PDA

View Full Version : Laguna TSS

Bill May
03-02-2010, 1:03 AM
Let me take a min and introduce my self. My nice is William May. I am a custom finish carpenter and kinda a bench warmer here at sawmill ,I have never had really a question i havent been able to find an answer too yet from other post, til now. I currently have two unisaws and am currently intrested in upgrading to a laguna tss or possibly a smaller felder. If and one has any experince with the laguna your input would be much appreciated.

Bill

Mike Heidrick
03-02-2010, 1:34 AM
Bill I own a Laguna T1002S sliding table tilting spindle shaper. The shaper's sliding table is the same as on the TSS. It is awesome for my shop (way overkill). The table is super smooth and would be sweet on a TSS I am betting. The TSS has a baldor motor in it I believe - my shaper has a baldor reliance and it is the nicest motor in my shop. The machine is made in Bulgaria by Stomano Hickman and I believe the manual is now on Lagunas site - if not I have it as I had Stomano email it to me (pm me if you cannot find it). There are several "upgrades" to the fence on the slider so make very sure you know what fence pieces you want.

Tim Lory is the man to call at Laguna and ask about a deal. He may refer you to other machinery experts if you have tech questions or he will get you the answer.

The machine will come with a 3ph motor and a VFD to power it with single phase if it is like my shaper.

One other thing, this is a IWF year in Atlanta and if you can go there I am betting you can get a crazy deal on a machine they are demoing. If not go there - then at least call and try and buy the demo machine and have it shipped to you after IWF.

Thomas love
03-02-2010, 9:24 AM
William, I have the original model TSS, 5 hp Baldor 3 phase. I also had two PM 66 . If you can keep one UNI for ripping and use a small slider for all your crosscut needs . I have 0 problems with My TSS, nothing fancy to look at but certainly a good little performer. I would not opt for the scoring unit again as I have never even used it, A forrest 12 inch 30 and 40 tooth have been on there for quite a while and do a great job.

They advertise it with the fence mounted on the front of the saw, I do not know why , I mounted mine on the back end like a traditional slider. The idea of lifting sheet goods or any material over the fence and hold down makes no sense to me.

I am not pro any brand, I am pro slider... once you start to get used to one they just make sense. Good luck with your choices.
Tom