PDA

View Full Version : Lee-Valley ugh

Mike Olson
03-02-2010, 6:40 PM
So, i really don't like the idea of ordering anything online. But since i couldn't find wide rolls of sandpaper locally I figured I was forced to go online. While I was searching for sandpaper i stumbled across Lee-Valley as a source. and since i was already ordering the sandpaper i suppose I could buy some of the other things that I have been really wanting but again, "i don't like the whole online ordering thing" I figured i'd get everything so i only had to do this once.

So an $18 purchase quickly turned into a $165 purchase... My credit card company refuses all online/mail order purchases that are not shipped to my home address so I have no chance of hiding this from my wife... :(

oh, i got.
1/4" Brace driver
Pair of Bench Dogs
Coarse Saw Set
Standard Dovetail saw
and the 30' roll of 180grit paper

Steve Friedman
03-02-2010, 7:09 PM
Join the crowd. The last time I went online to pare down my Lee Valley wish list, the total still broke 3,000!

Steve

Kent A Bathurst
03-02-2010, 7:40 PM
I live 10 minutes from Highland Woodworking.

You were looking for sympathy?

Fat chance. You cannot imagine what a bottle of glue sets me back.:eek:

Ron Kellison
03-02-2010, 7:50 PM
Have pity on a poor ol' hillbilly from West Virginia who (somehow) came to live in Ottawa and who now works for Lee Valley! I should wear a bib every time I walk through the aisles! It's a big operation that runs like clockwork! I still shake my head in amazement when I see the 8' Bessey clamps or the old-fashioned Whirley Pop popcorn popper! A tremendous number of orders every day and at least 98% of them go out the door within 24 hours. They really do care about doing it right!

Regards,

Ron

Dave Wisman
03-02-2010, 8:02 PM
At least you are a hillbilly from WV that now has access to decent woodworking supplies locally. I am from Morgantown and there is absolutely no shops near that carry what I call "decent" supplies. Nearest is a Woodcraft about 1.5 hrs away, and now that they don't carry LN, no need to step back in there anyway :(

Rick Erickson
03-02-2010, 8:20 PM

Hey Kent - I work about 5-minutes from there (in midtown). It's a nice store but I find the Atlanta Woodcraft to be a step above. Have you been there?

Ron Kellison
03-02-2010, 8:32 PM
At least you are a hillbilly from WV that now has access to decent woodworking supplies locally. I am from Morgantown and there is absolutely no shops near that carry what I call "decent" supplies. Nearest is a Woodcraft about 1.5 hrs away, and now that they don't carry LN, no need to step back in there anyway :(

I probably shouldn't mention the two local lumber stores that carry an incredible stock of domestic hardwoods and exotics! With respect to getting access to decent supplies, there are several good woodworking supply outfits that can meet your requirements e.g., Highland Hardware, Rockler, Japan Woodworker and (of course) Lee Valley. Generally speaking, the turnaround will be quick, the product will be of good quality and the customer service will be at least as good as you will get at any chain store. If you're not entirely happy with any product and the supplier won't fix the problem rest assured there are other companies out there who WILL do their best to make sure you're a satisfied customer. Granted, that's not quite the same thing as getting to fondle a plane in the store but it's close!

Regards,

Ron

Kent A Bathurst
03-02-2010, 11:42 PM
Hey Kent - I work about 5-minutes from there (in midtown). It's a nice store but I find the Atlanta Woodcraft to be a step above. Have you been there?

Yeah, Rick - coupla times. I guess I'm more of a Highland guy.

I live up P'tree from your work - near intersection of P'tree and P'tree Battle.

mike holden
03-03-2010, 8:37 AM
Mike,
When the new Lee Valley catalog comes, the standing joke with my wife is that I want everything in it that I dont already have.

(of course when the LV gardening catalog comes in, the situation is reversed)

BTW, you cannot go wrong with Lee Valley, the customer service is second to none.

Mike

Doug Shepard
03-03-2010, 9:15 AM
Have pity on a poor ol' hillbilly from West Virginia who (somehow) came to live in Ottawa and who now works for Lee Valley! I should wear a bib every time I walk through the aisles! It's a big operation that runs like clockwork! I still shake my head in amazement when I see the 8' Bessey clamps or the old-fashioned Whirley Pop popcorn popper! A tremendous number of orders every day and at least 98% of them go out the door within 24 hours. They really do care about doing it right!

Regards,

Ron

Please tell me you get an employee discount. Working there without one would be sheer torment.:eek:

Chuck Saunders
03-03-2010, 9:27 AM
Please tell me you get an employee discount. Working there without one would be sheer torment.:eek:

But you don't have to worry about cashing your paycheck or choosing direct deposit. just a store credit

Maurice Ungaro
03-03-2010, 10:15 AM

Shoot, every time I would go to Highland on my lunch break, it would end up being a 90 minute lunch! Sometimes I would not even make a purchase....other times, well..........

