PDA

View Full Version : My good/bad day at the local Rockler store...

Jason White
03-02-2010, 4:22 PM
Well, the weather was nice today here in the Boston area so I took a little jaunt down to the Rockler store in Cambridge, MA. It's a very well-stocked store and I don't get there very often, so it's not uncommon for me to browse each and every aisle and lose all track of time.

So, I bought a couple of small things and was pleased to discover that I got 15% off my total purchase. I had a big smile on my face leaving the store!

Until......

$25 parking ticket under my windshield wiper!!!!!!:eek: The meter had apparently just expired. Wow, those meter maids don't mess around!!

Ugh!! So much for my 15% discount.

Next time I'll just order online and pay for the shipping. Heck, it'll probably be cheaper! :rolleyes:

Jason

glenn bradley
03-02-2010, 4:24 PM
Ouch! My Rockler is only 35 miles away but with California freeways, I use their free shipping whenever it comes along. If I really need something, I can generally get it shipped for less than it costs to go get it; especially since I am apt to buy something else while I'm there.

Victor Robinson
03-02-2010, 4:26 PM
It all balances out in the end. But at least you got to enjoy yourself at the store.

Personally I prefer to carry poison blow darts for the meter maids, who are also quite rabid here in SF.

Augusto Orosco
03-02-2010, 4:38 PM
Well, the weather was nice today here in the Boston area so I took a little jaunt down to the Rockler store in Cambridge, MA. It's a very well-stocked store and I don't get there very often, so it's not uncommon for me to browse each and every aisle and lose all track of time.

So, I bought a couple of small things and was pleased to discover that I got 15% off my total purchase. I had a big smile on my face leaving the store!

Until......

$25 parking ticket under my windshield wiper!!!!!!:eek: The meter had apparently just expired. Wow, those meter maids don't mess around!!

Ugh!! So much for my 15% discount.

Next time I'll just order online and pay for the shipping. Heck, it'll probably be cheaper! :rolleyes:

Jason

Hey Jason,

I was at the Cambridge Rockler around 12:15pm today! I had a very specific list in mind (like one of those T-Slot router bits at $9.99) because I was in my lunch break and couldn't spare much time.

I ended up spending around $90 but didn't get any 15% discount, though :mad:

Sorry to hear about your parking ticket!

Kurt Cady
03-02-2010, 4:55 PM
How'd you score a t-slot bit for $9.99?

Online shows $34.99!

Rod Sheridan
03-02-2010, 4:55 PM
$25 for a parking ticket..............HA! I should have been so lucky.

Last winter my daughter borrowed the van to go out for lunch, since it was snowing heavily.

She parked in a parking spot, met her friends for lunch, came back to find a $450 parking ticket on the van. (In my name of course since parking tickets are with the vehicle owner.)

Michelle had parked in a wheel chair spot, that was marked on the pavement only. (Not such a brilliant idea in Canada).

Long story made short, the police officer was on maternity leave when my court date came up so the case was dismissed.

I was thinking of framing the ticket, $450 for a parking ticket......Wow.

Regards, Rod.

P.S. Glad to hear that at least you saved some money at the store Jason.

Augusto Orosco
03-02-2010, 5:06 PM
How'd you score a t-slot bit for $9.99?

Online shows $34.99!

I got an email with the monthly flyer where several 1/2 shank router bits are on sale for 9.99 at our local store.

The one you are looking at $34.99 is Item number 22602 and it's a better T-Slot bit, though. The one I bought is item number 26099 and it shows online for 29.99. When I checked that one online yesterday, it was listed at 9.99 but today it was back to its full price. So I called the store and confirmed the $9.99 sale price. It seems that they are no longer keeping the sale online, but the stores are.

Jason White
03-02-2010, 5:54 PM
Sorry -- I meant to say $15 off, not 15%. It was a coupon.

Jason

Hey Jason,

I was at the Cambridge Rockler around 12:15pm today! I had a very specific list in mind (like one of those T-Slot router bits at $9.99) because I was in my lunch break and couldn't spare much time.

