PDA

View Full Version : Irritating email responses from iPhones

Dick Strauss
03-02-2010, 4:13 AM
Gripe to follow:

I'm growing tired of receiving email responses from folks using iPhones. Every time I get one it says "sent from so and so's iPhone". I don't care if it was sent from soup can to soup can to the telegraph office, then relayed by morse code down a Comcast cable that got routed to a Motorola modem through a Cisco router and was finally displayed on my IBM computer;). Lots of phones allow for the reading and sending of emails including the one I have. Does Apple actually think that they can generate product envy this way? :confused::confused::confused::confused:

Thanks for listening...
Dick

Tim Morton
03-02-2010, 6:22 AM
Man...if thats what bugs you in life you have a pretty good thing going....

sent from my Verizon Wireless Phone.:D

Eric DeSilva
03-02-2010, 8:40 AM
It is a default message. It can be changed. Follows the long history of RIM doing the "Sent from my Blackberry" for their devices for years. I've changed mine, because I'm not really into advertising for them, but not everyone is willing to dig into their settings beyond a pretty basic level.

The one thing that I would note is that bloggers have observed that the equivalent of "sent from my mobile device" is not always a bad thing in the business/trade world. People are a little more willing to forgive bad English, typos and the like if they realize it was typed on a phone outside the office.

Curt Harms
03-02-2010, 8:42 AM
Gripe to follow:

I'm growing tired of receiving email responses from folks using iPhones. Every time I get one it says "sent from so and so's iPhone". I don't care if it was sent from soup can to soup can to the telegraph office, then relayed by morse code down a Comcast cable that got routed to a Motorola modem through a Cisco router and was finally displayed on my IBM computer;). Lots of phones allow for the reading and sending of emails including the one I have. Does Apple actually think that they can generate product envy this way? :confused::confused::confused::confused:

Thanks for listening...
Dick

Among a certain portion of their users, that is EXACTLY what they think. It likely works, too. Among us less hip-chic-hey-look-at-me types, not so much

Matt Meiser
03-02-2010, 9:38 AM
Yep, mine said "Sent from my HTC Snap on the Sprint Now Network" or something like that until I changed it. And practically everyone I know who has a Blackberry still has the default.

If I want someone to know I'm mobile, I'll tell them--otherwise its seemless. Especially if I'm at Customer A's place and Customer B sends me an email.

Eric DeSilva
03-02-2010, 10:55 AM
Among a certain portion of their users, that is EXACTLY what they think. It likely works, too. Among us less hip-chic-hey-look-at-me types, not so much

Given that these self-promotional messages have been part of every smartphone built since the original RIM, yet it is only the Apple message that causes this reaction, one might speculate that the problem is less an attempt to induce envy on the part of the sender, but more a question of an inferiority complex on the part of the recipient.

I'm just sayin' the road could go both ways here. :rolleyes:

It might also have to do with the fact that the iPhone is really the first successful smartphone to cross over from business to consumers, and that, while business users have been used to seeing these types of messages for years, a lot of non-business email users probably haven't.

Bob Borzelleri
03-02-2010, 12:22 PM
I think there is value in seeing the "Sent from my (fill in your phone)" message.

It tells me that the accuracy, appropriateness and/or overall significance of the message I received might have been influenced by the sender being on the move and/or compromised by having to type with itsy bitsy buttons or pressure sensitive screens instead of proper keyboards.

Sent from my Macintosh iBook G4 while sitting in front of a fire with a cat rubbing my feet and wondering if this rain will turn to snow by this evening.:cool:

Mark Maleski
03-02-2010, 12:33 PM
I changed mine to "Sent from my mobile device - please forgive brevity and spelling errors."

Matt Meiser
03-02-2010, 1:00 PM
I changed mine to "Sent from my mobile device - please forgive brevity and spelling errors."

Now that I like!

Dick Strauss
03-02-2010, 1:36 PM
Amen Mark! I can understand letting folks know you are mobile for the reasons mentioned.

