PDA

View Full Version : Congratulations Canadian Hockey, eh!

Jason Strauss
03-01-2010, 2:24 PM
Congratulations to our friends in the Great White North!

I'm not a huge hockey fan, but what a match yesterday. In fact, if it weren't CANADA vs. USA, I likely wouldn't have watched it; that's how inspiring it was. It's fitting, though, that your guys won the Olympic Gold on the home turf. As much as us Americans appreciate well played sporting events, I don't think many would disagree that Canadians probably appreciate a good hockey win more than most folks in the States.

Now, like many Americans, I get a little chocked up hearing a well sung or played version of our national anthem - it really should have that level of meaning for all of us. I have never, however, been stirred similarly by another country's tune...until yeasterday afternoon. Hearing the thousands in the hockey arena sing 'Oh Canada' yesterday put a lump in my throat. I suppose that it got me thinking of our entwined histories and collective fate. Anyhow, nice work!

I'm sure that Canada's hosting of a successful winter games will inspire more to "Take off, to The Great White North" to discover that it really is "a beauty way to go"! (Hopefully, some will catch the Bob and Doug McKinzey reference here...)

Lee Schierer
03-01-2010, 2:40 PM
It was a great game and played really well by both sides. I have no problem with the outcome. It was anybodies game. Living 20 miles south of the northern border means we hear a lot about Canada.

I really liked Tom Brokaw's piece on the Gander support that got dropped on them as a result of 9/11. We all need to treat our northern neighbors like good neighbors instead of making it hard for them to come south. Even as a citizen crossing our borders seems intimidating. Not so going into Canada. It's always, Hello, where are you going, Toronto, eh, great place to visit go see a show while you are there. Are you bringing any alcohol or firearms. Have a good day, Eh!

Ted Calver
03-01-2010, 4:47 PM
It was an inspiring game in many respects. I stopped watching NHL hockey because of all the fisticuffs. The Olympic game was good clean hard-hitting hockey....the way the game was meant to be played. Both teams were winners in my view.

Bob Rufener
03-01-2010, 5:27 PM
I used to watch NHL hockey but like Ted, I stopped watching because of the fights. It seems like this has become a major element of NHL because, unfortunately, many fans seem to go just for the fights. I wasn't able to see the Canada/USA game because we were driving to FL at the time but I read about it in the USA TODAY paper and it sounded like a textbook hockey game that could have gone either way. Congratulations to Canada on their win. I wish I could have watched it.

Chuck Wintle
03-01-2010, 5:47 PM
It was a great game and played really well by both sides. I have no problem with the outcome. It was anybodies game. Living 20 miles south of the northern border means we hear a lot about Canada.

I really liked Tom Brokaw's piece on the Gander support that got dropped on them as a result of 9/11. We all need to treat our northern neighbors like good neighbors instead of making it hard for them to come south. Even as a citizen crossing our borders seems intimidating. Not so going into Canada. It's always, Hello, where are you going, Toronto, eh, great place to visit go see a show while you are there. Are you bringing any alcohol or firearms. Have a good day, Eh!
Lee,

Unfortunately in this post 9/11 era Americans are right to beef up security at the borders going into the USA...on that note i wonder how many illegal aliens are going south from Canada. :D
by the way the shopping is always better in the US. My mother used to buy us clothes when we were while visiting relatives in Boston....they were superior to anything sold in canada at the time.

Paul Ryan
03-01-2010, 9:03 PM
I am with the rest of you I don't watch the NHL due to the fights. The olympic hockey was really enjoyable to watch. I was rooting for the US team for obvious reasons.

But I also wanted to experience the uproar and civil unrest in Canada if their team would have lost to the yanks twice. I think the Canadians were very suprised in how well the US team played. I sure was. Congrates to the US players for a well deserved silver.

Ray Bell
03-01-2010, 10:22 PM
It was a truly great game. One of those games you wanted both teams to win. Congrats Canada!!

Stephen Stark
03-01-2010, 11:39 PM
The TV audience was estimated to be as high as 80% of the country's population, around 26 million, with an average viewership of almost 17 million. We tend to take the game pretty serious. The US had a great series of games and will be a force to be reckoned with in the future. Just a great all around game to watch. And you can't beat the outcome. :D A happy camper in Ontario.

Archie Hendrick
03-02-2010, 9:36 AM
I couldn't be happier for our neighbors to the north. I get up to Canada occasionally to run my spaniels in their field trials and the folks are always the most gracious hosts.

The hockey game was almost as exciting as Kmart the Bear getting his Gold on Saturday, eh?

Archie

lou vendrame
03-02-2010, 12:52 PM
Congratulations from this Canadian to Team USA for winning the olympic podium. Canada had unwisely declared before the games began that they would win the most total medals. It was called 'Own The Podium' and cost 117 million dollars over a 5 year period. I felt a little ashamed that the Canadian networks didn't declare the USA the winning nation. The final hockey game was a great contest but it could have gone either way. There was no dominant team. Let's all get ready for Russia.

Chris Walls
03-02-2010, 9:40 PM
:)

I could not lose, my mother is Canadian , my Father is American. Either way our family is a winner. A well played game on both sides.

Chris