PDA

View Full Version : Lathe Remote start/stop

Stuart Reid
03-02-2010, 8:00 PM
I have been watching the new Lyle Jamieson video, Bowl Basics the Easy way, and he discusses the need for a start/stop switch on the right side of the bed so that you can start/stop the lathe without crossing in front of the piece on the lathe, especially while it is spinning. This makes sense to me and I have seen several lathes that have such a switch. I did a Google search and didn't come up with anything that looked appropriate. One Way sells a magnetic mount switch for their lathes but I don't know if it would be compatible with a Jet 1642. I would be interested in opinions regarding the switch and if it seems appropriate a source to purchase one. Thanks.

Stu

P.S. The Jamieson videos are excellent! It is a two disc set and is very comprehensive.

Gary Conklin
03-02-2010, 8:23 PM
Here you go!!

http://docs.google.com/View?docid=d4b7vjd_4f9vzmh

Steve Schlumpf
03-02-2010, 11:39 PM
Stuart - I wired a remote on/off switch for my Jet 1642 and it is the only switch I use. Real easy to do - using a regular light switch, a rare earth magnet and a cheap plastic junction box. If you are interested - PM me with your email address and I will forward what info I have.

Oh - this can be done with no modifications to your lathe!

Brad Vaughn
03-03-2010, 10:06 AM
I use one of these

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=96618
After you get used to it I find it very handy.
and when I am changing chucks I turn off the main power on the lathe.
I also have my dust collector on the same foot switch so it turns on and off with the lathe

I think I may put more on other power tools to.
Brad

John McCaskill
03-03-2010, 10:26 AM
+1 on the foot switch :)

Nick Mastropietro
03-03-2010, 11:42 AM
I will be stopping by the Freight on the way home to pick up one of these. Thanks for the nice idea.

Steve Schlumpf
03-03-2010, 11:50 AM
Guys - the foot power switch will work but you may want to consider that the on/off switch for the lathe only switches the logic circuits on or off for the controller - it does not remove power to the lathe. Each time you use the foot switch you are removing all power and the logic circuits have to go through the power-up sequence each time you turn the lathe back on.

Having worked in the electronics field for a number of years - I am no expert - but subjecting logic circuits to constant power surges during the cycling of power does not sound like a good idea for the long-term life of the controller. That's just my opinion.

Dale Miner
03-03-2010, 12:16 PM
To add to what Steve said about the cycling of power to the electronics.

The VFD's on most machines will power up in a 'safe' mode, meaning that it power is applied to the VFD, and the switch(s) are set to cause the motor to run, the logic in the VFD will not apply power to the motor, until the run switches are cycled to the off position, and back to the on position.

In other words, if a switch is used to kill the power to the VFD, it would be neccessary to cylcle the on/off switch to the off position and back to the on position to get the lathe to start once the power was reapplied to the VFD.

Also, if the power is interupted to the VFD as a means of shutting the lathe off, there will be no dynamic braking applied by the VFD.

Of course, none of the above applies if the lathe does not use a VFD.

Later,
Dale M

Reed Gray
03-03-2010, 12:25 PM
I would lose the foot switch in shavings in about an hour. I am no electrician, but I would thing it would be easy to extend the wiring and on/off unit from the headstock out longer so you could put the switch any place you wanted. A few extra wires in the way, but....

robo hippy

Brad Vaughn
03-03-2010, 12:26 PM
Good points about the logic boards.
I dont think that my jet 1242 has any Oh darn EDIT that is a 1236 lathe.
Maybe:confused::eek: