PDA

View Full Version : Can't even buy a good plane in this town

Philip Johnson
03-01-2010, 9:53 PM
A good block plane was recommend as a good first plane for me in a previous thread so I thought today I would go shop for one. I live near Minneapolis and St Paul Mn. I went to Woodcraft and he only had a few Lie Nielsens and no block planes. He told me Woodcraft was no longer going to carry Lie Nielsen so he would not be getting any more in. He then tried to sell me a cheap stanley said I could buy a good blade and flatten the bottom and have a good plane or a Wood River one which he did not have in stock. I told him I was not interested in a cheap plane or buying new blades or working on one I just wanted to buy a quality tool and be able to use it.

I know I can order a Lie or Varitas online but I kind of wanted to check em out. Is there any place I can go see and play with some. I travel quite a bit so doesn't have to be in Minnesota.

Thanks
Phil

Callan Campbell
03-01-2010, 10:00 PM
Venture over to Lie-Nielsen's website for a list of their tool events that are being held all over the country each year, esp now with the Woodcraft parting of the ways. Find out one that matches your schedule and travel miles limit. Go to said show, bring napkins for drooling, and maybe some cash for a plane, saw or other must have tool that catches your eye while you're there. Have a great time:cool:

Brian Kent
03-01-2010, 10:10 PM
Wow - timing! How about March 12 and 13 in Minneapolis?

Lee Valley is at Woodworking Shows, but the last one in Minneapolis was December 2009. Here is their website:http://www.ptreeusa.com/shows.htm

Philip Johnson
03-01-2010, 10:22 PM
Great and I am off that weekend...I guess I know where I will be. Can you purchase planes at those events or do you still have to order them.

thanks
Phil

Jim Barrett
03-01-2010, 11:02 PM
Yes, they have planes for sale at the event. You will pay local sales tax though. If there is a plane you have in mind...call them and let them know so they will have one for you.

Jim

David Gilbert
03-01-2010, 11:03 PM
Lie-Nielsen usually has some inventory at their shows for the most common items. Go look at their website and figure out what you are interested in. Then you can call them and make sure that they will bring the block planes that you are most interested in. One of the really nice things about their shows is that you can try out everything on wood and talk to their folks about the advantages and problems with them.

I went to the one here in Rochester and learned a lot about sharpening. I had been using Scary Sharp and they demonstrated how easy it was to use the Shapton stones that I jumped at them. They have a very easy to learn sharpening system (a PDF in on their website as well) but seeing the results is worth it.

My only warning is to hold onto your wallet because some of their things are really beautiful both to look at and to use. You could end up spending a fair amount of money on these toys!

Cheers,
David

Michael Peet
03-02-2010, 8:49 AM
I went to the one here in Rochester

I missed it last summer and I've been kicking myself every day.

Mike

Bruce Haugen
03-02-2010, 9:21 AM
Rockler, over by Ridgedale, carries the new Stanleys. If you make it down to Des Moines, check out the Woodsmith store. That is a lot of fun. And if you are interested in jaw-dropping, outstanding craftsmanship, Wayne Anderson in Elk River will probably make you one, although there is a waiting list.:D