PDA

View Full Version : Another shop built hollowing rig

Bob Wolfe
03-01-2010, 9:51 PM
I posted a question about building hollowing rigs recently and decided to pass on the captive bar type system and try to build an articulated arm, or steel snake as most are calling them now days. Here's what I came up with :D. This system is built off ideas I borrowed from several pictures of others I have seen and just a little bit of my own imagination. The big thing is I wanted a platform instead of it being mounted into the tailstock. I saw pictures of the one Mike Baber made and liked it but I don't have a welder and I don't know how to weld if I had one. Unlike Mike's design the platform vertical post is threaded and it is bolted to the base plate.

I built it from some pieces of mild steel and various hardware from ACE, Lowes and HD. I got the laser pointer from Radio Shack. The base plate is made of a plastic called Starboard. I also made the clamping mechanism from pieces of starboard I turned on the lathe and tapped. The laser mount is just steel tubing, plumbing fitting and a wood block I made to hold the laser. Tools needed were saw, drill press, vise & bits, grinder, sanding disc (on the lathe), taps, and files. So you don't need a complete metal shop and you don't need to be an expert in working with steel to make something like this.

So far it works pretty slick, but I need to make a bar or cutters for getting into the neck and into corners. I have ordered a set of thrust bearings to make it work even smoother. Thank you Bill Bolen for answering all my questions while I was building it. I need a lot of practice before I can make forms as nice as many of yours, but I'm still learning and I know it won't happen overnight. I'm having fun and that is what matters. :)

Bob Wolfe

Joseph M Lary
03-01-2010, 10:22 PM
Nice job I like the way it turner out ,I debated with the snake or the captive bar and did the bar, but after seeing your set up Im going to have to give that a try also.
I really like the way you hooked up the laser pointer with the 3way compression fitting. Good job thanks for the post.

Bernie Weishapl
03-01-2010, 10:36 PM
Very nice job and looks like it will work great.

Bill Bolen
03-01-2010, 10:36 PM
Turned out great Bob. And I see you have completed atleast one already. It's great to see a "no weld" homemade system posted. The welding thing is a big stumbling block for many an aspiring hollow former. Thanks for posting and explaining..Bill..

Bob Wolfe
03-03-2010, 1:30 PM
Turned out great Bob. And I see you have completed atleast one already. It's great to see a "no weld" homemade system posted. The welding thing is a big stumbling block for many an aspiring hollow former. Thanks for posting and explaining..Bill..

Thanks for your positive comments Joseph, Bernie and Bill. I was a bit hesitant to post because the fit and finish is not up to somebody's standards. To me as long as a tool is functional and safe it doesn't have to be a show piece. I hope it will encourage others to give it a shot.

Acutally Bill the form in the picture is just a prop. I went just a tad too far during the hollowing and sanding stages and made it into a bottomless form when I was parting it from the glue block. I will plan better for it on the next one. Just another practice piece, no great loss. ;)

charlie knighton
03-03-2010, 3:03 PM
very nice....

Wayne Bower
03-03-2010, 5:52 PM
nice looking rig, Bob. I built one about 1 1/2 years ago and love it.

David E Keller
03-03-2010, 7:17 PM
Looks good. I'm not a welder, but I think this looks like something even I could make. I'm looking forward to seeing a finished piece from this rig. I'd also be interested in your thougts after you've used it a few times regarding design changes, etc.