PDA

View Full Version : Jet JJP12, LOUSY dust collection - SOLUTION!

John Coloccia
03-02-2010, 11:24 PM
So I fired up my JJP-12 tonight for the first time since Jet sent me my replacement unit (GREAT customer service from Jet/WMH Tool Group, by the way). A few things are different from my original one. Most notably, there's the addition of a blade guard safety (won't turn on with the tables up but the guard in the wrong spot). Also looks like they added a hold down, I think, so wood doesn't fall off the edge when it exits the planar. I don't remember if this was on the old one or not.

The thing I REALLY noticed, though, was it simply would not collect chips in planer mode. I finally tracked this down to the little baffle in the dust shroud that's supposed to move down in planer mode. As soon as I turn on my dust collector, the baffle gets sucked up, it almost immediately clogs, and LOUSY dust collection ensues. So bad, in fact, that I have to manually clear out the chips on EVERY pass. YUCK.

I noticed that there are some holes on the side of the dust shroud. They're placed just right for a rod to slip through and lock the baffle in the up or down position. Hmmmmm. I stuck an allen wrench in there just to try it, and low and behold, the dust collection behaves perfectly well. My Dylos counter hardly even notices it now.

Hopefully, this will help someone else out. It frustrated the heck out of me.

Fred Voorhees
03-03-2010, 6:48 AM
So I fired up my JJP-12 tonight for the first time since Jet sent me my replacement unit (GREAT customer service from Jet/WMH Tool Group, by the way). A few things are different from my original one. Most notably, there's the addition of a blade guard safety (won't turn on with the tables up but the guard in the wrong spot). Also looks like they added a hold down, I think, so wood doesn't fall off the edge when it exits the planar. I don't remember if this was on the old one or not.

The thing I REALLY noticed, though, was it simply would not collect chips in planer mode. I finally tracked this down to the little baffle in the dust shroud that's supposed to move down in planer mode. As soon as I turn on my dust collector, the baffle gets sucked up, it almost immediately clogs, and LOUSY dust collection ensues. So bad, in fact, that I have to manually clear out the chips on EVERY pass. YUCK.

I noticed that there are some holes on the side of the dust shroud. They're placed just right for a rod to slip through and lock the baffle in the up or down position. Hmmmmm. I stuck an allen wrench in there just to try it, and low and behold, the dust collection behaves perfectly well. My Dylos counter hardly even notices it now.

Hopefully, this will help someone else out. It frustrated the heck out of me.

John, Curt Harms mentioned this problem to me, but he figured out what was happening. Are you making the switch from jointer mode to planer mode with the dust collection remaining on? If so, the suction of the collection system will keep that flap in the same position (jointer mode) unless you turn the collection system off. This could be your problem. I have used both the planer and jointer modes on my new JJP-12 and have had no problem.

John Coloccia
03-03-2010, 9:23 AM
John, Curt Harms mentioned this problem to me, but he figured out what was happening. Are you making the switch from jointer mode to planer mode with the dust collection remaining on? If so, the suction of the collection system will keep that flap in the same position (jointer mode) unless you turn the collection system off. This could be your problem. I have used both the planer and jointer modes on my new JJP-12 and have had no problem.

I noticed that on JJP-12 #1. You definately have to shut the DC off when switching modes. This problem is different and my first one didn't exhibit it. The baffle will suck up after you turn the DC on. It doesn't suck up all the way, but it's enough that there's no room for the chips to clear the opening, and the first board I pass through completely clogs it up. I think they must have redesigned the shroud when they added the safety switch, or for some other reason....or I have one that's out of tolerance a bit.

That's a good tip, though. It will NOT work correctly if the DC is on when changing modes, at least not if you have a large DC like I do.

After I posted that last night, I did a bit of searching and found at least one more guy that had the same problem, and he solved it pretty much the same way. If you look at the shroud, the hole placement is such that it's obvious they had planned a pin to go in there and hold the baffle in the up and down positions (there's two holes on each side....a pin would slide all the way through and lock in place very nicely). For whatever reason, I guess they decided not to use that as no pin is included, but someone was thinking ahead when they designed it :D I don't remember those holes being there on JJP-12 #1, but I could be wrong.