Jerome Hanby
03-03-2010, 10:26 AM
I've always said the most useless directions in the world would be in Atlanta... I'm on Peachtree across from the Waffle House...
:D

Yeah, Rick - coupla times. I guess I'm more of a Highland guy.

I live up P'tree from your work - near intersection of P'tree and P'tree Battle.

Mike Olson
03-03-2010, 11:00 AM
Join the crowd. The last time I went online to pare down my Lee Valley wish list, the total still broke 3,000!

Steve

My car didn't even cost me $3000. I can't even imagine that much in ww tools.

Dan Sink
03-03-2010, 11:35 AM
Mike,
When the new Lee Valley catalog comes, the standing joke with my wife is that I want everything in it that I dont already have.

(of course when the LV gardening catalog comes in, the situation is reversed)

BTW, you cannot go wrong with Lee Valley, the customer service is second to none.

Mike

Imagine my issues - my two hobbies are woodworking AND gardening. I don't think they make anything that I don't want.

Zach England
03-03-2010, 12:05 PM
Imagine my issues - my two hobbies are woodworking AND gardening. I don't think they make anything that I don't want.
Don't forget the kitchen and household stuff. My last order included a book about birds.

Rod Sheridan
03-03-2010, 12:20 PM
It's a damn clever conspiracy.

Diann and I both enjoy wood working and gardening.

So to make matters worse, there are 3 LV stores in Toronto..........There otta be a law.............Rod.

Callan Campbell
03-03-2010, 12:34 PM
But you don't have to worry about cashing your paycheck or choosing direct deposit. just a store credit
So Chuck, that would be a Work-to-own policy, not a work for pay policy.
too funny, and way too true!;)

Rob Lee
03-03-2010, 12:42 PM
Hi Mike -

If it's any easier....you can just email me directly....I can have it shipped anywhere you want.....:D:D

Cheers -

Rob
(tradeshow over, time for a kolsch!!!)

Kent A Bathurst
03-03-2010, 1:33 PM
Hi Mike -

If it's any easier....you can just email me directly....I can have it shipped anywhere you want...

Exemplary customer service from a well-qualified enabler. :D

Dave Lehnert
03-03-2010, 5:59 PM
It's a damn clever conspiracy.

Diann and I both enjoy wood working and gardening.

So to make matters worse, there are 3 LV stores in Toronto..........There otta be a law.............Rod.

We wont be so greedy with three stores. We only need one store here in Cincinnati :D

Steve Friedman
03-03-2010, 6:09 PM
My car didn't even cost me $3000. I can't even imagine that much in ww tools.

It's easier than one would think when you start in the Plane department.

glenn bradley
03-03-2010, 6:12 PM

Ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha . . . I just blew coffee all over the monitor. :D

glenn bradley
03-03-2010, 6:13 PM
Hi Mike -

If it's any easier....you can just email me directly....I can have it shipped anywhere you want.....:D:D

Cheers -

Rob
(tradeshow over, time for a kolsch!!!)

Now that's just plain mean.

Mike Olson
03-04-2010, 9:58 AM
oh yeah... UPS says it's out for delivery. i'll check before lunch time and see if I can head home during my lunch break to open up the toy box. :D

Van Huskey
03-04-2010, 5:56 PM
So an $18 purchase quickly turned into a $165 purchase... My credit card company refuses all online/mail order purchases that are not shipped to my home address so I have no chance of hiding this from my wife... :(

If you are really concerned about it you can call your card company and have them add other addresses, I think there are 5 on my cards now and I never have an issue.

Bill White
03-04-2010, 6:33 PM
There are some things about Atl. that I miss. Highland Woodworking (always will be "hardware" to me), Good restaurants, sucky traffic.
Bill

Steve Friedman
03-05-2010, 12:31 AM
There is something wrong with this discussion of hiding tool purchases from our woodworking spouse. I always thought that woodworkers were a fearless bunch, who bravely faced any challenges that stood in their way.

Trying to explain the need for more tools is absurd. Will my wife understand why I need three different planes that can all do the same thing? Not any more than I will ever understand why my wife needs so many pocketbooks and shoes.

It's like asking a non-golfer to understand why a golfer needs to have 14 clubs to play a single round of golf. Didn't you see Kevin Costner play a whole round with a 7-iron in Tin Cup?

Wouldn't it be great to just let our obsession out of the closet, admit that we love tools, and ask the rest of the world to accept the fact that it defies explanation?

Yes . . . but it may just be wiser to keep having them delivered to my office.

