PDA

View Full Version : What to do with old bandsaw?

Royce Meritt
11-01-2004, 5:01 PM
Several years ago, at an auction, I bought a bandsaw. It is sort of an off-breed, import type. It uses 92 1/2" blades. It worked OK for me for a few years but about a year ago I decided to upgrade and replaced it with a Delta. For a year now the old one has been taking up valuable space in my shop. Any suggestions on what to do with it? Keeping it adjusted is a pain and it vibrates quite a bit. Also, blades need to be special ordered because they are 92 1/2" instead of the standard 93 1/2". I don't think it is really worth trying to sell. What should I do with it? Any ideas? Thanks.

James Carmichael
11-01-2004, 5:24 PM
Royce,

Someone posted out here awhile back that they donated some old power tools to a local charity. I'm sure the Salvation Army or similar charity would take it off of your hands.

Gary Max
11-01-2004, 5:39 PM
Wait until some neighbor has a yard sell and ask them if you can sell it there.
Heck put $20.00 bucks on it and someone will be tickled to death to give it a new home.

Dan Mages
11-01-2004, 5:44 PM
There is also ebay. People will buy just about anything on there.

Dan

Steve Clardy
11-01-2004, 7:00 PM
I usually give these kind of tools away to somebody new to woodworking. Maybe they don't have something, or cannot afford it.
Or, if all else fails----make a BOAT ANCHOR out of it.:eek::eek:

Steve:):)

Charles McKinley
11-01-2004, 7:03 PM
What about getting a sanding belt for it?

Mike Wilkins
11-02-2004, 9:43 AM
Do any metalworking??? One of the home shop machinist magazines had an
article on converting a wood cutting bandsaw to a metal cutting one.
If no interest there, put it out at the next yardsale. I can assure you, it will
go fast if a decent price is attached. There are folks who go to yard sales
just with the intention of finding a bargain.

Kent Cori
11-02-2004, 9:51 AM
I donated a couple of used tools to the Florida Sherrifs' Boys Ranch a few months ago. They came to my house and picked them up so it was nearly hassle free. There's is an organization that helps at-risk kids and I know they would appreciate a donation of even an old band saw. SD may have something similar. I'll bet it would make you feel better than a the few bucks you might get from selling it.