PDA

View Full Version : Stanley No. 5 Type 11

Rick Erickson
03-02-2010, 12:21 PM
Anyone know where I can find a very clean Stanley No. 5 Type 11? I've posted a classified as well looking for someone wanting to restore one or sell one. I've searched several 'antique' web sites and the selection is pretty slim. I'm not one who restores planes so I'm not looking for a project. Thanks for any help you can offer.

Pedro Reyes
03-02-2010, 12:31 PM
May I ask, why type 11?

I have 2 #5s a Type 9 and a Type 11. I was very lucky with these, they were both Ebay finds and both are amazing, well, to be honest I have not touched the type 11. But I like it so much because I can tell it belonged to someone who cared for it well and used it well.

My type 9 can have it's mouth closed and will work as smoother. It was the first place I truly restored so it holds a special place.

I am not interested in selling at all, so please don't ask. I am just curious why Type 11, and wanted to share my story as a way of saying that you can get lucky on Ebay. I paid $36 for mine a few years back. In my spreadsheet I have it as G++ as my own subjective assesment of its condition.

peace

/p

Rick Erickson
03-02-2010, 12:53 PM
Because I like that one :-)

Actually, I used the 11 in a class last weekend and liked it. I'm sure the 9 would suffice. I did read that the 11 has the frog adjustment screw that the 9 doesn't have. I'm looking to set it up as a dedicated fore plane.

David Gendron
03-02-2010, 12:59 PM
Just my two cents, as a fore plane I realy like my #6, in fact If I had only one plane it would be a #6... The #6 get the job done quick! Sorry, I don' have a T11 #5 for sale!

Randy Bonella
03-02-2010, 1:05 PM
Hi Rick,
For me, for function, type 10-14 seem to be equivalent with the frog adjustment screw, however Type 10 and 11 are my favorites and boil down to purely aesthetics w/low knowb. With that said type 11's seem to be very popular and #5's for some reason are hard to find. I've missed out on a couple on ebay in last couple months that went for high $30's to mid $40's + shipping. Not sure on what kind of shape they were in. I've also seen a couple of them going in the low $100's recently as well that looked pristine.

Randy...

Actually, I used the 11 in a class last weekend and liked it. I'm sure the 9 would suffice. I did read that the 11 has the frog adjustment screw that the 9 doesn't have. I'm looking to set it up as a dedicated fore plane.

Rick Erickson
03-02-2010, 1:24 PM
I do like the low knob and thus don't want to go higher than 11.

David Gendron
03-02-2010, 1:32 PM
Rick, try this guy, from E-Bay, "sopissod" is his user name and the store is "Flatwood Tools & More". Never dealed with him but heard good things! Look at what he has and write him about what you want!
Good luck

( sorry it is "sopisodd")

Rick Erickson
03-02-2010, 1:46 PM
Thanks David - it looks like he has some really good stuff. He has a No. 10 that is fantastic (although very pricey).

Doug Roper Chairmaker
03-02-2010, 1:54 PM
Rick,
If you are looking for a good user Type 11 plane, I'd contact Patrick Leach. He's a tool dealer but is straight up with the tools he sells. The planes I've purchased from him were complete and proper for their type, not a mixing of other plane parts.

His prices are higher than what you might pay on eBay, but he is one of the most knowledgeable people I've come across when it comes to Stanley planes and old tools. You can do a Google search for Patrick to locate his web site.

Here's a link to the newsletter I received yesterday that he sends out on the first of each month listing some of the tools he has available. If you don't see what you're looking for, contact him. Sometimes he has too many tools to list.
http://www.supertool.com/forsale/march10.htm

Good Luck...Doug

Erik Manchester
03-02-2010, 2:34 PM

Rick,

If you are looking for a dedicated fore plane, might I suggest that you also consider a No 6 or Millers Falls 18 as the fore planes seem to get much less use than the No. 5 Jack planes. There seem to be a lot of No 6 aval in great condition and because the demand is lower the deals are better if you go the e-Bay route. I have a few Millers Falls 18 that I have set up for different tasks (fore plane, shooting plane and jack) and the extra weight helps in all of them.

Good luck with your search.

Erik

Sean Hughto
03-02-2010, 2:41 PM
Just out of curiousity, when you say you don't want a project, how clean does it have to be? Would you be willing to do an hour or two's worth of work cleaning it up? If so, ebay or Patrick Leach are good bets. If you want a plane that is already fully fettled, that's gonna require finding someone who has already done the bit of work required.

Rick Erickson
03-02-2010, 2:42 PM
Thanks for the link Doug - I will certainly check that out.

