PDA

View Full Version : Military Wisdom

Belinda Barfield
03-02-2010, 12:12 PM
Words to live (or stay alive) by. . . just thought I'd share a little humor today. :)

"If the enemy is in range, so are you." — Infantry Journal

"It is generally inadvisable to eject directly over the area you just bombed." — US Air Force Manual

"Whoever said the pen is mightier than the sword, obviously never encountered automatic weapons." — General MacArthur

"You, you, and you ... Panic. The rest of you, come with me." — U.S. Marine Corp Gunnery Sgt.

"Tracers work both ways." — U.S. Army Ordnance Manual

"Five second fuses only last three seconds." — Infantry Journal

The three most useless things in aviation are: Fuel in the bowser; Runway behind you; and Air above you. — Basic Flight Training Manual

"Any ship can be a minesweeper. Once." — Maritime Ops Manual

"Never tell the Platoon Sergeant you have nothing to do." — Unknown Marine Recruit

"If you see a bomb technician running, try to keep up with him." — USAF Ammo Troop

"You've never been lost until you"ve been lost at Mach 3." — Paul F. Crickmore (SR71 test pilot)

"The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire." —Unknown Author

"If the wings are traveling faster than the fuselage it has to be a helicopter — and therefore, unsafe." — Fixed Wing Pilot

"When one engine fails on a twin-engine airplane, you always have enough power left to get you to the scene of the crash." — Multi-Engine Training Manual

"Without ammunition, the USAF is just an expensive flying club." — Unknown Author

"If you hear me yell; 'Eject, Eject, Eject!,' the last two will be echos. If you stop to ask 'Why?' you"ll be talking to yourself, because you're the pilot." — Pre-flight Briefing from a 104 Pilot

"What is the similarity between air traffic controllers and pilots? If a pilot screws up, the pilot dies; but If ATC screws up, .... the pilot dies." — Sign over Control Tower Door

"Never trade luck for skill." — Author Unknown

"Airspeed, altitude and brains. Two are always needed to successfully complete the flight." — Basic Flight Training Manual

"Mankind has a perfect record in aviation — we have never left one up there!" — Unknown Author

"Flying the airplane is more important than radioing your plight to a person on the ground incapable of understanding or doing anything about it." — Emergency Checklist

"The Piper Cub is the safest airplane in the world; it can just barely kill you." — Attributed to Max Stanley (Northrop test pilot)

"There is no reason to fly through a thunderstorm in peacetime." — Sign over Squadron Ops Desk at Davis-Montham AFB, AZ

"If something hasn't broken on your helicopter, it's about to." — Sign over Carrier Group Operations Desk

"You know that your landing gear is up and locked when it takes full power to taxi to the terminal." — Lead-in Fighter Training Manual

As the test pilot climbs out of the experimental aircraft, having torn off the wings and tail in the crash landing, the crash truck arrives. The rescuer sees a bloodied pilot and asks, "What happened?" The pilot"s reply: "I don't know, I just got here myself!"

Brian Brown
03-02-2010, 12:25 PM
Those are great, alot of wisdom there. I am posting another group of flight quotes in another thread. Not nearly so much wisdom in mine.

Ken Fitzgerald
03-02-2010, 12:33 PM
Belinda,

I worked air traffic control maintenance for 6 years in the Navy....

My favorite bumper sticker was on the bumpers of vehicles owned by air controllers...

"Air Traffic Controllers tell pilots where to go!":D

Dave Anderson NH
03-02-2010, 3:49 PM
Related to the tracers work both ways is the fact that tracers have a different trajectory than ball ammo and consequently go to a slightly different place than the tracer.

The most effective single use mine detector is an infantryman.

Jesse Espe
03-02-2010, 4:00 PM
Navy Thermodynamics: Heat on you is heat off me.

Kent A Bathurst
03-02-2010, 4:35 PM
Thanks, Belinda - I'm sending this to my Dad - B17 navigator in WWII + Korea, and my Big Brother - full bird pilot before he went commercial - "liberated" countries all the way from Vietnam through Panama and Grenada and places we even "weren't in", to Kuwait/Iraq. They will just love it.

Kent

Belinda Barfield
03-02-2010, 4:48 PM
Glad y'all enjoyed this! Kent, I hope your dad and big brother enjoy it as well. I can't take credit, these words of wisdom came courtesy of the Patriot Post.

David Dockstader
03-03-2010, 12:34 AM
My favorites (as a retired AF pilot):

A good landing is any landing you can walk away from. If they can reuse the airplane, it's a perfect landing.

First rule of flying: It's much better to be down here wishing you were up there than up there wishing you were down here.;)

Bill Leonard
03-03-2010, 8:40 AM
I spent 40 years in the front office of both military and civilian aircraft with 30+ as a Test Pilot, and the one piece of advice I received early on in my career was " Never be the first person at the crash site. Its bad for your career". I was successful in heeding this advice.:)

Caspar Hauser
03-03-2010, 6:19 PM
Helicopter = Furious Palm tree. Anonymous R.N. Matelot

James Ogle
03-07-2010, 10:50 AM
Marine Infantry Doctrine- "Why stand up if you can sit down, why sit down if you can lie down, if you are laying down you might as well go to sleep." Full transition takes about 15 minutes.

If the battle is going your way it's an ambush.

Gunny's short-cuts are always uphill both ways.

Friendly fire isn't.

Most dangerous thing in the Marines is a 2ndLT with a map and a compass.

Second most dangerous, 2ndLT that has lost the map and compass.

Nothing is Marine Proof.