Doug Hobkirk
03-02-2010, 7:41 PM
Ah, Jason, you corrected the error. Yes, it's $15 off on any purchase over $50, including things on sale. You can ask them to scan a store coupon. I know I did that 3 times yesterday at the seemingly-famous Cambridge Rockler store. One purchase was regular stuff, mostly on sale. But the other two were done so I can try the highly recommended (by posters at SMC) West System Epoxy. The seems-outrageous-to-me price of $99 (1 qt. resin + 1 pt hardner + the pumps) was more palatable at $69.

PS - I did get a parking ticket there once in the past. Now I make sure I pump in a quarter.

Karl Brogger
03-02-2010, 8:06 PM

Last winter my daughter borrowed the van to go out for lunch, since it was snowing heavily.

She parked in a parking spot, met her friends for lunch, came back to find a $450 parking ticket on the van. (In my name of course since parking tickets are with the vehicle owner.)

Michelle had parked in a wheel chair spot, that was marked on the pavement only. (Not such a brilliant idea in Canada).

Long story made short, the police officer was on maternity leave when my court date came up so the case was dismissed.

Regards, Rod.

That sucks. In Minnesota its only a handicapped spot if there is a sign.

Tony Shea
03-02-2010, 9:19 PM
Must be nice to have a Rockler right around the corner. My Rockler is only about a 3 and a half hour drive along with every other decent woodworking store or lumber yard.

Jim Rimmer
03-02-2010, 10:10 PM
I got an email with the monthly flyer where several 1/2 shank router bits are on sale for 9.99 at our local store.

The one you are looking at $34.99 is Item number 22602 and it's a better T-Slot bit, though. The one I bought is item number 26099 and it shows online for 29.99. When I checked that one online yesterday, it was listed at 9.99 but today it was back to its full price. So I called the store and confirmed the $9.99 sale price. It seems that they are no longer keeping the sale online, but the stores are.
That explains how the 45 degree 1/2" shank router bit I saw on SMC last night was not on sale today. If I call the store, do I have to go there to get that price? Nothing in Houston is close by.

Jason White
03-02-2010, 10:40 PM
I must have missed you by about an hour!

Jason

Hey Jason,

Van Huskey
03-02-2010, 11:55 PM

Regards, Rod.

I had the exact same thing happen to me in DC back in December during the blizzard. I parked in a spot only marked on the pavement and with about a foot of snow on it. The ticket was $300 but I took pictures and happened to be able to schedule my next business trip there around the court date, it was dismissed but a pain for something I certainly did not mean to do and would never do knowingly.

Well, at least the OP's discount helped the sting of the ticket!

Bryan Morgan
03-03-2010, 12:19 AM
I can walk to my local Rockler... its not as great as it seems. They take all my money away and I have to eat ramen noodles because I can't afford anything better. :(

JohnT Fitzgerald
03-03-2010, 7:19 AM
Yikes, that stinks. Those "parking enforcement officers" (I guess 'meter maid' is an outdated term) definitely do not mess around. They make so much $$ offf them it's ridiculous. I got nailed for a $45 ticket over by Tufts when I was visiting a friend. The worst part - I parked where he TOLD me to park, and he even gave me a "visitor" pass to put in my windshield (apparently residents there can give temp passes to people who visit). But I *still* got a ticket. Why? Apparently my friend forgot that the pass is only valid up to 1 street away from his house, but I parked 2 streets over. AGH.

Augusto Orosco
03-03-2010, 11:48 AM
That explains how the 45 degree 1/2" shank router bit I saw on SMC last night was not on sale today. If I call the store, do I have to go there to get that price? Nothing in Houston is close by.

I don't know Jim. I have the store nearby (just a 15 min ride from work), so I visit offen. I will probably have to head there again on Monday. If you wish, I can get it for you if it's still on sale and available, but you will have to add the shipping charges. Probably not a lot, since I can stuff it in a padded envelope. Just PM if that's helpful.

Don Jarvie
03-03-2010, 1:01 PM
Always keep a few quarters in the truck handy for times like this.

There was a Rockler in Danvers on 114 but it closed last year. The store was nice and big and was a good place to kill time when my daughter was napping in the carry carseat.The guy that ran it was very helpful but the store wasn't that busy.