Erik - are replacement blades readily available for those like they are the Stanleys?

Jim Koepke
03-02-2010, 2:43 PM
You may also want to be specific about the low knob. Later type 11s came with a tall knob. With a low knob and hardware it is easy to change, but it can be costly.

I like the larger adjuster of the type 12 and later. Bought a bunch and put them on most of my planes.

I also have #5s in both type 9 & 12. I currently like the type 9 a little better, haven't done a lot with the type 11. The type 9 is set up to leave a surface like glass.

jim

Tri Hoang
03-02-2010, 2:44 PM
Rick, try this guy, from E-Bay, "sopissod" is his user name and the store is "Flatwood Tools & More". Never dealed with him but heard good things! Look at what he has and write him about what you want!
Good luck

( sorry it is "sopisodd")

I got a really nice #5 body from the guy...he got it all clean up and machine the sole/frog flat. I forgot to ask about the mouth and ended up with one that you could drive a semi-truck through. Luckily, I am using it as a fore plane so I did not care so much. Also...as a fore plane, I dont' really care that he put any effort into machining the sole flat.

Pay attention to the size of the mouth if you get anything plane from him...I guess the mouth get widden in the process if machining the sole.

Sean Hughto
03-02-2010, 2:47 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/STANLEY-BAILEY-NO-5-JACK-PLANE-TYPE-11_W0QQitemZ290407118804QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_Defa ultDomain_0?hash=item439d9cf7d4

Erik Manchester
03-02-2010, 2:52 PM
Thanks for the link Doug - I will certainly check that out.

Erik - are replacement blades readily available for those like they are the Stanleys?

Absolutely, the MF 18 and Stanley No 6 are virtually the same plane with cosmetic differences only. I also have one with a Hock blade and chip breaker in it that works great as a shooter.

Erik

Rick Erickson
03-02-2010, 2:59 PM
Sean, I think I'm looking for something ready to go. I have some inner twisted mindset that doesn't like restoring these things. I don't know what it is (pretty bizarre - or just spoiled). I guess that is why I migrate to new LN planes. I have a LN 5 1/2 that I was considering but I can't bring myself to using it in that manner (yeah I know, pretty screwed up thinking). I don't want to use an old beat up plane for scrub work (even though it would be perfectly acceptable) and I don't want to use my nice LN 5 1/2 for it either. That is why I'm trying to convince myself I 'need' an old Stanley in very good condition :-)

Does anyone else have this screwed up plane philosophy? Is there a support group for this type of thing?

Jim Koepke
03-02-2010, 3:00 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/STANLEY-BAILEY-NO-5-JACK-PLANE-TYPE-11_W0QQitemZ290407118804QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_Defa ultDomain_0?hash=item439d9cf7d4

That is one I would consider if there were a little more discretionary income in my wallet. It does have a repaired tote. Not a great picture of the bottom, but it looks like it would make a good worker with a little effort.

jim

Jim Koepke
03-02-2010, 3:03 PM
Does anyone else have this screwed up plane philosophy? Is there a support group for this type of thing?

If there were, I bet I could get elected to a top position.

:D

jim

Sean Hughto
03-02-2010, 3:15 PM
If I bough the ebay plane for $35 - then paid shipping of $15 to me - then bought a LN 5 balde $45 plus shipping, then replaced the tote from a $10 parts plane, we are already up to around $105. Then I might spend an hour cleaning, oiling, sharpening - $15 worth of work, and $15 to ship the thing to you. We're now at $135 plus. Still far less than half the price of a LN, but is it worth that to you?

Rick Erickson
03-02-2010, 3:30 PM
Good point Sean - in the spirit of that reasoning would you pay for this (assuming you had the money)? Not knowing much about these old planes would you suggest I replace the iron/breaker on this? If so, I don't think it would be worth it. But it sure looks like a job well done.

http://cgi.ebay.com/STANLEY-BAILEY-No-5-RESTORED-and-MODIFIED-LIKE-No-10_W0QQitemZ230443699686QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_Defa ultDomain_0?hash=item35a783cde6#ht_980wt_939 (http://cgi.ebay.com/STANLEY-BAILEY-No-5-RESTORED-and-MODIFIED-LIKE-No-10_W0QQitemZ230443699686QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_Defa ultDomain_0?hash=item35a783cde6#ht_980wt_939)

scott spencer
03-02-2010, 3:33 PM

Could turn out to be a nice find...that handle looks easily repairable.

You might also expand your search to include a Record 05 of the same era, as these two companies produced some similar planes for at least part of their existance.

