PDA

View Full Version : 10-12" Benchtop DP <$150 recommendations?

Andy Henriksen
11-01-2004, 4:09 PM
Well my subject pretty much says it all. What is the best bet for my money. Is the laser guide really worth anything, such as on the Tradesman 12" (Lowe's for $149)? Is the xtra 2" 'tween a 10 and 12 inch gonna really frustrate me down the road if I go with the smaller? Any other thoughts or recomendations?

Tom LaRussa
11-01-2004, 4:17 PM
Well my subject pretty much says it all. What is the best bet for my money. Is the laser guide really worth anything, such as on the Tradesman 12" (Lowe's for $149)? Is the xtra 2" 'tween a 10 and 12 inch gonna really frustrate me down the road if I go with the smaller? Any other thoughts or recomendations?
Those laser guides are great. They can show you within a fraction of a fraction of a fraction of an inch exactly where the little laser beam is hitting the wood. :rolleyes:

Whether that is at all related to where the tool is going to cut is, of course, another matter altogether. :(

JMHO;

You're mileage may vary;

Always ware ANSI approved safety glasses -- even when sleeping.

Jim Becker
11-01-2004, 6:29 PM
Do consider that benchtop DPs take up more space than floor models, have less capacity and don't cost all that much less, if at all. DPs are also something you don't need to "buy the brand" on...HFT DPs are quite popular for that reason and you can get reasonably close to your budget for a lot more machine. The two biggest problems with small DPs are a lowest speed that is too high to safely use things like fly cutters and not enough depth of cut. Both can really affect the kind of work you can do and the safety of doing it.

Michael Stafford
11-01-2004, 7:22 PM
I don't know if you guys have Tractor Supply Co. where you live but around here they sell a perfectly respectable imported 16" drill press every day for $169. It drills holes, turns sanding drums, operates a safety planer and many other things as well as any drill press I have ever seen. No fancy laser, no built in AM/FM radio, just a bare bones drill press 5/8" capacity. Works for me...

Dan Gill
11-02-2004, 9:55 AM
I have the Ryobi 12 inch, and I've had no complaints. Well, one complaint. The round table is fine, except when attaching a larger, shop made table. It would have been a lot easier with a square table. But I did it, and it works.

James Carmichael
11-02-2004, 10:02 AM
I think Jim's right, benchtop tools don't really save that much. You might still be able to find a demo-unit Delta DP400 at Lowes for not too much over your budget, they were closing them out for $229.

Wes Bischel
11-02-2004, 11:05 AM
Andy,
I have a couple of DP's (OK 4 - long story). The one I use the most is a Chinese 12 speed bench model - cheap and surprisingly accurate. I mounted it on a two drawer rolling file cabinet which gives me lots of storage and mobility. My one floor model is a permanent fixture in one of the corners of the shop due to the top heavy nature of the machine.

FWIW

Wes

Andy Henriksen
11-02-2004, 3:19 PM
I don't know if you guys have Tractor Supply Co. where you live but around here they sell a perfectly respectable imported 16" drill press every day for $169. It drills holes, turns sanding drums, operates a safety planer and many other things as well as any drill press I have ever seen. No fancy laser, no built in AM/FM radio, just a bare bones drill press 5/8" capacity. Works for me...
There is a TSC Co not too far from hear - 40 min. I checked their website, and although it is very limited in info, after crossreferencing it with some others I got the impression that maybe this was a 240v machine. I can't do that without a major shop overhaul. Is this 240v?