoroughly disgusted with the show. It could very well be a good number of years before I return and give them another chance.

Rick Moyer
03-03-2010, 6:39 PM
If you've never been to the show it is great and you'll probably enjoy yourself. If you have been before, don't plan on seeing anything new. Most folks go there expecting to find real good deals, and they're few and far between.
I was considering going mainly to find something I wanted/needed at a decent price. I've been to them before when they were in Harrisburg and found some good deals on some things I could use. That's been a few years. It's a two hour drive and I am reconsidering as many say there are no real deals and nothing new. I don't care about new, but could use Carter BS guides, clamps, etc. IF I could find reasonable pricing. Doesn't seem like it would be worth my time and expense.
As an aside, I picked up, a few years ago, some Bessey K-body (2-24" and 2-40" with blocks et.al.) for $99, and the Bosch router kit (2 1/4 hp with both bases et.al.) for something like $50 less. No chance of that again???

Steve Wurster
03-03-2010, 7:00 PM
Does anybody know what happen to the shows at Ft.Washington,Pa? Ed

The expo center in Ft. Washington is no more... been closed for years. It's now a DeVry school, at least on one side. The old Honeywell building that was in front of it is now GMAC, who may use some of the old expo center building. I work right across the street, actually.

The closest WW show is in Somerset, NJ, and that sucked this year. That was noted in another thread.

The suburban expo center in PA is now in Oaks. I haven't been there yet, and I think they cater to a lot of trade-only shows (not WW). I'm not sure if the convention center in King of Prussia gets a lot of business any more.

Rob Fisher
03-03-2010, 7:13 PM
Count me in (and my dad too, probably). It will be my first ww show. I am going so I can get my hands on a bunch of different tools. I want to try them out so when I have the funds I know what I want. :D Plus who doesn't like to play with shiny new tools!!??!??!?

Rob

Bruce Wrenn
03-03-2010, 10:12 PM
Does anybody know what happen to the shows at Ft.Washington,Pa? EdAmerican Woodworker owned that show. When Readers Digest bought them, the show was toast. Went twice in the nineties, and had a great time. Don't let the reports on the Sommerset show totally scare you off. For some less than bright reason (stupid, stupid!), there were two shows that weekend (Sommerset and Kansas City.) Care to guess where most of the vendors went?

Rick Moyer
03-07-2010, 2:11 PM
Well, did anyone go?? I decided not to so I would like to hear what I missed, if anything.

Jeff Dorlan
03-07-2010, 2:59 PM
I went to Somerset, NJ this year and last year. The show has changed a whole lot over the years. I'm glad to see SOMETHING here. NJ has no woodworking supply sources (okay, very very few) since WW Warehouse closed shop.

The show is kind of lame. Lots of tools shown. Wimpy discounts. Demos are not that exciting unless you are totally new to woodworking. There were a few cool things to see. If you wanted accessories (push blocks, featherboards, shop wheels, DC supplies, and cheap hand tools), you could find these for a good price.

I want to see new ideas. See demos of great applications. I would like to have the show be a bit larger. There just wasn't much life there. In the past the shows were bigger and more exciting. Maybe it's all part of the economic showdown, but there were a lot of attendees.

Rich Johnson
03-07-2010, 10:07 PM
I was at the one in St Louis..my first. I was impressed by the cabinet making system by Sommerfield Demo, I was hoping to get a lot out of the finishing demo as well but was somewhat dissapointed. Overall I enjoyed the show. No major discounts but a deal hear and there on accessories.

I am sure if I go again and probably will and it is the same thing I would be somewhat dissapointed. Not to dwell on it but dang I love that Sommerfeld system...now if I only had $1500...