PDA

View Full Version : Stanley #37 "Jenny"

Mike Olson
03-02-2010, 1:31 PM
A friend from work gave me an old transitional plane that he found in a box. no idea what or how old it was.

Here is how it looked when I got it.

I took it all apart and cleaned and sanded all the metal parts. I then put on 3 coats of primer and 3 coats of automotive black paint. I cleaned up the wood with mineral spirits and used a straight edge razer as a scraper for the really nasty parts.

The wood and irons only have generic paste wax on them. The wood is in pretty rough shape. I haven't honed the iron or flattened the sole yet but that's on my list of things to do.

By the way, anybody know where i can find rolls of sand paper? i checked all the local automotive stores and hardware stores and couldn't find any wide enough to flatten the sole. I also have a 24" transitional i need to flatten.

Jim Koepke
03-02-2010, 2:50 PM
I have bought rolls of abrasive from supergrit.com.

I guess if you had a #8 you could just flatten the bottom with that.

jim

James Scheffler
03-02-2010, 2:58 PM
By the way, anybody know where i can find rolls of sand paper? i checked all the local automotive stores and hardware stores and couldn't find any wide enough to flatten the sole. I also have a 24" transitional i need to flatten.

I buy sandpaper from Klingspor (woodworkingshop.com). They make excellent sandpaper and it's available in rolls.

Jim

harry strasil
03-02-2010, 3:20 PM
I use Kramers Best Antique Improver on all my Woodies and transitionals, and I never touch the soles with sandpaper, just a very very fine cut across my power jointer to true the bottoms. Using sandpaper or grit of any kind you run the chance of some of it breaking off and being imbedded in the sole, which makes it hard to push and a scratched finish surface on the material you are working. Sanding leaves a rough surface no matter how fine of a grit you use anyway.

James Taglienti
03-03-2010, 9:31 AM
That's a nice jenny, and a hard to find piece... there has been a little bit of a collector revival over those things as of late.