PDA

View Full Version : Saving a thread for future reference or review.

Roger Bullock
03-02-2010, 11:42 AM
Sometimes when someone posts a tutorial, trick, or good advice not to mention a turning I would like to keep for ideas, I think "Man I wish there was a way to save this thread!"

Sooooo is there a way? If not how do you file away those ideas you want to keep for later review?

Ken Fitzgerald
03-02-2010, 11:46 AM
Roger,

Subscribe to the thread. If you want you can set up the subscription for email notices when anyone posts to the thread.

I don't set them up that way but I can go to my User Cp and find my list of subscriptions and read anyone of them. I do this often for threads that I want for future reference.

John Keeton
03-02-2010, 11:51 AM
Roger, I just go to the first page of the thread, and add it to my favorites in my browser in a folder. I have several topical folders set up for threads.

I do the same for various suppliers that are recommended on SMC, and I categorize those in folders in my browser, as well.

I also have several pic files in folders for various topics - turning examples, jigs and fixtures, etc. When a pic comes up, I copy and save it to my hard drive in the appropriate folder.

And, yes, I am OCD!!!:D:D

But, I don't waste much time looking for something either!

charlie knighton
03-02-2010, 3:00 PM
i am old too, i just print the information i want, i keep it in a scrapbook, i use different methods of sorting....symposiums, ideas, tools, how to

it gets thick at first because i did not know very much, but as your knowledge increases you build upon that base

i like books instead of something like a kindle, i like hard copy bank statement instead of just on internet :eek: i like to turn :D

M Toupin
03-02-2010, 3:56 PM
Download & install CutePDF (http://www.cutepdf.com/Products/CutePDF/writer.asp) Writer and you can save them as a PDF files.

Mike

Allen Neighbors
03-02-2010, 4:09 PM
I open my Microsoft Word app, then go to the page/post and copy what I want; then I go back to Microsoft Word and Paste it in. When I get it arranged the way I want it, I go to PDF Creator, and put it in pdf form, then save it in my Woodturning/HowTo file. I have a file titled Tutorials that I put all the tutorial I have made into.

Roger Bullock
03-02-2010, 6:23 PM
Thanks for the help guys. After reading John's favorite suggestion, I did an online search and came up with this way to use Favorites to save, organize, and view all the saved threads, websites, and other files.

Click on Favorites.

Hover over any item, right click, then select Create New Folder. I named mine Woodworking.

I repeated the above step, naming my 2 new folders How To and Photos.

Once these 2 folders were added, I dragged them (one at a time) to the Woodworking favorite file. This created a sub-file that is below and to the right of the Woodworking file.

Now when I have a thread or web page open that I want to keep I just select Favorites and put it into the correct file. Note that if you have more than one file in the (let's say) How To file, if you click it, it will open all the files within at once. To see what files you have under the How To file, just right click it and select Expand and all the saved items will be individually shown. So to hide all these files once you are finished looking, just right click the How To and select Collapse.

I know there is more than one way to skin a cat, so I'll use this and John's method of saving just photos. That is unless I see something better in a future post to this thread.

John Keeton
03-02-2010, 7:00 PM
Actually, that is exactly how I do mine, Roger. I posted from the office and wasn't at my home computer, and may have not been clear on my setup.

I have one broad category (folder) for WOODWORKING, and within that, I have several subfolders for FINISHING, HARDWARE, FIXTURES/JIGS, SMC THREADS, etc., and within each of those I have the various links. In the case of SMC, I have some sub-subfolders for various topics.

I also save pics of various turnings in a folder on my desktop named TURNING EXAMPLES, and within that, I have subfolders for HF, bowls, vases, platters, and misc. When I see a pic posted that I want to save, I open the large version of the pic, copy it to the clipboard, and paste it in the appropriate folder.

Bernie Weishapl
03-02-2010, 9:56 PM
I am like Charlie. I print and catalog in my scrapbook.