PDA

View Full Version : Met a Creeker today!

Allen Neighbors
03-02-2010, 4:34 PM
I drove a short 45 minute drive today, and spent a most enjoyable morning chatting with Gentleman Jim Rather from Medina, TX. He epitomized the gentle friendliness of the Sawmill Creek Woodturning Forum. (sorry, no pics... had my camera, but forgot about it 'til I was on my way back to the RV Park.)
We talked turning, showed each other some of our work, and I even got to turn a little bit on his Jet 1642 (man, what a sweet machine!). He's almost finished doing some outstanding work on a Spinning Wheel. He gave me a blank of Texas Ebony, and a nice chunk of Cedar Elm. He has a designer's eye, and has done a good job of teaching himself how to turn, judging from the pieces I got to see.
Only thing wrong with him is his shop is just way too clean. But I did get to leave a little mess of shavings for him. ;):D

Bill Bulloch
03-02-2010, 5:03 PM
I spent a many a day fishing on Medina Lake when I was stationed at Lackland AFB back in 1973 to 1976. If I had known Jim Rather back then, I would have dropped in on him too. Glad you had a good visit, meet a fellow creeker in person, got to turn on a Jet 1642 and messed his shop up a little (there aint no excuss for having a stinking clean shop).

Allen Neighbors
03-02-2010, 7:07 PM
Thanks for the vote of confidence, Bill. :)
I didn't know there was a Medina River til today...

Ken Fitzgerald
03-02-2010, 7:24 PM
Congratulations Jim and Allen!

I have had the extreme pleasure of meeting several Creekers over the years. I"ve not been disappointed yet!

Bernie Weishapl
03-02-2010, 9:51 PM
Congrats on a great visit.

Steve Schlumpf
03-02-2010, 11:41 PM
Always great to hear when Creekers get together! Sounds like you had a lot of fun! Next time - make sure you remember to use the camera!

Jim Rather
03-04-2010, 10:34 AM
Allen
I thought everyone kept a clean shop. I did enjoy your visit and have alraedy ground the sides on my bowl gouges. I feel kind of lonesome out here in the hills. There is a club in Kerrville but driving home at night is not for this old man. The Creek gives me some ties with others who share my interest.

I may post a picture of the spinning wheel when finished.

Thanks again for an enjoyable visit and please come back and bring your wife when Peggy is home.

Jim

Allen Neighbors
03-04-2010, 12:25 PM
Thank you, Jim. There is a lot of turning on that Spinning Wheel... you should post a picture of it when you get it finished. Shoot, a pic of it now would be nice, too. Your spindle turning on it was superb.