John Coloccia
03-03-2010, 9:29 AM
I'll also mention, if I haven't already, that the planer snipe on these units is practically NOTHING. Their infeed and outfeed rollers keep that board dead flat going through the unit. It takes a little bit of touch to get the infeed roller to accept the work, but once it's feeding, the board will be FLAT.

My only complaints are:
1) I wish it had an adjustable feed rate. I'd really like to lower it for figured woods. Really not a big deal. I just take lighter cuts, and that helps greatly. If I REALLY wanted to fix it, I could probably just change out a couple of pullies. It's obviously not reallly a problem, and I'm just picking nits.

2) The fence. Since I only ever use it at 90, it's fine for me, but the adjustment is not that great. If I were adjusting it all the time, I would be looking for an aftermarket solution. Once it's set it stays, but setting it can be a pain.

Other than that, I really love this unit.

Chris Nolin
03-03-2010, 11:26 AM
I remember seeing this issue awhile back:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?p=887933

I should be getting mine in May, so I like to see problems like this getting worked out. Thanks for the post!

Curt Harms
03-03-2010, 11:49 AM
I'll also mention, if I haven't already, that the planer snipe on these units is practically NOTHING. Their infeed and outfeed rollers keep that board dead flat going through the unit. It takes a little bit of touch to get the infeed roller to accept the work, but once it's feeding, the board will be FLAT.

My only complaints are:
1) I wish it had an adjustable feed rate. I'd really like to lower it for figured woods. Really not a big deal. I just take lighter cuts, and that helps greatly. If I REALLY wanted to fix it, I could probably just change out a couple of pullies. It's obviously not reallly a problem, and I'm just picking nits.

2) The fence. Since I only ever use it at 90, it's fine for me, but the adjustment is not that great. If I were adjusting it all the time, I would be looking for an aftermarket solution. Once it's set it stays, but setting it can be a pain.

Other than that, I really love this unit.

The fence stops are "suboptimal". I did away with mine when I made the fence tilt both ways. I just use a speed square that seems to be quite accurate and the fence doesn't seem to move as I tighten the knobs. As far as feed speed, it doesn't look all that easy to change pulleys or sprockets. I guess if someone REALLY wanted to be clever they could put a variable speed DC motor in the base and use that to power the feed roller drive train. I'm not volunteering ;).

David Omatick
03-03-2010, 8:07 PM
Hello,

Not to hijack the thread - I am on the fence between the Jet JJP12HH or the Hammer A3-31. Not really looking at the Grizzly because I would have to pay shipping & sales tax, and I prefer the Euro guard on the other two machines.

Is your unit the JJP12HH or the standard cutter version?

You sound very pleased with your Jet.

Thanks,

David

John Coloccia
03-03-2010, 11:14 PM
Mine is the standard. The HH wasn't available yet when I bought mine.

Generally, I am pretty pleased with it. I can't talk to the other machines since I've never used them. The Mini-Max and Hammer seem like pretty nice machines too.

The changeover on the Jet is unbelievably simple. Lift two handles, lift the bed, and swing the dust shroud. Going the other way is just the opposite. Some machines are a bit more complex.

Now, the Hammer or the Mini-Max are probably nicer....maybe. I don't know, I haven't seen them but I assume that they are. I believe they're priced something like $1500 to $3000 more than the $2000 Jet. I felt the Jet was a good fit for what I was doing, and didn't think the others were a good value for what I needed. I do sincerely believe that in it's class, competing with the Grizzlys and maybe the Laguna, the Jet has them all beat. That's just my opinion.

Personally, if I had an extra $1000 to spend, I would probably put it towards a helical head instead of the Hammer. That's where I think I'd get the most bang for the buck. Again, this is all just based on my own priorities.

Rod Sheridan
03-04-2010, 8:42 AM
I'm in the reverse position of John, I bought the Hammer A3-31 and really like it.

Jet isn't common in Canada, I haven't seen the combination planer, so I can't comment on it.

Felder/Hammer is having a March sale in the US, the A3-31 is one of the discounted models for the few days of the sale.

Regards, Rod.