PDA

View Full Version : First Batch of Pendants

Ted Calver
03-02-2010, 6:40 PM
I've had the deluxe pendant gizmo from Richard Joyner for several months and have played with it off and on since then. Here are a few of the pendants turned so far...nothing complicated yet... SWMBO likes them simple. She likes to add them to necklaces to jazz them up and now has a new excuse to shop for necklaces on sale--so this didn't save me any money:) . Shown are: Bloodwood, Silver Maple Burl, Cocobolo, Ebony, Zebrawood and a collection of discs awaiting a suitable necklace. All sanded to 600 then buffed with tripoli, white diamond and renaissance wax.

Alan Zenreich
03-02-2010, 7:31 PM
Very nice.

Did you see the post I made yesterday about templates for the backer plate? You might find it useful.

Jack Gaskins
03-02-2010, 8:01 PM
I've had the deluxe pendant gizmo from Richard Joyner for several months and have played with it off and on since then. Here are a few of the pendants turned so far...nothing complicated yet... SWMBO likes them simple. She likes to add them to necklaces to jazz them up and now has a new excuse to shop for necklaces on sale--so this didn't save me any money:) . Shown are: Bloodwood, Silver Maple Burl, Cocobolo, Ebony, Zebrawood and a collection of discs awaiting a suitable necklace. All sanded to 600 then buffed with tripoli, white diamond and renaissance wax.

Very nice looking pendants there Ted. I just got my pendant chuck. Any tips on using it?

Baxter Smith
03-02-2010, 8:11 PM
Nice looking pendants. I will have to try one someday.

Ted Calver
03-02-2010, 8:29 PM
Alan, I saw your excellent post and filed it away for future reference--thank you for the great idea.

Jack, YoYo Spins tutorial videos got me interested and started in the right direction.
http://yoyospin.com/videos/pendant_1.wmv
http://yoyospin.com/videos/pendant_2.wmv

I made two different sized sacrificial backers one for larger pendants and one for smaller. Be careful when drilling the hole so you don't get tear out on the back side. I use a drafting circle template to draw the circles on the wood before bandsawing and mark the center at the same time. Then I apply double sticky tape to the blank and use the livecenter on the tailstock and the center mark on the blank to press the blank onto the plate so it is centered. The deluxe version of the plate allows you to rotate the blank to get the best grain orientation and do some fancy sculpting but I haven't fully explored it yet. Maybe after making some of Alan's templates.

alex carey
03-02-2010, 8:39 PM
Beautiful, I am so jealous, i want to try these one day.

Pete Jordan
03-02-2010, 8:46 PM
Wow Ted!

First class and I really like the variety on the chains.

David E Keller
03-02-2010, 8:53 PM
Nice looking group of pendants. That backer plate really makes things easy I think. That reminds me, I've got some around here I need to post.

Bernie Weishapl
03-02-2010, 9:36 PM
Ted those are beauties. I have my backer plate on the road and excited about using it.

Jon Lanier
03-02-2010, 9:52 PM
I really like those. Like to get back to my lathe... if I could ever get my shop together. Must warm up!

John Keeton
03-02-2010, 10:12 PM
Ted, you did a nice job on these, and your wife is really adding to the look with the necklaces - good job of coordinating the right necklace/pendant.

This looks really interesting, and I have been watching the threads on pendants, and at one time looked at the Joyner device, but just haven't done it yet. Hooked on bowls for the moment!! Then there is all the stuff I bought for the pot pourri, the bottlestoppers, ornaments..... is there an end to this stuff!!

Wish you all would quit coming up with new projects!!

Terry Achey
03-02-2010, 10:47 PM
Gee, Ted..... they look beautiful! A really nice warm adornment to a necklace. I agree with John..... is there no end to this stuff :eek:.... this is allot of pressure!

Thanks for sharing, Ted.
Terry

Steve Schlumpf
03-02-2010, 11:30 PM
Very nice work on everything Ted! Really like the variety!

Ted Calver
03-03-2010, 12:09 AM
Thanks all for the kind comments. These are easy and fun to make. Just right for a quick turning fix now and then :)

James Combs
03-03-2010, 8:49 PM
Beautiful work Ted. Just hope the LOML doesn't walk in here and see them.:eek:. If she does...

Jon, I got the same problem, it's too dang cold. Looks like maybe 3-4 days coming up that I can get into my shop. Hope it helps at yours:)

I really like those. Like to get back to my lathe... if I could ever get my shop together. Must warm up!

James Combs
03-03-2010, 8:51 PM
Ditto EVERYTHING John said.:eek:

Ted, you did a nice job on these, and your wife is really adding to the look with the necklaces - good job of coordinating the right necklace/pendant.

This looks really interesting, and I have been watching the threads on pendants, and at one time looked at the Joyner device, but just haven't done it yet. Hooked on bowls for the moment!! Then there is all the stuff I bought for the pot pourri, the bottlestoppers, ornaments..... is there an end to this stuff!!

Wish you all would quit coming up with new projects!!

Donny Lawson
03-03-2010, 9:43 PM
Those are really great and it can be a great way to use up some scraps.I'm gonna have to try these as soon as i figure out where to get the items needed.Give me a link or tell me where I can find this stuff at.
. Thanks,Donny

Ted Calver
03-03-2010, 10:19 PM
Donny,
Call or e-mail Richard Joyner. Richard created the backer Plate and can be reached at 727 254-9808/richard@creativependesign.com. You will also need a bottle stopper mandrel. I got mine from Ruth Niles but others sell them too.