PDA

View Full Version : What kind of respirator cartridge?

Clarence Miller
03-01-2010, 9:22 PM
Hi there,
I have decided that it is time to take better care of the lungs that I have as replacement is not likely. I was able to pick up a full face respirator mask but then I started looking for the right cartridges. I was thinking that the Organic Vapor/ Acid Mist variety should work for staining and spraying on a finish. I use oil based stain and am playing with the polyacrylic and water based polyuerathane. I just wanted to make sure I was buying the right filters.
Thanks,.
CW:confused:

Brian Kent
03-01-2010, 10:19 PM
Yes, CW, that's the right kind. I got those for my half-mask filter and it really helps.

Brian

Jim Becker
03-01-2010, 10:20 PM
The filters you mention are just fine. For the most part, you're mostly trying to avoid breathing particulates from water borne finishes; there is little or no VOC involved.

Note that you may not be able to apply water borne products directly over the oil based stains and get proper adhesion unless you spray a barrier coat of dewaxed shellac.

Clarence Miller
03-01-2010, 10:56 PM
Thanks for the quick response, I never worried much about finishing odors until recently. I have a self made cnc router that I do engraving on. If I brush on enough stain to get in all the crevices I usually have to have extended drying times as I can't really wipe them out. I am experimenting with air brush staining which will add to the vapors so I figured I had better increase my PPE.
Thanks again.