PDA

View Full Version : Poll: Dog Holes, Round or Square?

Michael Peet
03-02-2010, 8:51 AM
Assuming you were building a new bench, would you opt for one over the other? Why?

Any thoughts are greatly appreciated -

Mike

John Coloccia
03-02-2010, 9:02 AM
Any thing but the ridiculous 1" round holes in my Sjoberg bench. There's no hardware on the planet that fits it. Generally I like round holes so the dogs and holddowns can turn to fit the work.

Frank Drew
03-02-2010, 9:51 AM
I voted for square dog holes because those are what I'm familiar with, and what I put in my bench. Intuitively, I'd think that round holes wouldn't hold as securely with only one dog at either end of the work, but I've never used round so don't know that from direct experience.

In any case, I never had any reason to question how well my square holes/dogs have held the work.

glenn bradley
03-02-2010, 10:04 AM
Round as I often have to fit things that aren't perpendicular to the vise. I make my own holddowns and many aftermarket goodies fit round as well.

george wilson
03-02-2010, 11:03 AM
Holes should be rectangular,not square. Allows for a spring to be fitted on the dogs.

Prashun Patel
03-02-2010, 11:36 AM
I'm no bench expert, but round holes are easier to make and can hold material at any orientation - not just perpendic to the bench edges.

I make my dogs out of hardwood dowels. I cut a tapered notch off the top and never have issues with holding material. The bigger factor is how true and snug the dogs fit the holes.

Paul Murphy
03-02-2010, 11:48 AM
I used the 3/4" round holes, made it simpler. Lee Valley sells 3/4" brass dogs with a piano wire spring, and I've never had them slip, but they will rotate to square themselves to an irregular shape. I can use those same 3/4" holes for all sorts of handy holdfasts. In a pinch a 3/4" dowel can be substituted if I need multiple dogs.

I think the square dogs are fine, just a bit more work, and hard to retrofit.
The square dogs do have that visual appeal though, like a well cut dovetail :).

Jerome Hanby
03-02-2010, 11:59 AM
Round to facilitate bench accessories Sam Allen style.

Chuck Tringo
03-02-2010, 1:37 PM
3/4 inch round, LVs bench goodies fit this size as do Joel's holdfasts from TFWW.

Tommy Squires
03-02-2010, 1:50 PM
Chuck, thank you for your service. None of us can ever repay you or your family for the sacrifice you make for us.

Round dogs and holes for me. Certainly easier to make. If you have square, you will still need to have some round for hold downs. Can't relate to the idea that square hold better. Round have never slipped in my experience. As had been said here the rounds will rotate to allow full contact on the piece being worked.

Here's mine:
http://s216.photobucket.com/albums/cc154/tdsquires/My%20Workbench/

Just can't seem to download pictures to SMC. Sorry

Jim Koepke
03-02-2010, 2:57 PM
I like round. Just so many more accessories aimed at the 3/4" hole.

It is also pretty easy to add more when needed.

I have been able to deal with odd shaped items wanting to make a dog spin.

I have considered squared for a new bench, but all the advantages can be incorporated in round dogs.

jim

harry strasil
03-02-2010, 3:30 PM
Round, 39 in the top, 36 in the apron, I use a wedge system a lot to hold things.

David Gilbert
03-02-2010, 4:49 PM
I like rectangular but voted for square. I can show you my approach to make rectangular dog holes and how I make my dogs. I agree with someone above about square holes being a pain. I sent you a PM. Give me a call.

Cheers,
David

jerry nazard
03-02-2010, 5:15 PM
Square along the front edge, one row of round down the middle. Best of both worlds.

James Taglienti
03-03-2010, 9:29 AM
Well george, if you make a square hole it's still pretty easy to fit a spring to the dog... you can just cut away the dog where the spring is going to go...
I have round dog holes right now but I am considering chopping some square ones pretty soon. The round ones are nice and versatile, but they tend to twist and turn.

george wilson
03-03-2010, 1:14 PM
Traditionally,dog holes were rectangular. Hold fast holes were,and are round,so the hold fast can swivel.

I recall when round holes for dogs first started being used on commercial benches. They were a short cut to doing it right. I'm sure this will aggravate some,but it's the truth.

Pedro Reyes
03-03-2010, 1:22 PM
Voted both. On my next bench...

In line with the vise, square/rectangular.

Everywhere else round I suppose for my holdfasts.

/p

Richard Dooling
03-03-2010, 1:48 PM
Round - for me they are more versatile and I've never had an issue with them slipping.

The Lee Valley round dogs incorporate a clever spring and I use cabinet bullet catches in wood dowels for my shop made dogs. I also create a slightly angled flat at the top to seat against the work.

I guess there could be an advantage to a square dog not being able to swivel though.

glenn bradley
03-03-2010, 4:37 PM
Holes should be rectangular,not square. Allows for a spring to be fitted on the dogs.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=102897&d=1228504888

Larry Frank
03-03-2010, 8:45 PM
I like the round holes. Most of the holes in my bench have a threaded nut in the bottom of them. I can then mount 3/4" wood threaded oak dowels in them and can use wood nuts to hold down various types of fixtures to the top of my bench to hold my work pieces.