Sean Hughto
03-02-2010, 3:55 PM
Assuming all the grinding has been done well, $175 is likely a very fair price for all the work that went into that. That said, it would never interest me, personally. If I had a $175 to spend total, and wanted a 10, I'd buy a 10 and a LN replacment blade - in fact I did just that years ago, and was out of pocket far less than $175. It's there on the middle right of this shot:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3469/3354647916_7d5c6e017a_b.jpg

Matt Radtke
03-02-2010, 4:25 PM
Good point Sean - in the spirit of that reasoning would you pay for this (assuming you had the money)? Not knowing much about these old planes would you suggest I replace the iron/breaker on this? If so, I don't think it would be worth it. But it sure looks like a job well done.

I wouldn't pay that much either. I'd either buy a 10 as Sean suggested, of I'd buy a broken-down 5 and mod if myself. Might be fun. Might have to go buy a 5 tonight and give it a shot.

jerry nazard
03-02-2010, 5:23 PM

If there were, I bet I could get elected to a top position.

:D

jim

We missed you at the last meeting....

David Gendron
03-02-2010, 7:56 PM
So Rick, Get over it and buy a new LN or LV and put it to work! It's one step to rehabilitation... IMO if you don't want to fetle with old tools, go new. You won't be desapointed... Even a ealy nice tuned up type 11 will have its little things, like the adjusting weel that have way more play than your LN or LV plane, The lateral adjuster might be the same. For some of us it doesn't mather, for others, it does!
But I'm sure if you take your time, and talk to the right person, you will find what you want. But be sure to let us know of that great find!
Good luck

Rick Erickson
03-02-2010, 8:17 PM
David - must...refrain...from...new...Lie-Nielsen...

Hey, I did pickup a No. 9 (and a No. 3) last weekend at my local Woodcraft. Since I have my 9 now maybe I should turn my 5 1/2 into a true hogger. That is just such a perfect plane that I couldn't imagine treating it with such disrespect :D.

David Gendron
03-02-2010, 8:50 PM
there you go! You are saved!! Maybe! So put a good camber on that 5 1/2 iron and show us how it can do the work! We are with you!

jerry nazard
03-02-2010, 9:15 PM
So Rick, Get over it and buy a new LN or LV and put it to work! It's one step to rehabilitation... IMO if you don't want to fetle with old tools, go new. You won't be desapointed... Even a ealy nice tuned up type 11 will have its little things, like the adjusting weel that have way more play than your LN or LV plane, The lateral adjuster might be the same. For some of us it doesn't mather, for others, it does!
But I'm sure if you take your time, and talk to the right person, you will find what you want. But be sure to let us know of that great find!
Good luck

Rick,

I just spent an hour messing with a Type 11 No. 4. Opened up the inside front of the mouth a bit, fitted the chipbreaker, adjusted the frog, installed new Hock blade. David makes some valid points above: play in the wheel-yoke-chipbreaker slot; lateral adjuster that wiggles a bit. BUT - the thing is 100 years old and it is taking wispy full width .001 shavings off a plank of poplar. I have several Type 11's including a #5 set very fine. It never ceases to amaze me how beautifully these tools can perform, and how much pleasure I get from using them!

Best!

-Jerry

James Scheffler
03-02-2010, 10:03 PM
David - must...refrain...from...new...Lie-Nielsen...

Hey, I did pickup a No. 9 (and a No. 3) last weekend at my local Woodcraft. Since I have my 9 now maybe I should turn my 5 1/2 into a true hogger. That is just such a perfect plane that I couldn't imagine treating it with such disrespect :D.

Maybe your 5 1/2 longs to be appreciated for the full range of its abilities. It's graceful enough to take a 0.001" shaving, yet strong enough to comfortably hack off 1/8" shavings all day long. Why can't it do both?

Jim

David Gendron
03-02-2010, 11:48 PM
I don't know what it is about old stanley plane(and probably frome other vintage brands), but they just seem to be better than new onw like the LN, LV, Clifton etc...
Or maybe I'm to far gone!!

jerry nazard
03-03-2010, 3:19 AM
I don't know what it is about old stanley plane(and probably frome other vintage brands), but they just seem to be better than new onw like the LN, LV, Clifton etc...
Or maybe I'm to far gone!!

David,

You are without doubt a few shavings past the point of no return! I'm always impressed by the consistent quality, craftsmanship, and performance of new LN and LV planes, and thankful that these companies have raised the bar on what we should expect as consumers. However, as a hobbyist woodworker, my little infatuation with vintage tools adds a rewarding sideline to working wood, and that makes me happy.

Later!