Nice one Bob and Tim! Bob, was that your latest Facebook entry?;)

Eric,
I've been seeing a lot of them from iPhone users and not from others. I don't have phone envy (well I guess I do since I have the enV3;)). I take issue with all devices and systems that do this whether it be the latest RIM Blackberry, Apple iPhone, etc or some online email services that add advertising tags trying to get more users onto their systems. I don't think these tags have any place in a business environment unless you work for that company and the message is sent to another employee at the same company. As has been said, possibly the users are new adopters and don't know that their device does this or how to disable it.

All,
Can you imagine what it would be like if every system and device that touched the message added an advertising tag? Advertising that is that "in your face" is a total turn-off to me.

Bryan Morgan
03-03-2010, 12:13 AM
Don't some online email systems do this as well? Yahoo, etc? I don't care either way as I barely read what people send me at the top of the message anyway... :) I hate cell phones in general... probably because its part of my job to set them up with various services for some of our staff... they all suck no matter what the manufacturer or zealots tell you. ;)

Jason Roehl
03-03-2010, 9:13 AM
Honestly, I ignore all that stuff, be it from a mobile device or a free e-mail service like Yahoo or Gmail. The reason being, I don't have time for that stuff to bother me, and when going through my e-mail, it only slows me down when I pay attention to it. I know quite a few folks who see e-mail as a huge burden and take forever to sort through web pages because they don't know how to scan through visual information, ignoring items that aren't pertinent to their lives or their given goal at the moment. The downside to my approach is that once I find a relevant link or source of info, I want pages to change instantly--I like to be able to predict where I need to click to get to the next page if it's a familiar website.

Horton Brasses
03-03-2010, 4:49 PM

I need to do that. I was answering all of my e-mail from my phone all since last Friday-it was a pain and I know I had more typos than would normally be acceptable. I had changed that sent from my iphone message but maybe this is a good reason to keep it.

Van Huskey
03-05-2010, 2:04 AM
Having used Backberry's for what seems like decades, I am used to it and I do give leeway when know an emal is sent from a mobile device and hope to get the same in return.

Steve knight
03-05-2010, 2:14 AM
mine used to say I am riding my bicycle so don't expect perfect typing on my iphone or something such.
but people where wondering if I was riding at 12 at night. so I changed it to Hey I am typing on my iphone so don't expect perfection.

David Freed
03-05-2010, 7:13 AM
I don't abbreviate all my words to the point that I am writing a whole new language. Actually, I rarely abbreviate anything, and I also fix my spelling errors, so if I try to send a message from my phone using my big fingers on those tiny buttons, I might as well write the rest of the day off. :rolleyes: Needless to say, I don't text from my phone.

I have a cell phone because I want a phone, not a gizmo that does everything you can imagine. I don't text, e-mail, listen to music, play games, etc. I use my phone to talk to someone using my voice. :eek:

It is pathetic is that so many people think that is weird.

Harlan Coverdale
03-05-2010, 7:39 AM
Gripe to follow:

Thanks for listening...
Dick

i feel yr pain man :D

Sent from Harlan's iPhone

Bryan Morgan
03-05-2010, 11:23 PM
I don't abbreviate all my words to the point that I am writing a whole new language. Actually, I rarely abbreviate anything, and I also fix my spelling errors, so if I try to send a message from my phone using my big fingers on those tiny buttons, I might as well write the rest of the day off. :rolleyes: Needless to say, I don't text from my phone.

I have a cell phone because I want a phone, not a gizmo that does everything you can imagine. I don't text, e-mail, listen to music, play games, etc. I use my phone to talk to someone using my voice. :eek:

It is pathetic is that so many people think that is weird.

Heh, I'm opposite. I want a phone more as a portable computer. I hate talking to people on the phone.

Bud Millis
03-06-2010, 12:17 AM
Get use to it. Its only going to get worse.

Sent from my IPhone while sitting on a beach in St. Croix USVI.