PDA

View Full Version : Earth Rotation

Larry Frank
03-01-2010, 8:36 PM
I just read that the rotation of the earth increased due to the earthquake in Chile. The day was shortened by 1.26 microseconds and this is not unusual for large earthquakes. The axis of rotation also shifted by 3 inches.

Is this of much use - no but it is interesting

Paul Ryan
03-01-2010, 8:55 PM
How the heck do the Poindexters know that already?

Tom Veatch
03-02-2010, 1:02 AM
...The day was shortened by 1.26 microseconds ...

Does that mean quitting time comes earlier on Fridays and Mondays are shorter from now on? That's great news!! :)

Archie Hendrick
03-02-2010, 9:16 AM
I thought I felt a bit dizzier than usual. Just what I need, a shorter day.

(That is interesting:)).

Archie

Jerome Hanby
03-02-2010, 9:34 AM
Actually they don't know that it changed, a computer model based on the measured activity suggests that this may be the case. Reason is the same as why an ice skater's rotation increases during a spin when they pull their arms in toward their body. The axis of rotation shift is similar to what happens when you loose a tire weight except that the axis of rotation is not fixed (the axle) so it shifts instead of creating vibration.

The computer model is much more accurate that the old method of throwing a baseball around the earth and examining the travel stickers:D.

Lee Schierer
03-02-2010, 11:44 AM
Does that mean quitting time comes earlier on Fridays and Mondays are shorter from now on? That's great news!! :)

Yes and you also got a pay raise since you will be working less time for the same money. :D

Rod Sheridan
03-02-2010, 12:10 PM
I just read that the rotation of the earth increased due to the earthquake in Chile. The day was shortened by 1.26 microseconds and this is not unusual for large earthquakes. The axis of rotation also shifted by 3 inches.

Is this of much use - no but it is interesting

So, now my door frames are out of vertical, great!

Oh wait, they were anyway, now I have scientific excuse for my poor carpentry skills........Sweet:D

Russ Filtz
03-03-2010, 8:48 AM
A few million more and we can do away with Leap Year!

Craig Summers
03-03-2010, 10:33 AM
I wonder if Earthquakes zero themselves out, i mean with the Indonesia, Haiti, and Chile (and a zillion little ones), will the spin gain + loss = zero?

I dont trust computer models to predict much, we cann't even predict the local weather beyond 5 days. And dont even start about the CRU and AGW. Now farmers alamanac is a different forecasting system.

Larry Frank
03-03-2010, 8:37 PM
Yes, the initial reports were based upon calculations but on the NASA website they say that they will be able to confirm the data using space and earth based measurements. The following from NASA -

"They hope to detect the LOD (Length of Day) signal and pole shift when Earth rotation data from ground based and space-borne position sensors are reviewed."

Chris Kennedy
03-03-2010, 9:50 PM
I wonder if Earthquakes zero themselves out, i mean with the Indonesia, Haiti, and Chile (and a zillion little ones), will the spin gain + loss = zero?

I dont trust computer models to predict much, we cann't even predict the local weather beyond 5 days. And dont even start about the CRU and AGW. Now farmers alamanac is a different forecasting system.

Seriously? When I was a kid, if the weather forecasters could predict past 24 hours, let alone to the end of the week, it was amazing. Weather is the original chaotic system. The fact that they can predict anything is unbelievable.

Cheers,

Chris

Kent A Bathurst
03-04-2010, 1:30 PM
..... shortened by 1.26 microseconds........

If my math is correct, this means my 78 rpm's are now running at only 77.99998 rpm.

This must mean that us flat-earthers are NOT being pushed to the edge with quite as much force.

Myk Rian
03-04-2010, 1:35 PM
If my math is correct, this means my 78 rpm's are now running at only 77.99998 rpm.

This must mean that us flat-earthers are NOT being pushed to the edge with quite as much force.
That means there is less centrifugal force pulling you up, which translates to you weighing more.:D

Matt Ranum
03-04-2010, 5:24 PM
That means there is less centrifugal force pulling you up, which translates to you weighing more.:D

Great now I have another reason to be depressed.:rolleyes:

:D

Craig Summers
03-04-2010, 5:24 PM

This might be the six sigma reduction of earth-force

Bill Orbine
03-04-2010, 10:27 PM
It's a small setback.... usually, the days get longer as the earth continues to evolve.