-Jerry

Tim Sgrazzutti
03-03-2010, 8:16 AM
Just to be the devil's advocate here, but if you are going to use it as a dedicated fore plane, who cares if it has a frog adjustment screw or not?? You're going to set the mouth with a nice wide opening that will let a good thick shaving pass, and probably never adjust it again.

My jointer is a really ugly duckling WWII era Stanley #7 -- doesn't have a frog adjustment screw -- works just fine.

David Peterson
03-03-2010, 8:41 AM
Check online for a place called Great Expectations Antiques. They have a pretty good selection of tools along with a very detailed description of each item. They can be a bit pricey sometimes but they have an early Stanley 5, low-knob, selling right now for $55. There may be others but I stopped looking after I saw this one. I have a #7, type 11, that I bought from them years ago and was very happy with the purchase. I also like The Best Things. Again, somewhat higher prices but you know exactly what you're getting. And if you aren't satisfied they both will refund your cash.

Tri Hoang
03-03-2010, 9:20 AM
I can relate to what Rick said...I can't bring myself to use those nicer planes from LV/LN as first-on-the-wood kind of planes. I have an old Stanley #5-1/2C and a Miller Fall #14 for those tasks.

Other than built quality/look, I find the old Stanleys (especially type 10/11 - my favorite) fitted with modern blades (and/or chip breaker) work just as well as the newer LN/LV.

Rick Erickson
03-03-2010, 9:34 AM
I can relate to what Rick said...I can't bring myself to use those nicer planes from LV/LN as first-on-the-wood kind of planes.

That's what I'm talking about Tri - thanks for jumping in. There are now two people in the club. Everyone has great points here. When I get this thing setup it will most likely never be touched again (jack that mouth wide open and set the blade strong and leave it alone). Heck, the sole probably doesn't even need to be flat. I guess that is one of the reasons I don't want to use a LN plane for this.

Chris Hudson42
03-03-2010, 5:33 PM
Rick,

As others mentioned, you might keep an eye open for something other than a Stanley. I picked up a 1915 Union Tool #6 recently on eBay. It is massive, has a fully-machined frog like an 11 Stanley (full width on the bottom edge - no rib opening) and a 1/8th thick blade. Very nice for $46.

On the other hand, you mention you are 'not looking for a project' - and every eBay plane is likely to be a project of some sort. IMHO, eBay planes are a definite 'crap shoot'. In fact, I figure - when trying to compare costs to buying new or otherwise - only 2 out of 3 of my eBay purchases will be 'good'. I allow 1 of 3 as junk when comparing costs. Still, the Union, even at $70 (allowing +50% for other eBay junk planes I will get stuck with) was about the same as a new Groz or Anant.

As for a #5 (vs. #6) are you near a Woodcraft? I know this may offend some, but you could look at their Chinese WoodRiver Bedrock knockoffs. The #5 is currently on sale for $104, and the #6 for $112. I'd look at one 'in hand' before buying - as unsquare frogs and other defects have been reported.

Finally, there is a very good argument in my mind - for those who really don't want a project but a user - myself included - to 'bite the bullet' and simply get something like Lee Valley's Veritas Bevel-Up Jointer at $268. I have both their 4 1/2 (LV says 164 1/2H) BU Smoother ($215) and LA Block Plane (Converted to a #3 Smoother) ($139 + $34) - and they are by far the best and most pleasurable planes to use that I own.

You can always turn yourself a low knob replacement. :>)

Rick Erickson
03-03-2010, 6:44 PM
I just landed a No. 5 Type 11 from Jim Bode Tools. He sent me some pictures. Thoughts? Anyone who has one of these older planes - Is the blade sufficient for roughing work? Does it hold an edge well enough for this type of operation? Should I upgrade to a Hock blade/chip breaker (or similar)?

Thanks for everyones input on this thread.

Tri Hoang
03-03-2010, 6:47 PM
Try it first but for rough work, I'd want something more durable than a typical old Stanley blade. I'd go for D2 has I not had an A2 blade already.

David Gendron
03-03-2010, 7:34 PM
IMO, the blade on this baby is sufficient for sure! a hock blade would be better but not nessecery!

Phillip Pattee
03-03-2010, 8:36 PM
I think the stock vintage stanley blade is completely adequate for rough work. You probably won't even mind putting a camber on it.

Jim Koepke
03-03-2010, 8:45 PM
I like my Hock blades, but to tell you the truth I like my Stanley blades almost as much. For rough work it doesn't even matter if there are a few pits in the blade.

The pictures look like there is a bit of blade left.

Looks like a good plane. I was hoping to find one soon so I could offer you one for sale.

I am going back to another thread to show off what was finished today in the shop.

jim