PDA

View Full Version : Rockwell Scrollsaw

Wyatt Holm
03-01-2010, 4:43 PM
Hello,
I have had a Rockwell Scrollsaw for a few years. It is very nice looking machine. It has about 30" throat, so it is big. The problem why I haven't used it was because it did not have chuck jaws. So I got with some of my friends, designed and built some. It holds the blades quite well, but it keeps breaking them. I assume it is because there is not enough tension. Do I need to replace the tension spring? Or is there some other problem? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Wyatt

Wyatt Holm
03-04-2010, 8:57 PM
Anyone going to reply?

John Terefenko
03-04-2010, 9:49 PM
Anyone going to reply?

I do not know the saw so I can not officially answer you but can say when you tighten the blade, try plucking it and if you get a nice crisp ping then you have enough tension. Maybe it is you have too much tension. Maybe your blades are slipping out of the holders and snapping when you go to saw with it. Maybe you are using cheap blades. Maybe you are pushing too hard when cutting. If I am not mistaken those are the saws that the blades goes straight up and down like on a sewing machine and if that is the case they cut slower than a standard saw of today that has parallel arms. Hows that for maybes. Check for some of those and report back.

Paul Nienaber
03-04-2010, 10:03 PM
You may have better luck over at owwm.org