PDA

View Full Version : Challenging glue-up...any suggestions?

Brian Fulkerson
03-02-2010, 6:08 PM
So I am finanlizing an end grain cuttingboard for a friend and I have to glue-up two equal sized triangles to the sides of another board to make the pattern. Via the picture, the triangles are represented in purple. Can anyone suggest a method to get proper clamping pressure on a trianglular piece? I have my own ideas, however I am hoping someone has a better one.

Thanks,

Brian

Alex Shanku
03-02-2010, 6:24 PM
Gluing blocks to the short legs of your triangles would give a parallel surface to clamp. Thats all I have off the top of my head.

Brad Westcott
03-02-2010, 7:34 PM
Sounds like the perfect excuse to buy a tool to me.

Here is what you need. It works with all sorts of weird angles and shapes.

Rockler or Woodcraft would be a good place to look under strap clamp.

http://images.rockler.com/rockler/images/33861-01-500.jpg

Kent A Bathurst
03-02-2010, 7:37 PM
(1) use scrap wood or plywood to make a couple cauls that have a 90* vee-notch in them (think of boot jacks). These fit over the corners of the two triangles, with flat outer sides to accept the clamps.
(2) Figure out the correct angle to match the diagonal from triangle corner-to-triangle corner, and cut the outer flat surfaces of the caul to match that - you need to prevent the triangles from sliding, so these 2 sides need to be parallel when you reef on the clamps.

Tom Veatch
03-02-2010, 8:44 PM
If your clamping force isn't perpendicular to the glue joint, the triangles are going to slide whether you use band clamps, v-blocks, frame clamps, or whatever. If the glue joint is not the diagonal of a square a corner to corner clamp force will try to slide the triangles. Consider using some short dowels across the joint surfaces to resist that slide and hold the triangles to their desired location.