PDA

View Full Version : Blue tape and hot glue method.

Brian Greb
03-01-2010, 5:39 PM
So I asked about reversing options... got some really solid ideas but I need to be able to work all the way to the rim, I also did not want a foot on this bowl... so I tried the blue tape and hot glue method. For those that haven't read the spring issue of wood-turning design here are the steps. well at least my steps.:D

Step One: turn a doughnut plate, then cover with blue tape and burnish in blue tape.

Step Two: turn and finish inside of bowl, apply tape.

Step Three: use a reversing taper to center bowl on doughnut... apply hot glue to contact point... glue donut to bowl.

Step Four: turn as normal, fairly heavy cuts are possible... sand and finish

Step Five: pry bowl off of doughnut, remove tape

Step Six: admire your bowl.

The best part is this method is much cheaper than a vacuum chuck.:)

Joe Herrmann
03-01-2010, 8:30 PM
this method. I was a bit sketical when David first mentioned the method but after seeing the results, I decided to run the article in the magazine. I tried the method recently on a natural edge bowl I was making and was very happy with the results. It is a great addition to the turning arsenal.

Joe Herrmann

Matt Hutchinson
03-01-2010, 8:37 PM
How cool! I would have never thought to even try something like that. It seems so sketchy, but it looks like a keeper! Thanks!

Hutch

Bernie Weishapl
03-01-2010, 9:05 PM
Going to have to stash that one in the old memory bank. Thanks.

David E Keller
03-01-2010, 9:15 PM
Nice looking bowl and a great tip. Looks like I need to subscribe to the magazine.

John Keeton
03-01-2010, 9:20 PM
Brian, I read the article, and was interested in trying this technique. Glad you jumped out there and did it!! Thanks!

And, by the way, the bowl turned out very nice! Great finish.

earl timmons
03-01-2010, 9:54 PM
I think the way he took care of centering the doughnut in the article was to glue it into the center of the bowl while it was still mounted after turning the inside of the bowl and then turning a tenon on the doughnut and mounting that into a chuck when reversing. This really takes any centering issue away in terms of positioning the doughnut in the bowl.

Brian Greb
03-01-2010, 10:19 PM
I think the way he took care of centering the doughnut in the article was to glue it into the center of the bowl while it was still mounted after turning the inside of the bowl and then turning a tenon on the doughnut and mounting that into a chuck when reversing. This really takes any centering issue away in terms of positioning the doughnut in the bowl.

You are correct sir... Thank you for pointing that out. Different turners different approaches. Also I did not have the luxury of a thick enough donut. On top of that I wanted to use my screw chuck/face plate to reverse the piece... plus I couldn't use my supernova2 due to it would have been to deep in the bowl to turn the allen screw. I just took an alternate method to achieve the same end results.

earl timmons
03-01-2010, 10:32 PM
I think your method is fine. I simply wanted those that may not have seen the article to be aware of how they could use a chuck. I am not sure what a reversing taper is so i have something to learn here. The authors suggestion for a faceplate was to turn a shallow recess instead of the tenon. The recess would match the diameter of the intended faceplate and this would accomplish the same thing as the turned tenon.

I really like the bowl.

Brian Effinger
03-01-2010, 10:55 PM
Glad to see it worked on a really nice bowl.

Baxter Smith
03-01-2010, 11:06 PM
Nice bowl and interesting solution to a problem! Thanks for sharing!

Mark Burge
03-02-2010, 12:31 AM
I am not sure what a reversing taper is so i have something to learn here.

Yes, the reversing taper is not something I'm familiar with either and a quick google search with the phrase in quotes yielded a patent for a "spring type bust developer." So, I'm certainly intrigued. Please give us more information.

I like your bowl and thank you for the step by step pictures.

Brian Greb
03-02-2010, 12:51 AM
Yes, the reversing taper is not something I'm familiar with either and a quick google search with the phrase in quotes yielded a patent for a "spring type bust developer." So, I'm certainly intrigued. Please give us more information.

I like your bowl and thank you for the step by step pictures.

I apologize I used the wrong terminology... It is a reverse chucking adaptor. threaded at one end and a #2 Morse taper at the other. See picture for clarification

Brian Greb
03-02-2010, 1:00 AM
Glad everyone seems to like the tip. Wish it was mine. I just hope I didn't steal the magazines thunder. It's a great publication just brimming with good ideas... and a few strange ones.

I'm glad y'all like the bowl... now I just have to make the base for it. I'll post pics of the finished piece once I complete the base.:)

Brian Greb
03-02-2010, 5:41 PM
I finally got the base to the bowl done... I said I would post some pics of the completed bowl, so being a man of my word here it is.
enjoy... I did:)

Wally Wenzel
03-02-2010, 5:56 PM
I like the base you came up with, are the balls glued and or screwed?
Wally

Brian Greb
03-02-2010, 9:08 PM
I like the base you came up with, are the balls glued and or screwed?
Wally

The balls are tennoned in to the ring and the bowl sits on the top of them.

David E Keller
03-02-2010, 11:11 PM
That bowl's got balls!:D

Very cool idea and nicely executed.