PDA

View Full Version : Shipping Charges

Tullie Templet
03-01-2010, 9:56 PM
I was thinking about selling my brand new unopened DW735 planer on that auction web site so I could buy a 20" grizzly planer that I found locally. I went to UPS to get an estimate for shipping it so I just put California ( I live in Louisiana) to get a quote and it says $178.00. Does this sound right. That is outrageous and if that is the case it sure ruins my plans. I could try and sell it locally but the market around here is low and I would probably have to give it away. Anyone have any ideas to help me out. I have to sell it for at least $450 to be able to get the 20". Thanks !!!

Chris Harry
03-01-2010, 10:30 PM
Try FedEx instead.

I estimated shipping one from CT to CA (figuring that would be the most it would cost for anyone that bought it) and Im pretty sure it was about 100.00 to ship it, including 500.00 worth of insurance.

-Chris

Tullie Templet
03-01-2010, 10:40 PM
fed ex showed $168.00 :mad:

Chris Harry
03-01-2010, 10:44 PM
Whats the shipping weight? I used the weight listed on Amazon, I think it was 92 lbs.

Mike Heidrick
03-01-2010, 10:44 PM
List it on CL and sell it local and pay no fees.

Dave Lehnert
03-01-2010, 10:45 PM
And we get upset when Grizzly wants to charge us $89 to ship a bandsaw the size of a refrigerator. :eek:

Stephen Edwards
03-02-2010, 12:56 AM
Check with a freight company, trucking company, common carrier, etc. I don't know about shipping just one item but they're generally much cheaper of you're shipping a pallet of goods. Anyway, it might be worth checking out.

Another option: I use a local business for shipping fedex and UPS. This is not on those businesses like mailbox etc. It's just a local business that ships a lot of merchandise from their several websites. As a service to locals, they also ship packages for us and charge a very reasonable fee for that service. The clincher is that they get a discount from both FedEx and UPS because they ship so much merchandise. If such a business exists in your area, it would be worth looking into.

Example: I shipped a box of merchandise to Germany. I took it to the nearest FedEx center. They wanted $168.00 plus ding, ding, ding and LOTS of paperwork.

Then, I took the box to the local business mentioned above along with one copy of the packing list and BOL. I gave them the box and those two papers. They took care of everything and it cost me 94 dollars total and a lot less hassle than going directly to FedEx.

I thought of another possibility, too. Bus Freight. I don't know if they have a weight limit or what their prices are. Still, might be worth checking out.

Tullie Templet
03-02-2010, 11:39 PM
Thanks for the replies guys but the 20" planer is no longer. Long story short someone else got it. Good news is I am #1 on his list for some other things he may be selling and he also has 1500 BF of red oak ruff that he will sell to me at a good price when I need it. Thanks Again !!!