PDA

View Full Version : Ceiling mount Excalibur dust /Blade gaurd?

Jon Todd
03-02-2010, 11:27 PM
Do any of you have the ceiling Mount Blade Gaurd from Excalibur?

I am thinking about getting one and wanted to see if anyone has it and how do you like it?

Jon Todd
03-03-2010, 9:39 AM
I guess not?

John Thompson
03-03-2010, 10:35 AM
Jason... I don't have the Excalibur but.. I have heard from many over the years on various forums that it is good. I make my own dust guards and I can tell you that having dust collection over-head is a great advantage that your lungs will congratulate you on and your fingers might even give you a thumbs up also. :)

BTW.. General International which now owns Excalibur is having a sale March 12-14 for 15% off I believe so if you are considering one that might be beneficial to you.

Good luck....

Sean Nagle
03-03-2010, 12:39 PM
Do any of you have the ceiling Mount Blade Gaurd from Excalibur?

I am thinking about getting one and wanted to see if anyone has it and how do you like it?

Jon, I have an older model Excalibur mounted from the ceiling in my shop. I find the guard seems to get in the way for narrow cuts and I still haven't found a push stick that can work effectively for narrower cuts. It is convenient to be able to raise it up and out of the way when I need it. I have the 2-1/2" DC connected to the same branch as the tablesaw cabinet and I feel it doesn't pickup as much dust from the topside as I would like. I am considering purchasing a SharkGuard with a 4" port to replace the Excalibur.

Rod Sheridan
03-03-2010, 1:29 PM
John, I have a conventional Excalibur mount on a General 650 and really like it.

I have a 4" hose to the cabinet saw, and a 2.5"? to the guard. (Both hose have there own blast gate from an Oneida 1.5HP cyclone).

Dust collection is great.

The guard can be adjusted so that's centered over the blade, or offset by sliding the telescoping column. This is handy for narrower pieces.

I don't know how the ceiling mount accomplishes that.

That said, the Excalibur and General are all wrapped in bubble wrap, ready to go to their home.

When my new saw arrives, I'll be going with a conventional mount Excalibur for a 12" blade.

Regards, Rod.

Chris Padilla
03-03-2010, 5:39 PM
I have the PSI blade guard mounted to the ceiling in my shop. I'd really like some sort of a telescoping/scissor-like adjustment on it so I can pull it down where I need it and push it out of the way when I don't. It is a semi-pain to deal with when I need it out of my way when rigidly mounted....