PDA

View Full Version : Dust mask filters

Prashun Patel
03-02-2010, 9:39 AM
I use an AO Safety 95190 respirator that has since been discontinued by almost all retailers. I need replacement filters. DOes anyone know if alternate brands (3m?) fit in this mask? Else, can I make my own filters?

I'm considering just getting a 3m 6000 series mask, but while people find them very comfortable, I prefer the small size of my AO Safety...

glenn bradley
03-02-2010, 10:18 AM
I am so depressed. I love this mask. I am currently trying to find another in case this one ever wears out. I tried many but this one suits me best by a large margin. I wouold be interested in hearing about any mask you find that is as light, comfortable, non-vision blocking, etc. as this one. I will be sure to post if I find a source.

Prashun Patel
03-02-2010, 11:22 AM
I hear you Glenn. I heard u can get them @ Sears.

I just ordered a 3m half mask 6000 series. Here's why:

1) It accepts organic vapor cartridges, so I can use it for finishing
2) It gets great reviews here @ SMC
3) You can get P100 filters for it
4) The P95 and P100 filters are ubiquitous (at least, they can easily be found @ HD and AMZN).

The 3m does get high marks for comfort. Since i've gotten serious about wearing my mask, I've noticed that for it to be fully effective, I gotta snug my AO up pretty tight, and it leaves marks on my face for an hour, and it hurts a little.

I'll see if the filters fit the AO Safety mask. Even if they require a little trimming, it might be good to have that one for times when the 3m gets in the way.

If it works, I'm gonna buy a boatload of filters so I don't find myself in this same position 5 years from now.

BTW, don't try to wash the p95 filters. Doing so will screw up the airflow; I think the fibers swell and don't return to their original form (?) so you won't be able to breathe through it (DAMHIKT! ;))

Karl Card
03-02-2010, 11:43 AM
if you are talking about the round filters that were made to fit into a round lid then yes you can still get them. they are under the number 2078 for n95 made from 3m.

It seems that 3m and aosafety have joined hands in holy business matrimony

Neil Brooks
03-02-2010, 12:08 PM
To Karl's point....

Just looked at the Amazon page.

According to their data ... 16% of people who look at the OEM replacement filters eventually buy the 3M replacement filters.

So ... either 16% of the people are happy (they fit) or unhappy (they don't).

I'm guessing they do ;)

Prashun Patel
03-02-2010, 12:29 PM
Thanks, All. I picked up some of those too.

glenn bradley
03-02-2010, 12:35 PM
I should have mentioned I have gotten those filters at the K-mart in my area that carries Craftsman stuff. Funny though, the local Sears about 4 miles away doesn't carry them(?).

glenn bradley
03-02-2010, 10:32 PM
A response from my email inquirey:

"Glenn,

Aearo Company has been acquired by 3M Company and all AOSafety Respiratory protection products have been discontinued

You cannot use another manufacturers cartridges on an AOSafety mask. It is a NIOSH requirement that cartridges and filters do not interchange between manufacturers. They want to know that the unit that was tested and assigned an approval number has not been altered.

We do not sell direct. I would check places like Sears and other smaller outlets that might still have some on the shelf.

Anne"

Karl Card
03-02-2010, 10:39 PM
i have looked around for a new respirator but so far where i have looked the ones that i would have the place doesnt sell the filters for it.. stupid stupid stupid...

I got lucky and bought 20 of them on ebay for 9.90 shipped.. so when that runs out then ill look for something new