PDA

View Full Version : Lunch break fix!

James Williams 007
03-03-2010, 3:49 AM
Ok so I have become addicted and fallen deep into the vortex:D. I bought a new Supernova 2 this weekend and today instead of lunch I went to the wood supplier and found a few chunks of wood to turn. I got a piece of figured walnut a good sized piece of burly figured maple and a small chunk of redwood burl. I'm torn on the maple because its such a nice big piece I would like to turn a bowl out of it but I don't think it would look that good because the burl is only in a few spots. I think I'm going to cut out different sections of it to make wine stoppers, I should get a bunch out of it. The redwood burl is a little soft so it will be interesting to see how it turns. I've never turned stoppers before so it should be interesting. What kind of finish do you guys like for burly figured stoppers? What will make the figure pop? :)

Roger Bullock
03-03-2010, 7:09 AM
I use CA, EEE, followed by Shellawax. Stoppers are fun fast and easy. Enjoy :)

John Keeton
03-03-2010, 7:53 AM
James, I would hate to cut up that maple for stoppers!! It would make a gorgeous bowl. I agree the burl is spotty, but it has some really beautiful curl, and should finish out very nice.

All the wood looks great, though - good selection!

Thom Sturgill
03-03-2010, 8:32 AM
James, cut the maple into a circle and use the corners for your stoppers. It looks like one corner would be burly and the others curly. Over time you'll get plenty of small cutoffs for stoppers and I've even gotten a few pen blanks that way.

Then turn a bowl out of the circle. ;)

Steve Schlumpf
03-03-2010, 8:35 AM
Congrats on your new lathe!

Beautiful chunk of Maple! Have you thought about a square edge bowl that would retain all the character of the wood? Always options but a nice size piece of Maple like this would make a spectacular bowl!

Looking forward to seeing photos of what ever you decide!

Allen Neighbors
03-03-2010, 9:20 AM
I can't remember where I read this, thou shalt not destroy beautiful platter/bowl blanks for bottle plugs... :)

David E Keller
03-03-2010, 10:20 AM
Please don't make stoppers from that whole thing... I agree that you can cut out a circle and use the corners for stoppers if you wish. Boiled linseed oil or any oil will help pop that grain. I usually use an oil and beeswax finish on stoppers, but CA does make for a hard shine if that's what you're after. Looking forward to some photos of the finished product(s).

Bernie Weishapl
03-03-2010, 10:31 AM
I agree with cutting the blank into a bowl blank and using the corners for bottle stoppers. That wood is just to pretty to cut into bottle stoppers. I would use a oil such as danish oil or antique oil.

curtis rosche
03-03-2010, 5:31 PM
try a shallow but wide hollowform .