PDA

View Full Version : Carter bandsaw guides, do yours look like this?

Rick Huelsbeck
03-02-2010, 8:07 AM
I talked with Jeff at Carter and he suggested moving the trunion to the right (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=134064) so I did that, had to move it as far right as I could get it to line the blade up center of the thrust bearing, then had to shift the table to the far left to center the blade to the insert, not much room to adjust the table square at this point but that is yet to be done. Now my concern is that my left bearing is visibly further away from the blade than is the right bearing. Do yours look like this? Yes the blade is fully tensioned and the bearings are at the widest possible point.:eek: If possible could you supply pictures of your carter guides?

Frank Drew
03-02-2010, 10:00 AM
Rick,

I had the same issue with a set of Carter replacement bearing guides I put on my Oliver 192D; it was slightly annoying, but the guides worked reasonably well nevertheless.

Thomas Allan
03-02-2010, 10:33 AM
Hmm, I don't have that problem with mine. They seemed super-fussy to set up, but I did manage to them in precisional place.

Maybe later today I can get a pic of mine posted (and get a re-looksee at the adjustments, it's been quite a while since I've even touched them).

Mike Cruz
03-02-2010, 2:39 PM
Nope, don't have that problem with mine on my Ridgid. But had a similar problem with the guide bearings on my Grizzly (old model). That is why I cut my guide assembly and had it rewelded back together in the proper position. Not saying you should do that with your Carters, just what I had to do.

John Coloccia
03-02-2010, 5:12 PM
I had a heck of a time getting Carters lined up on my 19" Grizzly. I ended up sending them back. The mounts were just not right for that saw. That said, the micro-adjust ones they make for the...uhm, 14" saws, I think....are VERY nice, the ones I've seen fit like a glove, and everything's where it should be.

I think it's one of these things where they just don't have every saw on the planet, and they do their best to get you something that works, but they just don't have the right stuff on hand to fit every combination, and that makes the whole thing a little hit or miss sometimes. No probem because their customer service was great through the whole thing, they took the guides back, and no hard feelings :) I do like their resaw blade a whole lot.

Josiah Bartlett
03-02-2010, 8:18 PM
I talked with Jeff at Carter and he suggested moving the trunion to the right (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=134064) so I did that, had to move it as far right as I could get it to line the blade up center of the thrust bearing, then had to shift the table to the far left to center the blade to the insert, not much room to adjust the table square at this point but that is yet to be done. Now my concern is that my left bearing is visibly further away from the blade than is the right bearing. Do yours look like this? Yes the blade is fully tensioned and the bearings are at the widest possible point.:eek: If possible could you supply pictures of your carter guides?

You could just grind down your tires a bit if it bothers you that much. You get the opportunity to make them round and crowned again at the same time.

michael osadchuk
03-03-2010, 12:16 AM
The side and thrust ball bearing kit that I bought from Carter for my General 15" domestic fit fine: blade is centered on the thrust bearing and will touch it when the saw is cutting wood and side bearings just Kiss" the sides of the blade without the bandsaw running.
If you can't get the side bearings to touch, sounds like your choices are cutting and rewelding the mounts as Mike Cruz suggests or returning the "upgrade".

In my case, I found that while the guides look nice, I didn't find any noticeable improvement over side guide blocks.

good luck

michael

Rick Huelsbeck
03-03-2010, 10:55 AM
In talking to him we decided that since the top was worse than the bottom and well can't do more with the bottom anyway I'm going to flip the bearing on top by putting the sleeve that the bearing rides on in the front and the small spacer in the back, that will move the bearing left, meaning I can move the the whole thing right hopefully centering the blade more. I will post pictures this evening after I get it done.:D

Paul Atkins
03-03-2010, 1:24 PM
Just seems like they weren't designed right to me.

Rick Huelsbeck
03-04-2010, 9:05 AM
In talking to him we decided that since the top was worse than the bottom and well can't do more with the bottom anyway I'm going to flip the bearing on top by putting the sleeve that the bearing rides on in the front and the small spacer in the back, that will move the bearing left, meaning I can move the the whole thing right hopefully centering the blade more. I will post pictures this evening after I get it done.:D

Well that did not work and I'm going to return them