Steve

Dan Sink
03-05-2010, 10:40 AM
There is something wrong with this discussion of hiding tool purchases from our woodworking spouse. I always thought that woodworkers were a fearless bunch, who bravely faced any challenges that stood in their way.

Trying to explain the need for more tools is absurd. Will my wife understand why I need three different planes that can all do the same thing? Not any more than I will ever understand why my wife needs so many pocketbooks and shoes.

It's like asking a non-golfer to understand why a golfer needs to have 14 clubs to play a single round of golf. Didn't you see Kevin Costner play a whole round with a 7-iron in Tin Cup?

Wouldn't it be great to just let our obsession out of the closet, admit that we love tools, and ask the rest of the world to accept the fact that it defies explanation?

Steve

Too funny - well done!

I tell you what, you go first - be open with your wife about how much your tools cost and keep her informed of every purchase made. Then get back to the board in about a year and let us know how it went. If it goes over well, you may just win some converts. In the meantime, when I get home from the Lie-Nielsen tool event here in Minneapolis next week, I'm going to be sneaking either a new #4-1/2 or large shoulder plane down to my workshop underneath my coat.

Mike Olson
03-05-2010, 11:40 AM
what's discussed in ww anonymous stays in ww anonymous.:cool:

Rick Erickson
03-05-2010, 12:01 PM
I'm going to be sneaking either a new #4-1/2 or large shoulder plane down to my workshop underneath my coat.

Either that or bring it in the house in a brand new purse and tell her it came free with the purse purchase.

Dave Anderson NH
03-05-2010, 12:31 PM
I never sneak anything into the house except maybe SWMBOs birthday or Christmas presents. Sue and I made a deal many years ago when we first became empty nesters. I don't ask her about her golf expenses, jewelry, and clothes, and she doesn't ask me about tool purchases. The corollary to that rule though is that if either "needs" to spend over $500 at a shot it is done in consultation. This is not asking permission, it is just a sensible way of preventing an "Ooops" like both of making a large purchase at the same time and overdrawing the checking account. I will admit though that I was surprised last year when she came home with a new motorized brush hog and a couple of weeks later with a new lawnmower that she really wanted for herself. Eat your hearts out guys.:D

Dan Sink
03-05-2010, 1:40 PM
Either that or bring it in the house in a brand new purse and tell her it came free with the purse purchase.

I like this idea, I think that would work well with my wife.

Pam Niedermayer
03-05-2010, 1:42 PM
If we were less ashamed of how much we spend on tools, we'd be more forthcoming with our spouses.

Pam

Callan Campbell
03-05-2010, 2:11 PM
I like this idea, I think that would work well with my wife.
Uhmm, yeah honey, Prada, Macy's and Lie-Nielsen are co-branding now, I read about it in last months Business Week. Honest....:D

Rod Sheridan
03-05-2010, 2:55 PM
If we were less ashamed of how much we spend on tools, we'd be more forthcoming with our spouses.

Pam

I have the opposite problem, Diann is always telling me to buy the better machine or tool.......Rod.

Of course, I'm not complaining:D

Rod Sheridan
03-05-2010, 2:59 PM

I dare you to show your wife your post:D

P.S. You know the rule, no photographs, didn't happen.

In lieu of photographs a copy of the divorce settlement would be acceptable:D

Regards, Rod.

Dave Lehnert
03-05-2010, 8:04 PM

Steve

OR..... You can be single like me. The tool budget is WIDE OPEN. :D

Jerry Wervey
03-06-2010, 2:41 AM
Well I haven't been to the woodcraft in the Twin Cities MN so I thought I would take a little drive 90 miles from my home, Saint Cloud. Was in the store looking for a mortising chisel when I hear Jerry is that you, and it is my brother Roy he lives in the TC so we start to talk and then I hear another vioce and turns out to be my Dad and he is in town with my Mom for an appointment and they are from a small town in Wisconsin., Three people one store all at the same time what's the chance of that happening. We all left with lighter wallets, go figure.

Jerry from MN

Rick Erickson
03-06-2010, 9:29 AM
OR..... You can be single like me. The tool budget is WIDE OPEN. :D

Not that is just plane cold Dave.

Jim Barrett
03-06-2010, 9:49 AM
I came home from the LN hand tool event with a new #62 and proudly showed my wife...she looked at me and said, "I thought you had one of those already" :eek:

Jim

Steve Friedman
03-06-2010, 9:54 AM
I came home from the LN hand tool event with a new #62 and proudly showed my wife...she looked at me and said, "I thought you had one of those already" :eek:

Jim

Of course! I say the same thing every time my wife comes home with a new pocketbook.

Steve

Rick Erickson
03-06-2010, 10:25 AM
Jim

Too funny Jim - I've heard the same thing several times. And of course the close cousin - "How many of those things do you really need?"