PDA

View Full Version : The Little Things Add Up

Jim Rimmer
03-02-2010, 10:27 PM
As I read through the threads here and see people that go for a bottle of glue or can of stain and end up leaving $$$$$ at Rockler or Woodcraft, I noticed another thing that happens to me. I read the threads and see something somebody built or bought and think, wow, I could build that or use that and it's only $9.99 or $20 or $24.99 and the next thing you know, I'm dreaming of $100s of things that would make my life easier/better. Just today, the Rockler micro-adjust is on sale for $9.99; they had a router bit I need to add for $9.99 (now $29.99) and I would like the paddle switch for my router table $34.95. So already I'm dreaming somewhere between $55 and $85 and I just spent $50+ last week. I know the answer but, Does it ever stop? :eek:

Mitchell Andrus
03-03-2010, 1:35 AM
Wanting more than we've got is how we moved out of caves and into 4 bedroom, 3 bath homes with 2 cars in the garage(s).

I want better health, a bigger yard, a longer happier life for me and my family and yes.... sharper saw blades. ....And shrubbery with a white picket fence.

Nope, it never stops.

Bob Rufener
03-03-2010, 7:24 PM
It goes along with the theory that the one who dies with the most toys wins. I've got a long way to go!!!

Jude Tuliszewski
03-03-2010, 8:27 PM
The never ending quest, when is good enough......good enough.

Michael MacDonald
03-04-2010, 3:22 PM
Wanting more than we've got is how we moved out of caves and into 4 bedroom, 3 bath homes with 2 cars in the garage(s).

I thought my wife was the reason I did that... Wanting more tools is why I have a small box in my desk with cash in it. Oh wait, my wife is also the reason for that....

What was this post about again? Is this hobby far and above every other in terms of gadgets? How does it compare to other gadget-intensive activities... golf? fishing?

Jim Rimmer
03-04-2010, 9:22 PM
I thought my wife was the reason I did that... Wanting more tools is why I have a small box in my desk with cash in it. Oh wait, my wife is also the reason for that....

What was this post about again? Is this hobby far and above every other in terms of gadgets? How does it compare to other gadget-intensive activities... golf? fishing?
I think you may be right that all hobbies are $ eaters. When I golfed (a lot) I got into making my own clubs. But I didn't see someboy elses club and want it or want to make something like it like I do the gadgets, widgets, jigs, fixtures, etc on SMC. Well, maybe I did - it's just that WWing has more items. There are only 14 clubs so you're just replacing but in WW, oh, my, it's not a replacement it's an addition. Just noticed how close addition and addiction are in spelling.

George Sanders
03-05-2010, 7:16 AM
It is amazing how fast my accumulation of woodworking stuff has grown. I used to wistfully view every new widget or gadget to come down the pike as being the end all be all of the species. All too often they are ill conceived, over priced, over hyped , poorly designed and downright disappointing.
I have also found that the more stuff I have the less I seem to get done. I spend much more time looking for an accessory than actually using it. Where's that dowelling jig? :confused: In the gray cabinet. Oops, I painted all the cabinets gray!:o
Well it's time to go get busy in the shop, but wait, the mailman just delivered my new Widgets-R-Us catalog.:D

Rod Sheridan
03-05-2010, 9:28 AM
George, I think you're on to something.

I went from separate machines to a jointer/planer combo and a saw/shaper combo.

Now I have 2 machines, that took up the same amount of room as two of my old machines, freeing up shop space.

I went through my wood pile, do I really need 30 pieces of 1" X 1" X 7" long cherry? Nope, but my pen turning buddy did.

Same with tool dodads, clean up the tools, get rid of duplications or items I don't have a use for.

Make some nice shop cabinets...............Gee, the place is getting so clean and organised it's like a Zen retreat.

Less can be more................Rod.

Brian Kent
03-05-2010, 10:09 AM
Fishing from the shore… pretty cheap hobby.

Fishing from your own boat… makes woodworking tool collecting seem like a bargain.

A friend of mine says it costs a minimum of $300 to drive his boat to the ocean, stick it in, buy bait, run it around all day, and drive back home. That $300 is after he has paid for the truck, the trailer, and the boat.