PDA

View Full Version : Thin woods

bill gervais
03-01-2010, 5:22 PM
I have been trying to find 1/16 solid chery for a project. Pieces wood only need to be 3-5 inches wide by any length over 12". I have not had that much luck searching to date. Milling my own would be possible but not something I would like to do at this time. Would anyone know of a reasonable, reliable source?
Any help would be appreciated.

Bill

Scott Shepherd
03-01-2010, 5:40 PM
Contact George M. Perzel on this forum. He sells it all.

Frank Corker
03-01-2010, 8:23 PM
Definitely agree George even managed to supply me with them and I'm in UK!

Jack Burton
03-01-2010, 9:31 PM
I checked out the webpage....prices look good! How much finishing does his wood need to be nice...or is it pretty good to go? I want some, but don't want to have to sand.......

Zsolt Paul
03-01-2010, 11:37 PM
George is a great guy to deal with, I had bought from him a few times. The pieces are 3/32" I believe, a 1/32" more than you need. Sometimes you get some pieces that are cupped, but at that thickness its almost unavoidable. Try wetting the concave side a bit.

Ken Liversidge
03-01-2010, 11:46 PM
Try http://www.certainlywood.com/ I've had a lot of luck with their cherry

Jim Coffee
03-02-2010, 12:19 AM
Colorado Heirloom should be able to help you. They will sand to your specified thickness.

Lee DeRaud
03-02-2010, 1:44 AM
George is a great guy to deal with, I had bought from him a few times. The pieces are 3/32" I believe, a 1/32" more than you need.Unless he's changed his processing method recently, it's more like 5/32"-11/64".
(And I have a rather large stack of his wood and a caliper to prove it. :cool:)

I'm a bit puzzled about what anyone is going to do with 1/16" solid cherry:
it's going to have to be laminated to something else anyway, so you might as well use veneer.

Lee DeRaud
03-02-2010, 1:51 AM
I checked out the webpage....prices look good! How much finishing does his wood need to be nice...or is it pretty good to go? I want some, but don't want to have to sand.......Depends on what you're doing with it. It's sanded to 120 IIRC, smooth enough to face glue (I use it to laminate up cribbage boards), but I wouldn't call it "finish-ready" and I don't think George does either.

Ryan Welch
03-02-2010, 1:58 AM
I have been trying to find 1/16 solid chery for a project. Pieces wood only need to be 3-5 inches wide by any length over 12". I have not had that much luck searching to date. Milling my own would be possible but not something I would like to do at this time. Would anyone know of a reasonable, reliable source?
Any help would be appreciated.

Bill

Kc-hardwoods specializes in thin lumber, check out their ebay store below they have what you are looking for.
http://stores.ebay.com/KC-Hardwoods-Woodworking-Products

Frank Corker
03-02-2010, 4:42 AM
I checked out the webpage....prices look good! How much finishing does his wood need to be nice...or is it pretty good to go? I want some, but don't want to have to sand.......

Jack PM (private message) him, he's an active member of the Creek.

Michael Hunter
03-02-2010, 6:04 AM
If George can't help, try looking for "constructional veneer" from people that sell veneers for marquetry.
It is usually 1/16" thick (though can vary), smooth surfaced but unfinished.

I have only ever bought beech, but a quick check shows that my supplier (in the UK) also does cherry.