PDA

View Full Version : The Vortex Tool - my repurposed gouges

John Keeton
03-01-2010, 9:13 PM
I had posted a previous thread on the Cindy Drozda vortex tool, and several creekers posted suggestions.

Jeff Nicol and I exchanged some thoughts on the correct grind, and Jeff was kind enough to ship me a piece of O1 rod to play with. Thanks Jeff!!!

But, it needed to be heat treated and I needed to make a handle for it before I could do with much with it.

From the Drozda DVD I captured some screen images -

She uses 1/4", and it is ground to a 25* working bevel, with the heel ground away leaving about 1/16" of working bevel.

In the process of cleaning up from my last bowl project, and in putting my tools back in the rack, a couple of Benjamin Best gouges suddenly caught my eye. Early on, I had purchased 1/4" and 3/8" spindle gouges. Since getting the Thompson detail gouge, I had never used the BB gouges. They are handled, HSS so no heat treating required!! The light came on!!

So, I grabbed them and spent 5 minutes regrinding them, and here is what I ended up with -
143732 143731
The Drozda vortex has a sharp point, but I thought having less of a point might be less likely to catch. There was a piece of walnut waste in the chuck, so I quickly tried them out. They work fantastic and easily make extremely fine cuts like those used by Drozda on the tips of her finials!!

I need to clean up the grinding a bit, but I am very pleased with these and look forward to trying them on the next finial.

Thought this might be an idea for others that have some unused gouges lying around.

David E Keller
03-01-2010, 9:19 PM
Looks good. I've got a skewchigouge laying around somewhere that I bought at a moment of weakness...hmmm, maybe it's got a future after all.

Bernie Weishapl
03-01-2010, 9:45 PM
Nicely made tools John. Yea I did my the lazy way. I did buy Cindy's vortex tool and it is slick as can be especially doing delicate finials.

John Keeton
03-01-2010, 10:40 PM
I've got a skewchigouge laying around somewhere that I bought at a moment of weakness...hmmm, maybe it's got a future after all.David, I have seen the skewchigouge, and the concept is similar. The vortex is a much smaller and a more delicate tool. What is the width of your skewchigouge?

Bernie, I played with the 1/4" one, and I could turn the smallest cove that my poor eyes could see - with no hint of catch or skate. Do you think the point on the vortex is an advantage over the less pointed grind that I have? I could easily try a different grind.

I also found that I can hone these face down on a diamond hone - pretty neat!

David E Keller
03-01-2010, 10:58 PM
John, I think the skewchi is about 1/4 inch. I tried to use it a few times when I first bought it, but that was many shavings ago. I haven't touched it in over a year. It has a much more rounded tip than the Drozda style tool.

When the weather warms, I may give it a try again and then play with the profile of the tip a bit.

Brian Novotny
03-01-2010, 11:08 PM
Looks good. I've got a skewchigouge laying around somewhere that I bought at a moment of weakness...hmmm, maybe it's got a future after all.

When my old skewchigouge "crossed the point" I ground a "spunion" or vortex tool.....I ground the top, but had never touched or really seen her grind, I just put a roundedbevel on the bottom and it was a pencil shaver fo sho.

Ken Glass
03-02-2010, 12:04 AM
John,
I have Cindy's Vortex, and I keep the point sharp to get the finest detail I can. I would like a little bigger handle and bulk, so I might just grab a 5/16" old gouge I have laying around and try to duplicate her angles. Will let you know my findings. I do believe your on to something.

Jeff Nicol
03-02-2010, 7:57 AM
John, Like me experimenting with things is what finds the daimond in the rough! Using what you have around is the way to do it. I have played a little with different spins on the Vortex tool and have come up with a couple that I like. Thanks for sharing your ideas.

Jeff

Steve Schlumpf
03-02-2010, 8:20 AM
John - I haven't experimented with any of my tools yet but sure like the idea of being able to get some additional detail in my finials! Will have to keep this idea in mind. Will also have to pick up one of Cindy's DVDs and find out what you are supposed to be doing when turning a finial!