PDA

View Full Version : H.N.T. Smoother

Ron Kellison
03-01-2010, 9:31 PM
If this is a legitimate item (and I think it is) I'm surprised that the bidding hasn't been more active. Anyone care to hazard a guess as to what it will bring when the hammer falls?

cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250585079601&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT[/url]

Regards,

Ron

Eiji Fuller
03-01-2010, 10:44 PM
looks new. should go for about 150

David Gendron
03-01-2010, 11:16 PM
I would be surprised if it goes as hi as Eiji said... That said I always get sniped on most of my stuff by $1.... So I think if you want that plane, and you were ready to buy one anyway, bid accordingly!

Brian Kent
03-02-2010, 12:19 AM
Craftsman Studio $137.35 new.

Eiji Fuller
03-02-2010, 1:11 AM
That plane is actually 191.-- new at craftsman studio. you were looking at the palm smoother. or maybe I was mistaken and the ebay aution is for the palm smoother.

edit: looks like I was mistaken. I took another look and it does look like the small smoother or HNT palm smoother for 131.00

so maybe it should go for 100.00

george wilson
03-02-2010, 11:08 AM
The wedge looks so easy to split,with that "V" cut away going way up the wedge. I wish they wouldn't do that.

David Gendron
03-02-2010, 1:08 PM
George, I have a "Munjingfang" that use the same kind of wedge, and never had any problem... So far!

Derek Cohen
03-02-2010, 1:45 PM
The HNT Gordon palm smoother is a wonderful plane. Impeccably and strongly built. Amazingly useful for its size.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Jon Toebbe
03-02-2010, 7:45 PM
George, I have a "Munjingfang" that use the same kind of wedge, and never had any problem... So far!
One of my Mujingfang planes arrived with a split wedge, but it split cleanly so it wasn't a problem gluing it back together. In use, it's help up just fine (so far). The seller offered to send me another wedge, but I haven't seen the need.

Brian Kent
03-02-2010, 7:55 PM
The HNT Gordon palm smoother is a wonderful plane. Impeccably and strongly built. Amazingly useful for its size.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Derek,

How would you compare the HNT Gordon planes with Mujingfang?

Brian

Ron Kellison
03-02-2010, 8:01 PM
FWIW, I acquired a Mujingfang high angle smoother just prior to Christmas, along with it's little 4" buddy. Once I got the blades sharpened and the sole flattened I've been a happy camper! Thanks, Derek! :)

I have no intention of bidding on the EBay listing although I'm sure it's a fine plane. At the moment, I have a LV #4, LV low angle block, LV Medium shoulder, a Stanley # 7 with a Hock blade and LV jointer fence, a Stanley #5 1/2 (the jury's still out on that one!), a Japanese block and a Japanese smoother. Both of the Japanese planes were bought in Osaka directly from the maker (at the forge!) and bear no identification. However, I was directed to the maker by the curator of a local arts/crafts museum so I think the provenance is OK. All things considered, I have enough plane potential on my plate to consume the hour or two I'm able to devote to the shop each week!

Regards,

Ron

Pam Niedermayer
03-02-2010, 10:03 PM

Regards from Perth

Derek

That's also my experience.

Pam

Derek Cohen
03-03-2010, 1:37 AM
Derek,

How would you compare the HNT Gordon planes with Mujingfang?

Brian

In performance they are very similar, essentially the same, but I would rather rely on the HNT Gordon. Both have 1/8" thick blades bedded at 60 degrees. I think that the blades are 1 1/4" wide. The HNT Gordon is better finished.

I have the Mujingfang, but have used the Gordon a good bit. The Mujingfang needed tuning to perform well. The Gordon worked out of the box, which is what you might expect at the price difference.

Two palm smoothers ... (the Muji is termed a "mini" smoother .. both about 3 1/2" long) .... HNT Gordon on the right.

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a262/Derek50/Planes/HNT%20Gordon/IMG_7053.jpg

Regards from Perth

Derek

Brian Kent
03-03-2010, 1:46 AM
Thank you Derek.

Ron Kellison
03-04-2010, 7:17 PM
The "hammer" price was $135. If the price at Craftsman Studio is $137 it looks like you could buy one of these, try it out for awhile and then get most if not all of your money back on EBay! I wonder if it would work with that Wenzloff dovetail saw I've been thinking about?:D

Regards,

Ron

Derek Cohen
03-04-2010, 7:30 PM
I had a chance to look at the eBay auction. The details were very poor. In fact I could not tell from the images whether the plane offered was the Smoother (which I think it was) or the Palm Smoother (which I discussed above).

Here is the (large) smoother ..

http://www.inthewoodshop.com/ToolReviews/The%20HNT%20Gordon%20Smoother%20and%20Trying%20Pla ne_html_m19bfbb92.jpg

My review is here: http://www.inthewoodshop.com/ToolReviews/The%20HNT%20Gordon%20Smoother%20and%20Trying%20Pla ne.html

If it was the (large) Smoother and not the (mini) Palm Smoother on auction, then that price may have been a bargain as I expect (but do not know) the Smoother to cost a lot more than $135.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Brian Kent
03-04-2010, 7:45 PM
Yes, the smoother - not the palm smoother - is $191 at Craftsman Studio.

edit: I just read your review Derek. Excellent job and excellent plane!

2nd edit: I was inspired by all of this. I have a Mujingfang smoother (regular angle) that has never worked well enough to be a favorite - only "good enough".

I re-sharpened the blade, starting hollow grinding with back flattening and found that the sharp end of the back was rounded over badly. I worked it for a long time with 220 on granite and then settled for the ruler trick. Then used the shaptons and got wonderful results.

Now the .002" curlies and the surface are great - but… it is years after I bought the plane. It works great, but the blade was not even ready to hone when it came. It had to be reshaped.

Brian