PDA

View Full Version : This as to be a gloat!!*

David Gendron
03-01-2010, 8:42 PM
Good day crekers,
today, I went to pick up my cabinet that was part of an exibition and the owner of the gallery left a bag at my intention, and it the bag was a few things...
I know that they are not all usable, actualy the only one that is a user rigth now is the Dada plane(after sharpening its irons).

Andy Hsieh
03-01-2010, 10:54 PM
nice - looks like it has hardly been used.
I have one similar - only difference is mine actually looks it;s age :rolleyes:

they are fun to use.

David Gendron
03-01-2010, 11:07 PM
A few more pictures... And if any of you have any suggestions on these tools, regarding tuning, fixing etc, please chime in!

mike holden
03-02-2010, 10:15 AM
David,
First the obligatory -- YOU SUCK!!

The tools look fine, sharpen the irons and give em a go, that should tell you what, if any, refurbishment is needed.

Enjoy, and if it were me, I would try to find anything you could about the previous owner.
Mike

Jim Koepke
03-02-2010, 11:59 AM
Nice score.

jim

David Gendron
03-02-2010, 1:02 PM
Good point Mike about finding info on the owner! And the first one in the pictures, the dado plane, work realy well!!

David Keller NC
03-02-2010, 3:18 PM
David - nice to get a gift like that. One note - the first pictured dado plane is definitely not made of boxwood, despite what the label says - it's beech. The second dado is missing the knicker blade. Unlike the primary blade, where the plane is largely made around the individual blade (and so substituting a blade requires a new wedge, at minimum), you can usually substitute a stray knicker iron without too much difficulties.

If you can't find a knicker iron to fit, you can still use the plane to good effect - you'll simply have to knife a line in the surface of the wood on both sides of the dado.

Jeff Willard
03-02-2010, 5:10 PM
Yannow, that grooving plane looks very familiar:D.