PDA

View Full Version : Cabinet face frame assembly questions

Bart Leetch
11-01-2004, 3:52 PM
I am in the process of making my CMS cabinet it is 7 1/2' long & will have 4 sections. I plan on gluing up the top & bottom rails & styles to make the initial face frame. Will it work ok to do this glue up & then afterwords using pocket screws to put in the horizontal face frame dividers for the drawers?

Thanks

Todd Burch
11-01-2004, 4:05 PM
Sure it will work! How else would you do it? The only difference from how I would do it is that the glue would still be wet on the bounding frame while I was putting the internal rails/stiles in.

To obtain the most space for drawers, sometimes I don't even install rails between drawers.

Bart Leetch
11-01-2004, 4:14 PM
Thanks Todd

I usually use biscuits or dowels for the 2" wide face frame parts & am just starting to use pocket screws & just thought it would be easier to put these dividers in afterwords. So far I've used lip style drawers in my shop ( it seems sot keep the dust out) & plan to do so in this cabinet too. So I'll still have the dividers to put in. :)

Todd Burch
11-01-2004, 5:53 PM
OK, I understand where you're coming from now. I've never used dowels (but I know how...) and compared to pocket screws, biscuits are way too slow.

Be sure to take those progress pictures!! Todd

Jim Becker
11-01-2004, 6:25 PM
Pocket screws, Bart. Everywhere on that face frame!! Fast, strong, efficient, square. Can't beat 'em! Now I do the major frame first, but becaue the only clamping is when you are actually screwing the joint, you can then immediately move to the internal components.

John Miliunas
11-02-2004, 12:01 AM
Yup! 'Nuther vote for pocket screws. I can't remember the last time I built a face frame without them! :) :cool:

Dean Baumgartner
11-02-2004, 11:10 AM
I'd have to go with the pocket screws too.
Just finishing up my first project using them instead of the biscuits I used in the past. The only question I have is why nobody made me change long ago.

Dean

Brad Hammond
11-02-2004, 11:32 AM
pocket screws here!! kreg jig and mcfeely's screws cant go wrong! super strong.

cya
brad