PDA

View Full Version : Q on Craftsman TS

Chas Fuggetta
03-01-2010, 2:01 PM
Howdy Gang
I'm a new wordworker in training and have a question on a Craftsman TS I saw on Craigslist.
The TS in question is a113298762 with extensions. The current owner states that the saw is in very good condition but missing a blade guard and miter gauge. He's asking $125 for it. It seems the table size is about 30"x44" and is about as big as I can go due to limited space in my basement.
Initially I'll be using it for various home improvement projects but will be moving on to furniture once I get my feet wet and a few more tools. Do you think this would be a good purchase?

Regards,
Chas in Monument, CO

Duane Murray
03-01-2010, 2:15 PM
I had one of those saws a few years ago. If I remember right it was a fairly stable saw but the motor was a bit weak which doesn't suprise me. I found, over the years, motor undersizing seems to be a common problem with most Craftsman's stationary tools. As far as the price, I'd think 125 is a bit much for a tool that old, when figured in with the lack of parts but that's just my opinion. :confused: Have a great day.

Lee Schierer
03-01-2010, 2:24 PM
That is a decent price if the saw is in good shape (runs and not covered in rust) and is a cast iron top saw with 3/4" wide miter slots. The missing miter gauge is no big deal as the factory ones aren't that accurate. You can pick up a really good after market one. The guard is not very user friendly, but it does guard the blade. I generally don't use mine since it is in the way much of the time. You can also buy after market guards. Don't buy it if it is either direct drive (blade mounts on the motor shaft) or flexible shaft drive (motor is connected to the arbor by a flexible shaft). Both of those saws were pure junk. The craftsman aluminum topped saws are not much better as teh table surfaces were not very flat. (I own a craftsman saw).

However, by the time you buy the after market miter gauge and guard you are going to have more money in the accessories than you will have in the saw so you might want to look around for a better equipped saw. The good news is that if this saw you are looking at has 3/4" wide miter slots your miter gauge will fit any other saw. I also suggest replacing the belt with a link belt and put on a Freud LU82M blade as soon as you get it home. It will run much smoother. You may also want to consider an LM75 or LU87 rip blade.

scott spencer
03-01-2010, 2:48 PM
Chas - The parts are worth ~ $125, so it's a low risk purchase with potential to be a serviceable saw...the guts are essentially the same as the Ridgid contractor saws. The fence isn't particularly good, and may be something you'll want to consider upgrading in the future...the Delta T2 is a good bang for the buck at ~ $150 from Tools-Plus. There should be miter gauges and blade guards available used, possibly on Ebay, if you choose to pursue them also. Just keep in mind the overall cost if do all the upgrades.

Chas Fuggetta
03-01-2010, 3:03 PM
That is a decent price if the saw is in good shape (runs and not covered in rust) and is a cast iron top saw with 3/4" wide miter slots. The missing miter gauge is no big deal as the factory ones aren't that accurate. You can pick up a really good after market one. The guard is not very user friendly, but it does guard the blade. I generally don't use mine since it is in the way much of the time. You can also buy after market guards. Don't buy it if it is either direct drive (blade mounts on the motor shaft) or flexible shaft drive (motor is connected to the arbor by a flexible shaft). Both of those saws were pure junk. The craftsman aluminum topped saws are not much better as teh table surfaces were not very flat. (I own a craftsman saw).

However, by the time you buy the after market miter gauge and guard you are going to have more money in the accessories than you will have in the saw so you might want to look around for a better equipped saw. The good news is that if this saw you are looking at has 3/4" wide miter slots your miter gauge will fit any other saw. I also suggest replacing the belt with a link belt and put on a Freud LU82M blade as soon as you get it home. It will run much smoother. You may also want to consider an LM75 or LU87 rip blade.

Good stuff guys! IIRC, I upgraded my Ryobi TS blade to the LU82M...or something very similar to that so I can swap that out. And the gentleman said it is a belt driven saw.

Troy Turner
03-01-2010, 3:10 PM
Chas - I replaced a Craftsman I bought about 10 yrs ago with an older one like you're looking at. Don't think it's the same model, but back then, things were built to last. Solid and durable. Granted there may be issues with the motor size, fence, etc., but if you follow some threads, guys are always going bigger anyway and spending more on updgrades than they paid for their saws now. I'm still using the same v-belt, stock fence, and stock miter gauge with mine. Don't woodwork for a living, but just a hobby. Once I get some funds together, I might think about upgrading, but for now, sounds like you got a good deal.

Paid $225 for mine last year. Make sure the table is in good shape and it runs and you'll be happy with your purchase.

Stephen Edwards
03-01-2010, 9:13 PM
Chas,

You can do fine work with that table saw once it's properly tuned. There are many threads here at SMC that will teach you how to do that if you don't already know how.

To put things into perspective, check out this recent thread:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=134212

Mike Henderson, a very accomplished woodworker and long time member of SMC recently got a SawStop table saw. To my surprise Mike informed us that he's been working with a Craftsman contractor saw in a shop space about 10' x 11'!

If you'll check out some of Mike's work you'll see what CAN be done with a Craftsman contractor saw! The point that I'm trying to make is that even though a bigger, better saw would be nice to have, it isn't necessary to have in order to do fine woodworking. IMO, Mike's work proves that point.

If the saw is decent shape, I think that's a good price.

Chas Fuggetta
03-02-2010, 12:02 AM
Thanks for all the input gang. I spoke with the seller of the TS this evening and he said he DOES have both the miter gauge and blade guard. He also stated that the saw runs smoothly and there is only a 'bit of surface rust'. He is located quite a bit away from me but has agreed to meet me in Co. Spgs. on Weds. :cool:

Now...off to read the forums! :D

Regards,
Chas

"Ignorance is curable, stupidity is forever"